Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raking my Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:32 AM
R Racing
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Raking my Dyna?

Ok dudes and dudets. How much rake do you have on your Dyna's? I'm in the process of changing my front end and want to change my rake from 28 degrees to about 35. I have talked to a few front end companies and some say its not much difference in handling and others say anything over 3 over stock is bad news? I know it will change the handling of my bike, But I don't want to be what could be considered dangerous( My 9 year old daughter is sometimes my co pilot ) I love the look of a streached out bike and also wanted to add 2 inches to the forks. Any imput is welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Jim

Old 09-13-2006, 12:49 AM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Raking my Dyna?

Jim,
Keep an eye on your rake and trail, Here's a link that explains the triangle situation =>R n T explained<=

Here's a calculator =>R n T calculator<=

I've been getting into these measurements because I have a buddy who wants to sell me his '86 Sportster that's been made into a basket case through him trying to customize it. I've decided to keep the 9" over springer he's got on it and modify the rake and trail to get the bike to sit flat across the road instead of having the front 6" higher than the rear. I would like to know how you go about modifying this project as it may give me some input as to how to go about this procedure.

I'll be watching this thread.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:56 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim,

Are you doing it all via the tripple trees? or cutting the frame and changing head angle as well?

Old 09-13-2006, 02:07 AM
BlackOak®
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a pretty good rake change, I will assume you plan on doing it with cups/triple trees? Bad idea!! If you are going to that much of a rake you should have the neck cut and rewelded, or purchase an aftermarket frame and slide your stuff over. Anything over a 4 degree rake on a stock frame using trees or cups, you are looking at some handling problems. Been there done that....if you want that long raked out look....don't try to get it out of your dyna. If you are dead set on doing it....there is a place that sells a kit....

www.chopper-kits-usa.com

BlackOak®

Old 09-13-2006, 02:27 AM
deuce dude
Road Master

i agree with blackoak, dont go over 3 or 4 degrees with cups or trees.....i did 3 degrees and its just right......

Old 09-13-2006, 11:06 AM
ameristo
Cruiser

From my own experience

The Project:

I have an 04 FXDL. Stock with 32* rake 5.1" trail. I added 3* cups for a total of 35* rake in the head. I then replaced the front end with a softail front which has a 3* rake in the trees, for a grand total of 38*. I added 2" over tubes used the stock 19" tire with a custom engineering axle/spacer kit. National heavy duty touring windshield. (for dem long trips.)

The Result:

Raised the front of the bike by about an inch. Handles a lot heavier on slow speeds, a little slower at high speeds. I have had this bike up to 110mph with the windshield on it and not even the slightest wobble, in fact it feels very stable. I calculate the trail to be closer to 3" now.

Do Overs:

I wished I had used the stock length forks and lowered the rear by 1" instead, by using 11" progressive 440's.

Comments:

I do not know the overall difference in length between the stock FXDL front end and the stock FXST, so I really do not know how much I actually extended the front forks. Also, I started with a lot more stock rake. I agree with rudedog do your homework and be very mindful of trail.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6102/A0E9FEFBE07F443086F7E78E7FEED64C.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6102/76FB715F945845C1BFF5D9C3A7C4476F.gif[/IMG]

Old 09-13-2006, 12:57 PM
R Racing
Tourer

I was going to use cups. But after checking with the calculator ( Thanks for the links !!) It looks like I need to cut the neck and move it 8 degrees and add 4 inches to my forks and use 5 degree trees to bring my trail back to stock and give me a raked front end. Thanks for all of your help!!!

Jim

Old 09-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Draggin S
Road Master

Well,

My Dyna has 34 degrees of rake and the trail is 5.1 and it handles great.......I guess that's because it's a Wideglide and comes that way from the factory????? You must have a reason for using your existing bike because the obvious answer is to just get a Wideglide???

Good luck,
Draggin S
V.B. Wideglide

Old 09-13-2006, 01:37 PM
R Racing
Tourer

Yes , To answer to your question Divorce. I can't afford a new bike at this time and my Super Glide is paid for.

Jim

Old 09-14-2006, 07:23 PM
scotch
Advanced

good, and unfortunate reason....

Quick Reply: Raking my Dyna?