Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raking my Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Vivid Streetbob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, thanks guys-thanks alot! I've sent HHI an email. I don't know how they stack-up against accutronix but they look great. Had a harley tech tell me recently that accutronix was top notch. I personally don't know. Sounds like I better go 3 degrees and if I go with HHI my tubes will actually be longer because of the hidden spacer at the top. If there are any drawbacks to the bearing cups please let me know because I will probably have them on hand also while tore down. Have a great day and thanks again.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:52 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

When using the cups, you have to take the longer stem that comes with the cups and have it machined at a machine shop to match the stem that comes with the tree. Not a big deal, and is quick/easy work for a machinist. Using cups increases the spacing between the top and bottom tree by 1 inch.

I didn't get trees....I bought an entire frontend off of eBay for less. Brand New, 41mm wideglide 3 degree rake Rick Doss Waterfall design and it's chrome plated. It was made for a Softail, and the tubes are standard softail length, which is roughly 1.5 inches longer than a Superglide.

~Joe

Old 11-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Jonasbaggen
6th Gear

Originally Posted by KYFATBOB
You will be suprised at the difference 3 degrees will make, I was skeptical until I done it and was more than pleased in the difference. I think the kit was around 600 to my door, but I mine is a wide glide so the mid glide might be a little bit cheaper. And as far as anything out of the norm there wasnt anything, they send everything you would need in the kit.
Hallo! I am new here and live in Sweden. I have done three triple tree changes on my FXD -03 and would be glad to share my experienses.
My current fork is forklegs from a 2006 FXD (49mm) with triple trees made by Tolle Scandinavia (wideglide 250mm c.c) with 4 degree rake. The exact trail in 2,84 inches but my bike handles very nice. 1 inch lowered in the back and also a 21" frontwheel. Before that i had a Tolle made 3 degree rake triple tree with my std 39mm fork parts. The bike also handled very nice with that setup. My first triple tree had a 5 degree rake that I also used with my std 39mm parts. It was terrible and also dangerous to drive. Tolle Scandinavia (a world known company explained the hole thing for me about the rake and what parts to stay away from. The 3 degree triple tree rake will make a big differens in how your bike looks and it also handles better than the original. The 4 degree is closer to the limit and you should be careful with what parts you choose. I hope I have helped you a bit on your way.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Jonasbaggen
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Vivid Streetbob
Ok, thanks guys-thanks alot! I've sent HHI an email. I don't know how they stack-up against accutronix but they look great. Had a harley tech tell me recently that accutronix was top notch. I personally don't know. Sounds like I better go 3 degrees and if I go with HHI my tubes will actually be longer because of the hidden spacer at the top. If there are any drawbacks to the bearing cups please let me know because I will probably have them on hand also while tore down. Have a great day and thanks again.
I made a quote to the wrong meber first. SORRY!
Hallo! I am new here and live in Sweden. I have done three triple tree changes on my FXD -03 and would be glad to share my experienses.
My current fork is forklegs from a 2006 FXD (49mm) with triple trees made by Tolle Scandinavia (wideglide 250mm c.c) with 4 degree rake. The exact trail in 2,84 inches but my bike handles very nice. 1 inch lowered in the back and also a 21" frontwheel. Before that i had a Tolle made 3 degree rake triple tree with my std 39mm fork parts. The bike also handled very nice with that setup. My first triple tree had a 5 degree rake that I also used with my std 39mm parts. It was terrible and also dangerous to drive. Tolle Scandinavia (a world known company explained the hole thing for me about the rake and what parts to stay away from. The 3 degree triple tree rake will make a big differens in how your bike looks and it also handles better than the original. The 4 degree is closer to the limit and you should be careful with what parts you choose. I hope I have helped you a bit on your way.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:56 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

The key to remember here, is that the raked bearing cups change the FRAME RAKE and therefore saves the much needed trail that is reduced by using raked trees/forks. Do a google search for the "rb racing rake trail calculator". Type in the stock 28 degrees for a FXD Superglide, and then add 3 to 31, then try different fork rake figures to see how the trail numbers work.

Also....keep in mind that increasing rake LOWERS the front of the bike....that, is why I got 1.5 inch longer tubes.....1 inch would have been sufficient.

At one time I built a softtail chopper that had a 34 degree head tube and I used 7 degree trees. Scary/wobbly at speeds over 65-70, but looked sweet! Just not practical on a bike that ever sees the highway. In general the handling of the bike changes dramatically, so make sure you take your time and get used to the way things are after the change.

~Joe

Old 11-13-2010, 01:59 AM
Jonasbaggen
6th Gear

Originally Posted by traveler
The key to remember here, is that the raked bearing cups change the FRAME RAKE and therefore saves the much needed trail that is reduced by using raked trees/forks. Do a google search for the "rb racing rake trail calculator". Type in the stock 28 degrees for a FXD Superglide, and then add 3 to 31, then try different fork rake figures to see how the trail numbers work.

Also....keep in mind that increasing rake LOWERS the front of the bike....that, is why I got 1.5 inch longer tubes.....1 inch would have been sufficient.

At one time I built a softtail chopper that had a 34 degree head tube and I used 7 degree trees. Scary/wobbly at speeds over 65-70, but looked sweet! Just not practical on a bike that ever sees the highway. In general the handling of the bike changes dramatically, so make sure you take your time and get used to the way things are after the change.

~Joe
Good reading and I fully agree with you. My triple trees are made so they actually add 2 inches to the forklegs compared with the OEM trees. I have read the article before (rb racing rake trail calculator) and I think it`s a great artikel. My first triple trees with the 5 degree gave the result you describe on your softail chopper. It was really scary when the wobble hit in. Feels good to get it right even if it takes a wile // Jonas