Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raking my Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:09 PM
trikky2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ameristo
From my own experience

The Project:

I have an 04 FXDL. Stock with 32* rake 5.1" trail. I added 3* cups for a total of 35* rake in the head. I then replaced the front end with a softail front which has a 3* rake in the trees, for a grand total of 38*. I added 2" over tubes used the stock 19" tire with a custom engineering axle/spacer kit. National heavy duty touring windshield. (for dem long trips.)

The Result:

Raised the front of the bike by about an inch. Handles a lot heavier on slow speeds, a little slower at high speeds. I have had this bike up to 110mph with the windshield on it and not even the slightest wobble, in fact it feels very stable. I calculate the trail to be closer to 3" now.

Do Overs:

I wished I had used the stock length forks and lowered the rear by 1" instead, by using 11" progressive 440's.

Comments:

I do not know the overall difference in length between the stock FXDL front end and the stock FXST, so I really do not know how much I actually extended the front forks. Also, I started with a lot more stock rake. I agree with rudedog do your homework and be very mindful of trail.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6102/A0E9FEFBE07F443086F7E78E7FEED64C.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6102/76FB715F945845C1BFF5D9C3A7C4476F.gif[/IMG]
Ameristo,
I was wonder if u could tell me where u got those cups from, I thought FXD's didn't have removable cups, did you need a different stem? I want to put a softail inverted front end on my FXDL and that would be the missing link to sloving my problem

Old 02-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Gwjvw
Road Warrior

where would u go to get the neck cut and welded back ? I would like to go out another few degrees also!

Old 02-25-2010, 04:10 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trikky2
Ameristo,
I was wonder if u could tell me where u got those cups from, I thought FXD's didn't have removable cups, did you need a different stem? I want to put a softail inverted front end on my FXDL and that would be the missing link to sloving my problem
His last response to this thread was 3 1/2 years ago and he hasn't been on the forum for four months. May not get a speedy reply from him.

Check out Vulvan Manufacturing for your raked cups.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:14 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gwjvw
where would u go to get the neck cut and welded back ? I would like to go out another few degrees also!
R Racing ended up building the rake in the frame neck on his bike himself. If you haven't seen picures of his work, its worth pulling up some pics from his gallery. It is an incredible bike.

I think most who have explored having the frame cut, raked, and welded by a professional also figured out why chopper kits exist.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:34 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior

You betcha! You'd be putting out some $$$$ to have a shop cut and rake your frame. It's not Cheap, per say, on a normal frame. On a boxed frame like ours, go in with your pants down. All bullshit aside, Traveler is still active on this board as far as I know. His bike is raked using cups and raked trees and he has nothing but good things to say about his. Found it, 3* cups and 3* trees for a total of 34*.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/146309-superglide-raked-front-end-option.html

Last edited by CountryPunk; 02-25-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Vivid Streetbob
Advanced
Default Rake Street Bob

Guys I know this is an old thread. Hopefully I can get some advice. I've read and read til I can't read anymore. I see that alot of folks are using 3 degree trees and 3 degree cups. What would happen if I just went with accutronix 5 degree kit with no cups? I've spent a ton on my 07 street bob, it currently has less than 800 miles on it. I know its rediculous but I love projects and working on the bike. I'm about to buy a wide tree complete kit. I'm afraid that a 3 degree won't be enough of a difference. A 5 degree will still be less than a factory wide glide so really that's what I'm leaning towards. I've read so much conflicting stuff on the trail. I'd like to know if anyone has simply used a 5 degree kit only and how it is working for them. Seeger cycles has a picture of a black street bob with a 5 on it but it's a mid tree and it happens to be there own design which will not work with the fork lock. Accutronix does make a kit that will work but not sure on handling and undecided on the cup idea. Comments appreciated.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:59 PM
KYFATBOB
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both the street bob and fat bob are raked 29 degrees, I got the notion to rake out my fat bob and started doing alot and I mean alot of research and talked to different vendors about it. I ended up going with hawg halters 3 degree trees for my bike, and let me tell you those 3 degrees made a world of difference in the looks of the bike for the better. As far as handling very significant difference, only thing I noticed is that it doesnt take as much effort to get it turn. The way my trees are made the tubes have an adapter that screw in to them and then they screw in to the "bottom" of the top triple tree leaving your trees with a clean look to them, with them being made that way it and some will disagree on here about this but even the tech at the HD shop told me it brought my trail back to almost what it should be. He done a before and after measurement of my frame and there is only an 1/8 of an inch difference. Mine handles the same at 60 as it does at 100+. So do some research but I do know that with 5 degrees you will need longer tubes.

Here is a link to some pics I posted of mine.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...rom-today.html

Old 10-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Vivid Streetbob
Advanced

Man, thanks for the reply! That is a beautiful bike. All I've read shows that if you use 5 degrees bike will need to be lowered in the rear. Do you recall what kinda money the kit was? My street bob has the mid glide front so I have priced the complete kit from accutronix and I can get it to my door for around 729. But going with a 3 or a 5 degree rake is the question. I would think the 3 would not be a noticeable difference but I may be wrong. I'm gonna google the brand you have they look clean. Does the fork lock still work? Any other losses or crazy mods or is it straight forward. Thank you-Rod

Old 10-08-2010, 02:26 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

My bike is posted above. It has 29 degrees in the frame, and I added 6 degrees through the cups and trees. 5 degree trees alone, will decrease your trail to a point where your bike will develop a nasty wobble at speeds above 60 MPH. This is why I split the difference by adding a bit to the frame (the cups) and adding a bit to the forks (trees). By doing this, my bike is still safe to ride. My fork tubes are also longer to compensate for the raking.

~Joe

Old 10-08-2010, 02:35 PM
KYFATBOB
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will be suprised at the difference 3 degrees will make, I was skeptical until I done it and was more than pleased in the difference. I think the kit was around 600 to my door, but I mine is a wide glide so the mid glide might be a little bit cheaper. And as far as anything out of the norm there wasnt anything, they send everything you would need in the kit.

Quick Reply: Raking my Dyna?