Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire pressure loss how much is normal

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:35 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My garage is extremely hot. now that I think about it my bicycle tires were way low. I just went for a bicycle ride and the tires were extremely low as well,but it took a month for them to go flat.

I am gonna go check my tire pressures in a few minutes and see where they are at after 48hrs since last check.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:57 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member

I think I may have lost a pound or 2 by not seating the gauge properly on the front tire but the readings are currently.
37lbs rear after 2 days since last topoff
35lbs front after 2 days since last topoff

Am I being Obssesive Compilsive about this?? If so just tell me. I know I am a freak about my bikes and cars.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:25 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Nothing wrong with checking your tires once a week. If you don't have an air compressor already go buy one. If all you have to do is worry about your tires and whether your being **** or not, go buy an **** thermometer and keep it by the compressor. j/k

Old 09-24-2010, 06:30 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loose around 2#s every two weeks I'm 78+ % Nitrogen since that's what is in normal air. When it cools down it might be a few more pounds.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:42 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default T.P.

Take a little soapy water and put it on the valve stems to check for leaks. It will show if your tires/tubes are pinched... If it is leaking through the valve stem, nitrogen will NOT help.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:02 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,882 Likes on 822 Posts

I'll average a 2-3 pound loss weekly in the front, and about the same loss every 2-3 weeks in the rear. I'll check by gauge once weekly, then "thump" the tires on a daily basis.

The dealership told me the Streetbob wheels are bad about leaking air.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:04 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad somebody else brought this up.

I've been experiencing the same thing since I bought the bike. Nothing really serious, but on mine it's the Front tire that likes to go down a couple pounds every week or so. Back tire, not quite as much.

I have a portable, battery operated compressor that only takes a minute or so to bring the tires back up to normal but it's a little bit of a PITD. I also have a 30 gallon compressor but the stem on the filler is too long to work its way around the spokes.

Anyway, glad to hear it's not just me. Maybe it has something to do with the laced wheels? Or the tubes? I thought at first, 'Maybe there's air trapped between the tube and the tire and that's giving me a false reading. It should work itself out.' Not.

Oh well, I guess it's the price you pay for having laced wheels. I can live with it.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:22 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member

I did the water valve stem check. Checks fine.

I guess I will recomend staying away from the Bikemaster tubes that Eastern Performance Cycles sells and spend the extra dough on HD brand tubes. I had less loss with them. 2-3 lbs a week

I have an air compressor but I ride daily and its a PITA to top off tires all the time cuz its like 100 degrees in my garage and I dont want to be in there for more than the time it takes to roll out and hit the button.

I will be installing a set of Ultra Heavy Duty tubes that are designed for racing dirt bikes in Baja and see if that helps,but due to the fact that I have freshly powdercoated wheels I am gonna hold out until I cant stand it anymore. These things are like 3-4mm thick. I am sure I will have to use Dyna Beads with them cuz they make a dirt bike shake sometimes.

Thanks for the replies and feedback,as always much appreciated.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:53 AM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume those are not name brand tubes.

Remember that even though you replaced the crappy core stems you only replaced half of the valve system because if the original cores were crappy the original crappy stems are still there.

Did you handle the tubes? Did they feel thin, texture of the tube surface seem different. When something doesn't look right or feel right it's not right.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same problem here with my new Metz's.

Fixed the problem with NO2

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ssure-wtf.html

Quick Reply: Tire pressure loss how much is normal