Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

19" VS 21" Front Wheel Handling?? And Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:14 AM
stbobfisher
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 19" VS 21" Front Wheel Handling?? And Fitment

Its time for new tires again and I was thinking about doing a 21" front tire on bike. I have seen a couple with the wider rim and larger 21" tire on it and it looks great!
So here is my Questions before i jump into this, I push my bike hard and ride it hard in the turns love going to the mountains, right now my bike handles very good for a cruiser and I do not want to give that up for Some looks improvment. How does it handle in comparison?
Will It fit under the stock 06 St Bob front fender? What width is the front wheel hoop that I need? And what size tire is everybody using when they go to the wide 21".
Thanks Chris

Old 09-22-2010, 08:23 AM
arkieollie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't sound like I ride as hard as you do but I have put over 15,000 miles on my bike since going to the 21" and have had no issues. I think it rides a little better.

I went with the 3.25" hoop from Jireh Cycles because I don't like a thinner front tire. I forgot what the measurements on the tire were but I think it is a Python or Cobra (some snake).

I have an 07 Bob and the 21" fits NICELY underneath the front fender.....looks good.

There are a lot of threads on this subject....do a search.

Last edited by arkieollie; 09-22-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Think for that hoop tire size would be 120/70x21 and the snake thing would be an Avon Venom or Cobra
If your looking for something just to fill up under the fender and a fatter tire get an Avon Venom 110/90x19 on your original wheel... just an idea ??

Last edited by Sumpnut; 09-22-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:39 AM
zoopman
Road Master

I think that wheel size would not make that much difference---It seems to be the size of the tire that makes all the difference. For me I tend to like the wider (fatter) tire as it seems to track better on grooved roads and tar snakes. With fatter tire there will be more rubber on the road for the "hard turns in the mountains". I say get the wheel ya like with a width that would allow you to fit as many different tire sizes as possible.

The following users liked this post:
Ronald Odett (01-28-2021)
Old 09-22-2010, 01:00 PM
stbobfisher
Cruiser

ok so after searching the forums for more info i have most of my answers, and i guess the handling comes down to opinion not fact, this leaves me up in the air about wich direction to go, was looking at the ME880 tires so that I could match front and rear tires, I have enjoyed my Pirelli tires but they do not have a front 21 that matches there night dragon rear. What other options is out for there for matching front and rear tires.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:50 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

• Handling is subjective to the rider experience and skill level.
  • Rotating mass and Newtons law. The further you go from the axle the heavier the wheel becomes when rotating. The more radius with the same static weight tire will weigh more when rotating.
  • Wheels do not touch the road, the tire does. The question should be who makes the best rubber and what size rim does it fit on.
You must decide what you are willing to sacrifice to gain what. Even on the same wheel, again what are you willing to get and what are you willing to loose. High millage = hard tires which do not grip well. Best handling tires will only last one day at best on the track (at < $200/ea.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:55 PM
32vld
Road Master

Larger wheel tracks straighter but you lose in other ways because the tire is narrower and side wall height is less.

Narrower tire gives smaller tire contact area, tire more likely to be effected by tar strips, expansion cracks between lanes will catch the tire more readily. Rain grooves will make the bike shake more. As will steel grate bridges.

Less side wall height means less sidewall to compress so harsher ride and less sidewall height more likely to damage wheel when you hit a pot hole.

The old look verses function.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:47 PM
stbobfisher
Cruiser

I am more interested in performance over mileage or looks, but if i can get the same handling from a 21 wich will be wider than the stock tire thats on the bike now. than the thats the best of both, handling and looks, mileage is not that important to me I expect to replace tires once a year (give or take a little)