Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you lowered your Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:47 AM
maryland blackout
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Have you lowered your Dyna?

So I want to lower my superglide in the rear. What are some ways to do it and did it affect the steering/riding? Is changing the shocks the easiest way and is that an easy switch? Pics are always appreciated.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:57 AM
dFREDb
Club Member

I dropped mine with 11.5 inch Progressive 440's. The effective drop at the bottom of the rear fender was about 2.5 inches. This affected the trail slightly, making the steering a little "loose" at very low speeds. I dropped the front 2 inches with the Progressive drop in lowering springs and it handles great. I am very satisfied with the results.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:59 AM
skip3406
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 2 Posts

I lowered mine and does not affect the steering/riding. I just adjusted my handlebars to compinsate for the change in angle.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,750 Likes on 798 Posts

I tried the lowering blocks for a few months; ending up taking them out...just didn't like the way the bike felt.

I've used the shorter shocks and springs on my previous dyna and was happy with the look and ride. I'll probably go that route again in the near future.

I have a set of blocks I'll sell ya' if interested. My bike's an '09 Street Bob...

Old 09-21-2010, 08:13 AM
maryland blackout
Tourer

Originally Posted by hdgzr
I tried the lowering blocks for a few months; ending up taking them out...just didn't like the way the bike felt.

I've used the shorter shocks and springs on my previous dyna and was happy with the look and ride. I'll probably go that route again in the near future.

I have a set of blocks I'll sell ya' if interested. My bike's an '09 Street Bob...

how do lowering blocks work? And did you instal your own shocks/springs?

Old 09-21-2010, 08:23 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,750 Likes on 798 Posts

The lowering blocks just change the angle of your rear shocks...moves the bottom mounting point back...causing them to "lay down" a bit creating the lowering affect.

Yep, wrenched on the shocks and springs myself. About a one-beer job, unless you like to stand back and admire your work...then it's two or more!

Old 09-21-2010, 08:32 AM
maryland blackout
Tourer

Originally Posted by hdgzr
The lowering blocks just change the angle of your rear shocks...moves the bottom mounting point back...causing them to "lay down" a bit creating the lowering affect.

Yep, wrenched on the shocks and springs myself. About a one-beer job, unless you like to stand back and admire your work...then it's two or more!

Gotcha. But you didnt like the way it rode? What felt different?

Old 09-21-2010, 08:33 AM
love4steel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine EXACTLY the same as dFREDb.. except I switched to heavy screamin eagle fork oil when I did the front. love the results. lots of info if you search the forum

Old 09-21-2010, 08:35 AM
maryland blackout
Tourer

sounds good. I'm hoping someone with an '02 superglide might have some input also.

Last edited by maryland blackout; 09-21-2010 at 08:45 AM. Reason: found the parts
Old 09-21-2010, 10:36 AM
hommes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dFredb

Originally Posted by dFREDb
I dropped mine with 11.5 inch Progressive 440's. The effective drop at the bottom of the rear fender was about 2.5 inches. This affected the trail slightly, making the steering a little "loose" at very low speeds. I dropped the front 2 inches with the Progressive drop in lowering springs and it handles great. I am very satisfied with the results.
dFredb,

Are you sure the back fender dropped that far with those shocks? I read on here where guys were using 412 series 11 in. and only able to drop 3/4 in. Maybe it's because you dropped the front too?

Does your bike bottom out any? I don't want to drop the front, just the back...what kind of drop do you think I'll get. I have an '09 dyna. TIA.

Quick Reply: Have you lowered your Dyna?