Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you lowered your Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I swapped out my 13" stock shocks for some 11" shocks to drop the rear. Rides/handles fine, but then again, I don't Aim for potholes...

Old 09-21-2010, 10:52 AM
maryland blackout
Tourer

I found the Progressive Suspension website to be very helpful in that it shows you what your stock suspension length is and then gives you the options of new lengths based on the series of shock you choose. From what I've been reading around, it seems like most people don't recommend going more than an inch if you are using a lowering block. People seem to be ok going lower than that using a new suspension. It's all a mix of ride height and performance/steering. For example, I don't want to lower my rear too much because I can't lower my front. I already scrape boots/pegs because of my forward controls when I go deep in to some turns. If you lower your back too much without lowering your front, you screw up the "trail" and that makes your steering messed up. If you lower both front and rear too much you start dragging bike parts on the pavement in turns. And of course there is always the bottoming out the rear arm/tire depending on what bike you are riding/how your rear is set up. Then there's a whole other mess about how soft to make your suspension depedning on if you do lowering blocks or new shocks. Long and short of it, blocks are cheap and easy to install because it just adjusts your current shocks to a shallower angle. But if you don't soften your shocks or if you go too low, you're going to regret it. Replacing your shocks is more costly but you keep the same compression angle and can improve the feel of the bike depending on how much you want to spend. This is all coming from someone who didn't know much this morning but spent a lot of time reading. I hope it helps someone looking for the same answers I was

Last edited by maryland blackout; 09-21-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Oregon Deuce
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my last bike Just lowering the rear with blocks was good to go. With my superglide I also had to slide the forks up 1" to feel right. But Im skinny and always run the shocks on the softest setting and dont ride double. One thing that i dont hear mentioned With just the rear lowered I swear just enough primary oil moved backwards to make the clutch drag on this bike

Old 09-21-2010, 12:09 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

mines lowered with the progressive 412hd

Old 09-21-2010, 12:49 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I lowered mine 1" in the front with the Race Tech kit and went with 11.5" YSS shocks in the rear. Ground clearance can be an issue and ride quality can be effected by the decrease in shock travel. For my next set of shocks I won't go less than 12". Get what you feel comfortable with for your riding style and rod conditions.

Lowered bike and gremlin bell.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:08 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Default 07bobber

Originally Posted by 07bobber
mines lowered with the progressive 412hd
07bobber, would that be the 11.5 length? Do you have any pics showing the profile full length? TIA

Old 09-21-2010, 02:10 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Default CountryPunk..

Originally Posted by CountryPunk
I swapped out my 13" stock shocks for some 11" shocks to drop the rear. Rides/handles fine, but then again, I don't Aim for potholes...
What ya ridin' there? What are the 11's and do you have any full length profile pics? TIA.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:23 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I lowered mine an inch by replacing the stock 12" shocks with Progressive 412 11" shocks. Rides a little stiff but much better now now that I dropped a lot of weight.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:47 PM
dFREDb
Club Member

Originally Posted by hommes
dFredb,

Are you sure the back fender dropped that far with those shocks? I read on here where guys were using 412 series 11 in. and only able to drop 3/4 in. Maybe it's because you dropped the front too?

Does your bike bottom out any? I don't want to drop the front, just the back...what kind of drop do you think I'll get. I have an '09 dyna. TIA.
I measured at the bottom lip of the fender (below the tail light) before and after, and I was surprised at the difference too. I remember it was at least 2 to 2 1/2 inches even though the difference between stock shock and Progressive was only about 1.1 inches. The angle of the shock accounted for the multiplied effect. This was before I lowered the front. Although I noticed a slight change in the low speed handling with only the rear lowered, it was not in any way an uncomfortable or dangerous feeling. The lowered front restored the trail. A very very small difference, but noticeable to me. Have not had any bottoming issues even with a passenger. The ride is a little stiffer though.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:45 PM
totalgearhead
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2004, riding only solo, 11.5" Progressives rear and 2" lowered Progressives in the front. Rides mostly the same, bottoms easier. Looks KILLER!

Attached Thumbnails Have you lowered your Dyna?-bike.jpg  

Quick Reply: Have you lowered your Dyna?