Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about apes

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:36 PM
zonutt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about apes

Guys, I have my eyes on apes and I'm wondering how they affect the handling, especially on the twisties? The apes im considering are Biltwell 8" chumps or the 12" apes. Which would u recommend?
I currently have the stock bars on my 07 Superglide.
Thanks

Old 09-19-2010, 06:39 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

8" or 12" is not considered "apes" lol

I run 16's. I find the bike handles twisties easier with apes because it takes less effort to change direction via pressure on the grips.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:41 PM
AZFXDB
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a set of 13 inch knurled and drilled chubby's Im lookin to sell. Nothing wrong with them, I just ended up keepin the stockers after I ran the wires internal (07 streetbob) and Im too lazy to change the bars out.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:43 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

love my apes, i went 14 and would never go back to anything lower, but i would go taller.

i'm with vic, countersteering seems to be easier with the taller bars, less effort needed to lean it into turns.

go big or go home.

8" are baby apes and 12" are mini apes.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:29 PM
fxdx-fly-by
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

i have 16'' apes and you better be one helluva rider to out corner me! they were a little akward the first few days but now its GAME ON! like said before it really is easier to corner

Old 09-19-2010, 11:40 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

forgetting corning they are more comfy, mine are 13in carlini with there one in riser, that puts me about shoulder height, don`t get sucked into taller is better depending on what kind of riding you do if your hands are way above your shoulders you will have problems and i know someone will say i have 20 in and no problems, but to high is as bad as to low, go to a shop and hold up different sizes

Old 09-19-2010, 11:46 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

I happen to like apes and tall bars. Most every bike I have owned has had them at one point or another. Are there better handling handlebars, sure. But that doesn't mean you can't safely ride a bike with tall bars. I'll give you the generic "Ninja" answer. If you haven't seen the part (apes, spring seats, 21 inch wheels, forward controls, ect...) on a Ninja, its probably not the best handling/cornering part you can install on your motorcycle. But since we ride Harley's and not Ninjas, buy a tall set of bars and see how you like them. Theres not to many tales of guys installing 8-12 inch bars and suddenly flying off the road.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:31 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Know anyone with a Street Bob? If you do you could ask them to sit on thier bike, that will get you a feeling for 12" mini apes. I didn't think I'd like the bars when I bought the bike, now I wish they were a little taller.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:57 PM
GlassBikerNC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think of apes like Power Steering on a car. They definitely make the bike easier to maneuver if you are used to drag bars and EXTREMELY better than narrow drags.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:24 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would never install apes on my bike. It's one of those "Oh look at me I have tall handlebars" statements. I guess it makes bikers feel better about riding a Harley Davidson. Wait, I forgot, I have always had them on my bikes.

Quick Reply: Questions about apes