Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 WG 1000 mile service Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory1745
Thanks a lot for all the info, it will be very helpful. I have every torque wrench(good ones) & tools you can think of so no problem there. I actually hit 1093 miles today so as soon as my service manual comes in(hopefully Monday) i'm going to do my service. I aslo have a motorcycle jack, would you recommend doing it on the jack or just on the kickstand or does it really matter?
Nah, the jack just gets in the way, especially of the drain pan. Lay on the floor, you're gonna get dirty anyway. I just used a bunch of old newspaper and laid it all under the bike. About the only thing the commie rag is good for anyway.

As for filling the primary, I had a funnel with a pretty long snout so I just cut sort of a 'V' into the end of the snout. Not perfect but it worked.

You WILL get oil on the front motor mount area. No need to have a panic attack. After the new oil filter is installed, just rinse it off real good or, what I did was I snagged the War Department's flower watering pot and filled it with a strong solution of Dawn and hot water, poured it over the offended area and rinsed it off with a hose. Not a big fan of spraying stuff with brake cleaner, carburetor cleaner, hydrochloric acid or other caustic chemicals (including STRONG cleaners) unless absolutely necessary. You'll probably also get a little oil drippage from the motor mount/frame underneath and flip out when you see it on the floor a couple days later.

Don't. Unless it's a lot.

Just wipe the frame/mount area with a paper towel or old rag and keep an eye on it. Probably excess oil from the filter change that decided to hide for a day or two.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Cory1745
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having to keep up with with receipts and serivce sheets for warranty, HD wont try to deny service due to not using syn3 or other HD products will they?

Old 09-19-2010, 11:47 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceblue
You might like to ck out my post on a do it yourself oil drain funnel to keep oil off your front motor mount. Its on page 152 in the under $50 section.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ml#post6786897
I bought the HD one, foolishly thinking it would work..........NOT! Oil went all over everything, might as well have not been there. Afterwords I cut one from a 1 litre Diet Dr. Pepper bottle - its just slightly larger in diameter than the filter, I haven't tried it yet but it cant be any worse than the orange POS. The Derby cover funnel however, works very nicely - not a drop spilled, I'd recommend buying that one but not the filter thing and ACE hardware has a small skinny funnel that's very close the one HD sells and it only costs $2.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:41 AM
spaceblue
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by p51bombay
I bought the HD one, foolishly thinking it would work..........NOT! Oil went all over everything, might as well have not been there. Afterwords I cut one from a 1 litre Diet Dr. Pepper bottle - its just slightly larger in diameter than the filter, I haven't tried it yet but it cant be any worse than the orange POS. The Derby cover funnel however, works very nicely - not a drop spilled, I'd recommend buying that one but not the filter thing and ACE hardware has a small skinny funnel that's very close the one HD sells and it only costs $2.
Actually not that much oil comes out of the filter, so you don't really need to drain it, just catch it. In that case I'll bet that coke bottle will do just fine.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory1745
Having to keep up with with receipts and serivce sheets for warranty, HD wont try to deny service due to not using syn3 or other HD products will they?
Nah. The Magnuson-Moss act pretty well takes care of that. Besides, why would the dealer go out of his way to deny warranty work? Makes no sense to me. Sure, they get paid less from the Factory for work than they would charge you but most of them realize that if they deny coverage, they're gonna seriously **** you off and send you down the road to an indy, forever losing your business. They also won't make any profit on the parts you need but -- So what? For most of them, the hassle and the risk isn't worth it. And as bad as the economy is? They can't afford to send work down the road.

I keep a file with every single part, every quart of oil, every piece I buy for my Harley. Everything. I recommend you do the same.

You pretty much have to do something malicious or seriously bone-headed to void your warranty -- In theory.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:37 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grendel4

You pretty much have to do something malicious or seriously bone-headed to void your warranty -- In theory.

Would this include having an Indy install a cam for you?