Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 WG, rode on flat front tire for 130 miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 04:12 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

If you've never ridden on a front flat your assuming the rim was riding on the sidewall. It don't after you get moving. I hit a pothole one night on my lowrider. 5 spoke mag wheel bent in and the tire blew. Don't know how indisnt fall. But it was early and we had drinking and riding to do. Lol. To be 21 again.

But as soon as you start moving it's like the tire inflates and you can't rally tell. Now going real slow with it you can. But I understand why the OP thinks it may be good.

Back then I just swapped out the rim. Today, I'd put on a new tire.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:22 PM
rbartick
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RFG
If you've never ridden on a front flat your assuming the rim was riding on the sidewall. It don't after you get moving.
That is kind of what I said in the OP. When I looked down at the tire while cruising (50 MPH) the tire looked pretty much normal. It was basically "ballooning" at speed and it actually felt pretty stable. I was surprised. It only looked flat when I came to a stop.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:34 PM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RB chances are riding a tire for that long ruined
1 your tube...
2. The bead where the tire meets the rim. Probably all uneven and stuff.
3. And maybe even your true. I'd ya have spokes.
Look buddy, your bike, your rules. Just be cognizant, and check things a few times. Good luck with your tire.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:44 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tire side wall is compromised, period. It could have come apart while doing 50 mph causing you to lose control and serious injury, just plain crazy! Limp it home or to a shop maybe, but 50 mph on a flat, WTF?
CB

Old 09-17-2010, 04:51 PM
HDHornet
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change the tire, taking a chance isn't worth it.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:53 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick
That is kind of what I said in the OP. When I looked down at the tire while cruising (50 MPH) the tire looked pretty much normal. It was basically "ballooning" at speed and it actually felt pretty stable. I was surprised. It only looked flat when I came to a stop.
I know, but we also know no one reads the entire post before throwing in their words of wisdom..

I agree 50mph on a front flat is no big deal. Tire runs almost normal.. Cornering is different but I'm with ya on it being fine..

Also I am with the rest that say replace the tire. When piece of mind only cost $150.00 it's worth it.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:40 PM
srshaw
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

50mph with a flat front? What would have happened if you had to apply the brakes a bit sharpish. For me I would be calling the recovery van for sure.

Only time I had a flat on a bike, it was my little 100cc Honda, and I was about a mile from home. It was all over the place.

As everyone else has said. Definately get a new tyre. I would have the rim checked by the dealer as well. I'd be amazed if it hasn't been dented out of shape riding at that speed, unless the road was very smooth.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:26 PM
rbartick
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
Tire side wall is compromised, period. It could have come apart while doing 50 mph causing you to lose control and serious injury, just plain crazy! Limp it home or to a shop maybe, but 50 mph on a flat, WTF?
CB
It wasn't nearly as bad as you are describing. As I said earlier in the thread, the tire actually balloons at speed and it's profile looked normal while cruising. I obviously would not choose to ride on a flat tire, but it was a Sunday, I was 130 miles from home, the tire looked and felt fine at speed, and I decided to keep going.

CRZYLGZZ - My tube was already ruined before I even started the trip. I am bringing my wheel to a dealer tomorrow and I already asked them to check the spokes. I didn't hit any significant bumps on my way home, I'm guessing that the wheel is ok.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:50 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under inflated tire will over heat. You will not be able to see internal damage.

A woman co worker drove her car for a long time with a flat. I brought her car into the shop class and take her spare tire off the steel rim and mounted it on her cast rim.

Her flat tire looked ok on the out side but when the tire was removed and the inside viewed you could see how close the rubber on the inside was ready to disintergrate.

I mounted the tire on the steel rim. It would hold air. The tire could no longer be inflated past 10 psi or the bead would slip over the edge of the rim because the rubber became that soft and weak.

Told her the tire though mounted was not safe to use as a spare any more.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:52 PM
pcbunn
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You're darn lucky the tire didn't come off the rim at 50mph!

Quick Reply: 2010 WG, rode on flat front tire for 130 miles