Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poly Bushings vs Solid Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Desertram800
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just ordered some poly bushings, so I hope they are a good compromise between the super sloppy OEM rubber ones, and the super vibrator solid ones I have on now...Ordered the alloy art heavy duty ones with chrome washers...

Old 09-17-2010, 09:51 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Nothing special was done here Andjh123. The poly bushings seriously don't have any more vibration than the rubber ones that I can tell. I just bought the HD ones. They cost more but it was easier and quicker to get them.

Old 07-18-2023, 11:58 PM
BadDiesel
Stage III
Default What the flower

Originally Posted by HemiOrange
I think your contribution in answering the question should pretty much settle the issue.

I've been fighting with wobbly and crooked bars every since I installed 8 inch risers and drag bars. I just ordered poly bushings from J&P last night, just the $10 bushings, not the entire replacement hardware, but that is really all that is necessary.
I have a 1.5 riser, with 14 ape’s and I had poly bushings installed a little over a month ago on my 2011 fat boy lo because they went out on a long road trip to Iowa. I’m currently living in pothole city on the north side of Milwaukee and the bushings failed two days ago and it just sheared off one of the bolts, holding my gooseneck to my front end and I’m starting to think maybe I should go with solid, after a almost 2 hour walk home from work at 11pm on the north side. Ups, downs, and any other options other than upgrade my entire bike?

Old 07-19-2023, 06:15 AM
crzoomb
Tourer
Received 147 Likes on 79 Posts

I just installed them on my WG, great upgrade,
the taller the bars the more leverage there is going to be to flex the stock shitty rubber bushings.

5 minute install

bar vibration is less than the rubbers

You won’t regret the swap

Last edited by crzoomb; 07-19-2023 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-19-2023, 08:57 AM
BadDiesel
Stage III

Originally Posted by crzoomb
I just installed them on my WG, great upgrade,
the taller the bars the more leverage there is going to be to flex the stock shitty rubber bushings.

5 minute install

bar vibration is less than the rubbers

You won’t regret the swap
did you do Polly or solid?

Old 07-19-2023, 10:57 AM
SwedishMeatball
HDF Community Team
Received 365 Likes on 202 Posts

I run solid aluminium bushings, 10" high riserless t bars plus a 1" extension containing the push buttons. Super solid feeling and no vibration at all.

With higher and wider ape hangers, and the heavy stock hand controls I think there is a greater risk for resonance and vibration, the vibrations are amplified.

Old 07-19-2023, 11:22 AM
crzoomb
Tourer
Received 147 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by BadDiesel
did you do Polly or solid?
Poly

The following users liked this post:
BadDiesel (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 11:26 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,863 Likes on 1,261 Posts

the bushings failed two days ago and it just sheared off one of the bolts
Guys this thread is about 13 years old
I read through just to see.

This part of your post reminded me of a guys bike some years ago. He had a similar thing happen.
He had complained about his bars feeling kinda loose.
What we came up with was the bolts he used were a little to long. While compressing the bushings a good bit the bolt was bottoming out in the riser. before getting the bushings all the way tight.

Been to many years to remember much more but that I do recall that. Just something to be aware off.

WP

BadDiesel (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 11:51 AM
BadDiesel
Stage III

Originally Posted by WP50
Guys this thread is about 13 years old
I read through just to see.

This part of your post reminded me of a guys bike some years ago. He had a similar thing happen.
He had complained about his bars feeling kinda loose.
What we came up with was the bolts he used were a little to long. While compressing the bushings a good bit the bolt was bottoming out in the riser. before getting the bushings all the way tight.

Been to many years to remember much more but that I do recall that. Just something to be aware off.

WP
so after I went back to reevaluate in the daylight, and to see what tools I need, the bolt did not sheer off. It did however back itself out a little and the vibration caused what was left in the riser to act as a drill bit and chew up the inside FML. I now am going to take it all apart and see if it’s salvageable.

Old 07-19-2023, 11:59 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,863 Likes on 1,261 Posts

so after I went back to reevaluate in the daylight, and to see what tools I need, the bolt did not sheer off. It did however back itself out a little and the vibration caused what was left in the riser to act as a drill bit and chew up the inside FML. I now am going to take it all apart and see if it’s salvageable.
Best of luck

WP

BadDiesel (07-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Poly Bushings vs Solid Bushings