Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE factory air cleaner upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 08:42 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default SE factory air cleaner upgrade?

Hi,

I'm looking in all the books, I can't seem to find the Screamin' Eagle upgrade for my fuel injection, that allows me to keep my factory air cleaner, but just changes the back plate and gives me a K&N filter. I DON'T want the Round filter, just want to keep the original box.

Please help!

P.S. what download are you guys getting for this and SC II mufflers? Don't want to go PC unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.

joe

Old 06-20-2005, 10:47 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: SE factory air cleaner upgrade?

Don't think you will find what you state here unless I'm reading it wrong.

They have the stage 1 kit which gives you the backing plate AND the round K&N air filter with the associated hardware, or they have a replacement K&N filter to use in the stock set up, which will not breathe as well as the round unless you add some 1" holes to the bottom of the plastic housing ( too restrictive). I would suggest if any mods are done to get the complete kit with the round filter as it works best. I believe you can run the football cover over it if you want to.

The download is specific for the intake and exhaust mods and bike and the dealer will know what you need here depending on what exhaust/ intake you have. The HD downloads work best when used with the HD parts otherwise a PC will work better for you , especially if you are doing other mods in the future.

Old 06-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Stevenml155
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put balony cut out SE II slip on's on my 2005 FXDCI and no other mods. The pipes sound deep and have that great rumble. No other changes to air filter or computer and the bike is getting excellent mileage with a little more kick off the line. It seems to work out that way in some cases. The pipes are an easy mod to do and they run about $230.

Old 06-23-2005, 05:06 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

The remap is only necessary if you do the air filter or air filter AND pipes, but not pipes alone

Old 06-23-2005, 10:31 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Okay guys,

I've figured out how it works.......

I went down to the dealership, and saw how it works, etc. The factory "football" cover goes over the new K&N filter, or you can put another cover over it as well, round, whatever......

The factory has a download that you can use to basically re-flash your computer to compensate for the air cleaner upgrade. The SE II pipes work fine with this re-flash. But if you want to do full pipes or ALOT of mods, a PC is the way to go.

So, basically I'm going with this factory "stage I" re-flash, SE II slip-ons, and the air cleaner upgrade with the factory football cover.

joe

Old 06-24-2005, 12:16 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

Way to go JOE

Old 06-25-2005, 11:12 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Scratch that.......I went with the Arlen Ness Big Sucker intake kit. It's the same as the SE kit, but comes with a K&N filter too!!! works well with the factory re-calibration. I wrote a full review in the "Aftermarket" thread. Go check it out!!!

joe

Old 06-26-2005, 10:03 AM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 494 Likes on 196 Posts

A buddy with a 2004 FXDI just added the HD CVO backing plate and is going to go with a K&N as per the dealer. I have been to this particular dealer and the service manager is strongly against any of these open backed AC setups as he thinks that the bike will now suck hot air.

The HD CVO backing plate has some additional holes cut along the bottom to allow more air in to the AC. Next time you are in s HD showroom check out the AC on a CVO bike.

The CVO backing plate is around $30 plus the cost of a K&N stock AC replacement.

Any thoughts on how much better or worse this set up is compared to a true StageI upgrade?

Old 06-26-2005, 10:34 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

Steve

I have a CVO bike that I put the stage 1 on. This bike comes with a K&N inside the factory setup and that setup also pulls hot air in from the engine. Don't see any big difference other than $$$ here IMO

You're not too far from me in New Rochelle

Old 06-26-2005, 12:24 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

You bring up a good point.....One way that I can think to avoid that is to put a different cover on than the football lid. If you go with a round cover or mabe just a plate so the K&N isnt covered, then that woundn't happen. When riding down the road I can't imagine that the steady flow of cool air wouldn't offset the problem.

What do you think about this.....the edge of the cover facing the front could have some holes or slots cut into it, or just go all the way around. Granted in rain, it would be awful, but it just might work if your like myself and ride on the weekends when it's nice outside (yea I guess I'm a fair weather rider, I tried that riding in the rain stuff, damn near got hypothermia, and it just wasn't fun anymore, imho....)

joe

Quick Reply: SE factory air cleaner upgrade?