Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black-Out Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010 | 03:29 PM
CRF
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Black-Out Conundrum

Just looking for some thoughts......... summer has flown by and sadly its time to start thinking about winter projects again (at least up here in the great white north). I have been slowly working on blacking out the Bob (emphasis on slowly). I'm pretty satisfied with the way she looks now but I'm probably going to be changing the bars over the winter and I'm torn between black and chrome. If I go black will the bike look "wrong" with the shocks, forks, sigs the way they are?...... in other words is it all or nothing at this point?

I keep looking at things like the shocks and thinking; they'd look good black... but then I think uggh; that means I gotta do the sigs, the sliders, etc etc

What say you dyna gods? Leave it, go all in or???????

Old 09-15-2010 | 03:33 PM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member

I think you have a great mix or black and chrome right now. i would keep the bars chrome.

Old 09-15-2010 | 03:38 PM
kamut
Tourer

I think it could go either way, but I say chrome-unless you want to keep blacking out the rest of it like the pipes, etc.

SometimesI see bikes with black bars and they sort of look 'out of balance' if there's not a enough other black on the bike. Sort of a feng shui thing.

Old 09-15-2010 | 03:40 PM
RDFXDF
Tourer

I agree you have a good mix now, you would have a lot of work blacking it out and it may not look any better (just different).

Old 09-15-2010 | 03:42 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Screw it, rip it all apart this winter, send it to the powder coater, black it all out and re-install it. I think that will speed up your "Slowly" issue. If I can fin me a cheap a$$ PU this winter, that is what is going to happen to my SB, hell the pipes I want only come in chrome, so the box will be making it trip to the coat shop before install.

Old 09-15-2010 | 03:42 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member

I agree with kamut, keep the bars chrome unless you plan on blacking out the pipes and things. Harley seems to be coming out with a lot of new black parts, so it might get easier.

I have black bars and black pipes and I like the look. Would like to black-out the forks too, but that's going to have to wait a little while. In the meantime, I might look at putting on black fork boots.

Old 09-15-2010 | 04:11 PM
rfwaters
Advanced

i was torn but i ended up going black and ill probably powder coat the lower forks and triple trees this winter.

Attached Thumbnails Black-Out Conundrum-bike1.jpg  
Old 09-15-2010 | 04:34 PM
smokinfromshootin
Tourer

i am in the same situation. i was originally thinking completely black, but i am pretty sure i am going to just replace chrome with chrome. so new chrome ape hangers and new chrome pipes. just need to decide what to do with the air filter cover once i get a big sucker.

Old 09-15-2010 | 05:11 PM
JRK5892
Banned

you know my answer!

Old 09-15-2010 | 05:16 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Default I hear ya

I'm in the same situation. I will put black shocks on my bike and leave bars, etc chrome.

For me it's not about matching color either way. I think black shocks will hide better on my black bike.

One of the reasons I like softtails is because they have no visible shocks.

So slightly disappearing those ugly things will make me more happy

Quick Reply: Black-Out Conundrum