Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Lowrider or Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:34 PM
cmvsm
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna Lowrider or Fatboy for the New Guy...?

Hi all. First post on the forum, as I'm a new rider and prospective HD owner. I like to seek out the best forums on the web for anything that I have interest, and this seems like the place to be!

Rode dirt bikes as a kid, and just recently acquired my motorcycle license through the MSF test here in Florida which was great. Now its time to settle on my first bike.

I've gone through the dilemma of "should I start out with a smaller bike, gain confidence, and work my way up" school of thought, or the "the hell with that, i'm getting the bike that I want and we will become one like Luke Skywalker and the force"....I'm going with door #2.

That said, here's my question. I don't have the dough to buy new, so I have the opportunity to buy a 2002 HD Dyna Low Rider with all the bells, killer custom paint, and 26K miles....OR.....a 2003 Fatboy for 3 grand more, custom paint, wheels, mint condition and 12K miles.

I've sat on both in the dealership, and the Dyna feels really good overall. I didn't think that I'd like a longer rake due to the reduced steering efficiency over a smaller one, but it all just goes together with the Dyna and looks fantastic. For the Fatboy, it just looks great online, in person, etc. I didn't care for the seating as much as the Dyna, but the styling is all Harley for sure, and pretty much what I think about when someone mentions HD.

I don't plan on taking long road trips 'yet' until I get a handle on the local neighborhood first...then local streets...then city...then highway....baby steps if you will to avoid a spill.

Any advice you all can give on which might be the better suited for me from a cost, model, mileage, or any other perspective, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Old 09-13-2010, 10:39 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Better do your homework because both are very different. The Lowrider is a Dyna frame rubber mounted "A" series engine. The Fatboy is a softail ridgid mounted counter balanced "B" series motor. Are they carbed or fuel injected?

Old 09-13-2010, 10:42 PM
HDTech74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're a new rider the fatboy has a lower center of gravity.
I would go dyna. I own one of each. but you're comparing apples to oranges.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:57 PM
cmvsm
Advanced

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Better do your homework because both are very different. The Lowrider is a Dyna frame rubber mounted "A" series engine. The Fatboy is a softail ridgid mounted counter balanced "B" series motor. Are they carbed or fuel injected?
Thanks for the reply. If I understand it correctly, the "A" series on the Dyna operates more smoothly with less vibration at a higher rate of speed than the "B" series, but vice versa in regard to lower speeds. So the end result is that the Dyna is more suited for longer, higher speed rides, and the Fatboy more for cruising locally or otherwise?

The Dyna is carbed, and the Fatboy is fuel injected. I live in Florida, so there are no mountains on my horizon.

I do realize that these are two different bikes, but for my use, which initially would be local riding a few days per week, nothing strenuous, that they would have some parallels. I was also looking at it from a handling and new rider perspective as well. Maybe long distance riding could be a future reality once the opportunity presents itself.

Last edited by cmvsm; 09-13-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:34 PM
RoamingBuffalo
Intermediate

If you're looking at dropping a chunk of money on a bike like that...test ride them both and see which you like better. They are very different...both great in very different ways.

As far as the carb is concerned...you were a dirt bike guy. Don't let a carb scare you. I have a carbed '05 Super Glide, and although I haven't had it long it has performed flawlessly. Doesn't even get grumpy cranking up when the temp is in the 40s.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:54 PM
cmvsm
Advanced

Originally Posted by RoamingBuffalo
If you're looking at dropping a chunk of money on a bike like that...test ride them both and see which you like better. They are very different...both great in very different ways.

As far as the carb is concerned...you were a dirt bike guy. Don't let a carb scare you. I have a carbed '05 Super Glide, and although I haven't had it long it has performed flawlessly. Doesn't even get grumpy cranking up when the temp is in the 40s.
Definitely will be doing that in the next few days. I haven't heard anyone mention the mileage on both bikes. One has 26K and the other 12K. How does the mileage factor in here with respect to the decision....or does it?

Old 09-14-2010, 03:13 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

In respect to mileage both bikes have low miles for bikes of that year. Look at service records if you can on both bikes and see what service or repairs have been done. Both bikes would be a good bet. Its up to personal likes on a test ride and how they feel to you. Good Luck.