Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What you say is ture. What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:26 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What you say is ture. What would you do?

Okay. What you all say about dealers and there Dyno "Experts" are true. I finally got around to building the IBM 600E I found in the closet to use as a laptop for tuning. I have the SE Software/SEST/Cables.

I got everything to connect. Downloaded the .dt0 file from the VCI that my bike was running on. Low and behold..... The guy loaded a 2008 FXD with Big Radius Map, and left it stock. I have been running the incorrect map since I got my bike tuned in March. I had popping decel, and some other quirks like some surging in certain areas.

So what I did was take that map, and decided to Auto Tune with to see if I could get the surge and pops out. I took the map, made the VCI ready to record, and took off on a run. I rode in 3rd from 30 to 40 mph (where the surge was located). I then road at my cruising speeds 60 in 5th for a while, and then 70 in 6th for a while. The I did two 80% throttle 4th gear runs and let the bike decel all on its own back to 40 mph in 4th gear.

I came home. Followed the instruction, and clicked generate. It show that it should change about 10 blocks in the VE Tables. I said sure to myself, and click Update. Then I saved as a different .dt0 file. Loaded the new .dt0 file that I allows auto tune to change. Well. No more surge at 35 in 3rd (rush hour traffic speeds sometimes), and the pop on decel was gone. Without having to add fuel to the Decel Enrichment.

I figure if I were to create about 10 to 20 recordings like to and from work. Save those. Then on a nice cruise out on the two lanes, and save them, and then do some raging city driving, and save those recordings, I could generate a pretty good VE table for my bike to let Auto Tune adjust the AFR. Although the AFR was set for 14.6 in all of the closed loop blocks. I figure it was calculating incorrectly with the wrong map to get to 14.6.

I did set the blocks all to 14.1 at one point, but my plugs started to look sooty.. I will ask this guy in town if I can rent time on his Dyno, and tune my own bike. I do know that the Auto Tune works in the SEST. If I had the other recoredings I bet I could get a pretty good tune on the bike. I don't really care that t would be 14.6. I am looking for good ride-ability and gas mileage, but I want the VE table to be adjusted to the correct settings.

Watch out for the dealer tunes. They are not interested in getting your bike right.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:14 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

That's the first time I've heard of some using the SE software to do their own tuning. Good on you.

It is sort of documented that the dealer 'tuners' don't really do a tune. It's best to go to a performance shop that is familiar (read: trained) on the fuel management you are using.

If you got your bike running better, I'd keep going with it. Congrats.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:21 PM
HDTech74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well I would think even 14.1 is still too lean.
don't understand how you'd have that map, that map sounds like a PCIII map.

When we do downloads, you basically pick the one that goes best with
the parts you have on your bike.

Also, usually the software for that won't record for that long.
These bikes LOVE the EXTRA fuel.

Another thing, you can't read your plugs like that if you're riding in the city.
But hey what do I know, I only work at a dealer.

I only have a download on my bike with a thunderheader and SE stage 1 a/c

I got 81 HP and 90 TQ. but again what do I know.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:23 PM
HDTech74
Tourer

I do still need a tune though, I still have slight pop on decel.

I don't think you can paint all the dealers who tune with the same brush.

Again, I don't know how they put that map in because SE hardware
doesn't give you options like that. Only PCIII does.

Also you cant use a PCIII and a SEST at the same time.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:25 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

HD, you can settle down. It's pretty obvious the dealer tech who did the download for editbrain's bike didn't do it properly. So, say what you want but when you pay (what $300 for a dyno tune @ dealer with sert, etc) and they just slap a preconfig map in there and call it a day that would **** me off big time.

Not all dealers are horrible and not all of them are 100% on the up and up.

As a tech, wouldn't you agree that running the wrong map could, over time, cause issues? Then the dealer wouldn't have to honor any sort of warranty because even using SE parts will void the warranty if a problem can be traced back to that specific part.

I mean....Big radius map? The guy has a thunderheader. Explain that one to me. it's not like TH are new technology. lol

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 09-13-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:33 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My dealer did a tune on my bike. It was Ok, but I got a Latus HD map which was better. In a few weeks I'll be doing my own TTS tune job. I'll do at least 10 runs on a weekend and see what happens.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:11 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior

HDtech, sounds like you are just the guy I need to be talking to. Would you shoot me that Thunderheader map you got for a stage one. I can then start doing the auto tune runs on that map, and possible get better results. That would cool instead of telling me off. Maybe you can share a little bit of that knowledge, but what do I know.

The best fitting map I have from the software is the 1580/2 in 1/stk pistons/stk heads/204 cams. All the others are pretty bogus for my setup. I guess I could use the Touring 1580/stk pistons/stk cams/with Racing Exhaust. Racing Exhaust = 2 in 1 I am guessing.

Thunderheader has a down load site, but you have to be a dealer to get the maps.

HDTech, when you tune, and you go to the ARF table. Do you set the entire closed loop field to a specific AFT? Mine was at 14.6. I set the entire block for all RPM to 14.1, but the plugs looked a little crummy. Maybe I will set it to 14.1, and then run the VE table AutoTune to see if that corrects the plug color. By the way. I checked the plugs on a chop test in a 2 mile straight away. Just an FYI.

I do see some cool stuff in this program. I really enjoyed the playback of my runs. I was neat, and you could tell throttle pos, mph, and rpm for a given run. It also calculates 1/4 mile runs for you, and some other cool stuff.

I hope more chime in, and give advise, and tell their stories. Maybe we can get some good Auto Tune info up, and some maps that others can use. Then the crummy dealers who like to steal peoples money will start to do their job. If not, they might not have one for long once the word gets out.

Oh yeah... Do you mind shooting off that Thunderheader/Stg 1 map for a 1584... Thanks.

@KBXFLXDI That is my plan as well. I plan to record my trips to work, and then some long wide open runs, and accumulate several runs. I don't know about the TTS, but you can use the SEST and select all the runs, and it will generate your VE Tables for you. Then you update the map, and there you have it. I figure some good interstate rideing, rush hour riding, cruising the 2 lanes, and some quarter mile runs will be a good assortment for the application to crunch the numbers.

Last edited by editbrain; 09-13-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:12 PM
HDTech74
Tourer

Oh, I totally agree. I was just trying to state from what I've seen at my dealer.
The download is used as a base map. But I know that from experience that the BIG RADIUS isn't an option when doing downloads, at least on the digital tech at my shop. It will ask you if it's a BIG TWIN, and ask what upgrades, IE, ari cleaner, and exhaust, although it only says race exhaust which could be any aftermarket system.Also, I think 14.1 is lean, that's just me. With cold weather coming, it'll be even leaner. These bikes love more fuel.

I agree, maybe the dealer doesn't have a competent tuner. The guy at my shop is a geek about it. Although he doesn't always focus on performance, he focuses on getting a proper a/f mixture throughout the whole rpm range. which is good for driveability.
Also from what I see from riding and working on these bikes, especially the EFI bikes, all the fuel injected bikes seem to surge slightly. Sportsters more so, it's the nature of the beast. so if his was surging at one spot, is was lean in that spot.

Sorry I get fired up because some of us out there have integrity and I just don't like being lumped in with the ones who don't.

One of our rival dealers tells people that SEST is junk and they don't have the capability to do downloads! The try to sell people on the FUEL PACK!!!

UGH!!!

Old 09-13-2010, 11:30 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior

I know there are good guys and gals out there. I have noticed from the recordings that the closed loop system will bring the bike back to the "Desired AFR" for certain blocks.
I think I will just for fun setup a 14.1 with the map I mentioned with the racing exhaust, and make some runs, and see how the bike performs. the only thing that I don't have a grip on is timing advance at this point.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:38 PM
RA51
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can only tune the ve cells that are in red or 14.6 with the auto tune. To get rid of decel pop I lower the afr in the O range in the af table. But if there are exhaust leaks that does not always work.

Quick Reply: What you say is ture. What would you do?