Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What you say is ture. What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:58 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

The bike seems to be pretty good now. I left the red blocks @ 14.6, but did try 14.1, and the plugs on chop test were sooty. I am fine with 14.6. It is a good ride. The engine isn't hot. The O sections seems to be tuned fine with 13.5 and the richest is 12.5.
During the recording the AFR stayed @ 14.6 pretty straight during cruising. The VE tables were updated. Like I said. The rush hour surging from 35-40 mph in 3rd was fixed, and so was the pop on decel. That was just with one run using Smart Tune. I have been saying Auto Tune, but it is Smart Tune. I don't have a wild setup. Stage 1 with a Thunderheader. I am not looking for brute force with this setup. Stock heads, piston, and all.. Not going to get it. What I am looking to achieve is the correct calculations to get me to 14.6. I think I am on my way to getting that. I will update in the next few days.

Reread Dr. Dyno's post about the Big Twin 96", and he mentions that the Knock protection in the SEST is awesome, and there really isn't a need to mess with timing. Just an FYI.

Last edited by editbrain; 09-14-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:16 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

14.6 puts the system into closed loop which will read data from the o2 sensors. You'd want your afr around 13-13.5 to richen it up. There is plenty of info on this out there.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:14 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very cool, first I've heard of anyone outside the dealership being able to get software let alone use it.

Congrats!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by editbrain
I know there are good guys and gals out there. I have noticed from the recordings that the closed loop system will bring the bike back to the "Desired AFR" for certain blocks.
I think I will just for fun setup a 14.1 with the map I mentioned with the racing exhaust, and make some runs, and see how the bike performs. the only thing that I don't have a grip on is timing advance at this point.
It is my understanding that setting a cell at other than 14.6 will not allow the ECM to enter Closed Loop operation. And that if you set the cell at other than 14.6 then you have to manually set all the other VE tables.

This all pretty confusing to me. I'll be interested to see how you make out.

My understanding is that the SEST and the TTS both do about the same thing in about the same way but that if you can master the SEST software, you're a bona fide genius.

Sounds like you may qualify.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:11 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Grendel...I'm sure glad someone didn't mention the significance of 14.6 afr before you. lol Would have gone completely unnoticed. lmao

Old 09-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Grendel...I'm sure glad someone didn't mention the significance of 14.6 afr before you. lol Would have gone completely unnoticed. lmao
I missed page 2, okay?

I got a 'summer cold'. I HATE summer colds. In fact, I pretty much hate summer down here.

You're lucky (or smart). You're in one of the best bike riding climates in the country. Been up in your neighborhood in January and it was actually beautiful out. Great roads, not a huge population, rolling hills, decent four-season climate.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting down here, cookin' in my own juices and fighting a freaking summer cold.

Have you no humanity?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:22 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Also, Editbrain...in last months AIM there was a great article about AFR and the different tuners. See if you can still find it on the news stand. If not, I'll do my best to photograph it and send it on.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no reason not to run the bike at 14.6 A/F on all the cells that are able to go that high (the low-throttle, low-rpm, cruising cells).

It's amazing how many people out there thing it's important/good to have their cruising a/f setup the same as their hard throttle... and that would be wrong.

You want a lean, clean burn at low-load, cruising conditions.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:07 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I read that 14.6 keeps the loop closed as well. I don't have an issue running 14.6. I think I mentioned that. If it doesn't work out it doesn't, and I load the original map, but I can tell you it runs different since I did the recording run, and changed the VE tables, and used Smart Tune.
I will not know for sure until I get about 10-20 recordings for it to generate the VE tables. I figure since you can start the recording at anytime during your ride, and stop it. I will zip tie the device to the bike, and hit the button, and do a few 80% throttle runs in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears. Then I will try to do some longer steady throttle recordings in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gears. Then I plan to due some recordings of me running the gears, and down shifting.
Take all that data, and then have the software make changes. Run that map for a few tanks of gas, and see how it goes.

All I can do is try.

Sorry for the horrible post. I am really tired, and do not feel like changing it.

Last edited by editbrain; 09-14-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:19 PM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You do know that while the AFR is set to 14.6 for closed loop operation, you can use the CLB ( closed loop bias ) to enrichen the actual A/F.
( you really shouldn't set it to more than about 720 bias to allow the fuel control to function correctly during closed loop operation.)

VE's will move around slightly over the engine operating range and intake temperature! They will not arrive at "an absolute" value even over many runs. The VE's are affetced by both engine and air temperature.
You are better off attempting to get good readings at "NORMALIZED" temperatures. The SERT software is dependant on O2 sensor closed loop feedback for VE mapping. Even in the same "CELL" ( a speed load point of the closed loop learn values AFV) the VE will change over time.

Production VE tables are a process of both closed loop feedback, and steady state mapping on a dynamometer. In the dynamometer steady state development, the A/F ratio is set near the expected value (open loop) and the VE is adjusted until the "COMMAND A/F" matches the actual A/F as measured by a very accurate A/F bench. The closed loop is then re-enabled and use to "tweak" the VE table values.

What is lacking in using the SERT "closed loop" VE mapping is there are still many OPEN LOOP ( and much richer than 14.6 A/F ratio ) points that are not "learned".
While some fuel "cells" learned during closed loop( with the SERT application) are used during open loop operation, there are some ( VE table break points) that are not reached or "learned" during the SERT VE mapping.

While the SERT may get you 80% of the way to proper VE values, the important OPEN LOOP ( power enrichment ) VE's are not corrected accurately with a SERT.

For rich "power enrichment" A/F ratios you really need a dynamometer and A/F bench to have the correct VE's.

And before anyone asks, A/F ratio also impacts VE's. If you "learn" a VE table point at 14.6, and then use that same "cell" ( the cell being the AFV or learned value stored in the software and used during open loop) while commanding a much richer ( ie. 13.0 A/F for power) the VE needed for an absolute A/F output will be different.

VE in a speed density system is the "expected AIR mass", that is a sensor output in a MAF ( a real Mass air sensor ) EFI system. So as the amount of fuel varies ( when commanding 14.6 vs. 13.0 A/F) some of that "fuel" replaces a given "MASS of Air." That change in volume of fuel,(14. vs. 13.0 A/F) changes the VE value. That is why when calibrating VE's for power enrichment type air fuel ratios, it is best to set an A/F value close to the expected command at a given speed and load!

Last edited by FBRR; 09-14-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Quick Reply: What you say is ture. What would you do?