Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI True Track installation problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:00 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI True Track installation problems

just got off the phone with TRUE TRACK
if your bolts don't align perfectly it means that motor mount isolators are worn out and need replaced . I was told that they last only 20-30K miles and are a part of the wobble problem.
here's the part numbers from hd and the cost for my '00 FXD

rr 47564-99 $92

fr 47583-90b $110

Old 09-13-2010, 05:30 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm in the middle of doing just that. Waiting on a rear isolator to come in. What a headache.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:47 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced my front at 18k, or rather the dealer did under warranty. But I think this kinda blows, I mean will your big improvement come from the True Track, or from the fact you have fresh motor mounts?

I thought there may have been a bad run on the mounts, what with all the discussion on shimming the front. I had the vibration issue after hitting a pothole pretty hard; the new mount took care of that.

True Track says the mounts are worn out and need to be replaced at 20k to 30k? If that's true (and I've never heard that from anyone before your post) wouldn't you think installing the True Track would at least, extend the motor mount life by taking up a lot of the motor movement? Something seems off to me here...

Old 09-13-2010, 07:05 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The entire design of having your alignment rely on a rubber mounted engine and trans is a terrible design. I believe that a True Track will extend the usable life of the mounts and also believe that they are a required item for a Dyna to handle decent.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:18 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
I'm in the middle of doing just that. Waiting on a rear isolator to come in. What a headache.
I had to wait almost a week for my rear mount to come in. You think with the high failure rate of these mounts that dealers might actually stock them.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Uquackmeup
Tourer

I replaced my motor mounts last month at 37k miles on my 07 SB. The front made a huge difference. I didn’t notice any improvement with the rear, which I installed a week later. $86. for front and $69 for rear from Zanotti shipped.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

I fitted my True-Track kit when my Dyna had around 3k miles on it. There is no doubt faulty mounts will affect handling, but when everything is new the TT kit really does make a worthwhile difference.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:57 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by clicker01
I just replaced my front at 18k, or rather the dealer did under warranty. But I think this kinda blows, I mean will your big improvement come from the True Track, or from the fact you have fresh motor mounts?

I thought there may have been a bad run on the mounts, what with all the discussion on shimming the front. I had the vibration issue after hitting a pothole pretty hard; the new mount took care of that.

True Track says the mounts are worn out and need to be replaced at 20k to 30k? If that's true (and I've never heard that from anyone before your post) wouldn't you think installing the True Track would at least, extend the motor mount life by taking up a lot of the motor movement? Something seems off to me here...
Improvement should come from both.
Not sure if the Dyna had issues from brand new, but the baggers did. So the 1st issue is with the design of the mounts and True Track fixes that.
I think it might reduce the stress on original design and extend the life of the isolators.
Buell used the 3 point mounting system and never had any issues. Not even roadracing. Hell, that motor was completely suspended from the frame!
I'm wondering why moco never adopted Erick Buell's designs to Dyna's.
Is it pride? cost? royalty of the design? I doubt we'll ever know the truth.
To me its just another reason to despise the company.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:06 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Alkay, if my memory serves me correct the fxr's used a 3 point mounting system so Buell's concept isn't a new one. Many say the FXR was the best handling harley. Not sure why they stopped using that setup if it was that good. Seems counter-productive to stop production on something that would inevitably help to sell more bikes. How much more expensive could it be to incorporate mounting tabs on the frame for the stabilizer links?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:33 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Alkay, if my memory serves me correct the fxr's used a 3 point mounting system so Buell's concept isn't a new one. Many say the FXR was the best handling harley. Not sure why they stopped using that setup if it was that good. Seems counter-productive to stop production on something that would inevitably help to sell more bikes. How much more expensive could it be to incorporate mounting tabs on the frame for the stabilizer links?
The FXR had a frame mounted swingarm. The engine mounts had nothing to do with the alignment at all. Hence the best handling HD ever. FXR frames are ugly.

I believe the royalties to Eric Buell are the reason HD doesnt equip rubber mounted Dynas with the True Track from the factory. I read a article somewhere to that effect.

Quick Reply: FYI True Track installation problems