Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI True Track installation problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 12:29 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Alkay, if my memory serves me correct the fxr's used a 3 point mounting system so Buell's concept isn't a new one. Many say the FXR was the best handling harley. Not sure why they stopped using that setup if it was that good. Seems counter-productive to stop production on something that would inevitably help to sell more bikes. How much more expensive could it be to incorporate mounting tabs on the frame for the stabilizer links?
PartsEeter is right about the FXRs mounting swing-arms to the frame instead of transmission. FXR was also Eric Buell's brain child.
I have to disagree about the FXR frame being ugly. Me and 6 other guys in this country still love FXRs. Maybe thats why moco doesn't build them anymore .....
My next bike will be another FXR.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:50 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok. Thanks for clarifying. I'm certainly not all-knowing and appreciate the info. I'm sure the swingarm mounting to frame plays a part but didn't that bike also have multiple stabilizers like the TT?

Old 09-14-2010, 01:03 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,862 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Erik Buell invented the three stabilizer system used by Harley while he worked for them back in the early 80s, so FXRs and FLs all used it from the outset. For reasons that are not clear Harley didn't install the rear link. By the time Buell set up his own firm the patent on his sytem had expired, so he was able to use it on the bikes that bear his name. Harley did adopt all three stabilizers on the current Sportsters. True-Track have been awarded a patent for their third stabilizer design.

All rubber mount Harleys and Buells have the swingarm mounted off the rear of the transmission. The rear rubber mount is concentric with the swingarm axle, which is why the FXR looks as if it has a frame-mounted swingarm. It doesn't. Like Norton Commandos of the 60s, on our Harleys the rear wheel and engine assembly is isolation mounted in the frame, using rubber mounts. The stabilizer links (hopefully three of them!) allow the engine to vibrate vertically, while preventing that assembly from moving laterally within the frame.

The omission by Harley of some of the intended links is what allows rear steer in touring bikes and poor handling in Dynas.

My Buell came with three stabilizers and I have added True-Track kits to my Glide and Dyna, so they have too. It's the only way to travel!

Last edited by grbrown; 09-14-2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Expanded.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:20 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

I know its off topic, but it always comes back to the number of same old rhetorical questions ....
why would the company take a step backwards in design?
why wouldn't they admit a problem and correct it?
why they continue to pat themselfs on the back for another "innovative" design when we all know its ****? and usually "borrowed" from someone else.
when will they realize that they are pushing away previously loyal customers?

I spent a shitload of $$$ at hd dealeships on my used bikes in the 80's. Bought 3 brand new bikes in '89, '92 and 95 and now refuse to spend a dime there. In the last 15 years I spent less than $30.00 with them. I support my local INDY shops.
This $200 purchase of isolators will be my 3 visit to the dealer in 15 years.

maybe I'll just pay extra for shipping.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:47 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the MoCo also say the motor mount isolators become worn out and need to be replace between 20-30K?

Originally Posted by alkay191
just got off the phone with TRUE TRACK
if your bolts don't align perfectly it means that motor mount isolators are worn out and need replaced . I was told that they last only 20-30K miles and are a part of the wobble problem.
here's the part numbers from hd and the cost for my '00 FXD

rr 47564-99 $92

fr 47583-90b $110

Old 09-14-2010, 02:18 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Does the MoCo also say the motor mount isolators become worn out and need to be replace between 20-30K?
I'm not sure if it came from moco or INDYs that are installing True Track ...

If anyone has a good relationship with their local hd tech, please ask them. I'm curious to know what they know.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:49 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I just want to thank the OP for this thread and everyone who posted here for sharing so much wisdom. This thread is educational on many different levels. I'll put in an order to True Track in the next week or so. Thanks again.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:23 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,862 Likes on 2,427 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by alkay191
I know its off topic, but it always comes back to the number of same old rhetorical questions ....
why would the company take a step backwards in design?
why wouldn't they admit a problem and correct it?
why they continue to pat themselfs on the back for another "innovative" design when we all know its ****? and usually "borrowed" from someone else.
when will they realize that they are pushing away previously loyal customers
The design as Buell intended it is excellent. As alkay191 pointed out they never had any problems racing Buells. Here in the UK a Firebolt won best handling bike in a major mag survey in 2005, against ALL other sports bikes.

Another question is: why did Harley not spent an extra few cents to add that third stabilizer? Which is where True-Track come in. And three cheers to them!

Old 09-14-2010, 07:11 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 380 Likes on 147 Posts

From what my dealer tells me the easiest way to check the condition of the rear mount is to lift the bike up via the frame. Using a bike jack, if the rear tire stays perfectly vertical the mount is ok. If it leans even the slightest the mount needs to be replaced. I've changed my front mount twice now but I still have the original rear mount. It stays vertical on the jack.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:36 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Blaster
From what my dealer tells me the easiest way to check the condition of the rear mount is to lift the bike up via the frame. Using a bike jack, if the rear tire stays perfectly vertical the mount is ok. If it leans even the slightest the mount needs to be replaced. I've changed my front mount twice now but I still have the original rear mount. It stays vertical on the jack.
Thats interesting. I'll check that before doing both mounts that I already ordered.
Also, I wonder if you can check condition of the isolators like checking swing-arm bushings/bearings. Jack the bike up to let rear wheel hang and try to wiggle the wheel with one hand on top and other on the bottom.
I wont be home till the end of the month to try it .....