Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Footpeg Mounts on FXD

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:42 AM
lkohan7373
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Footpeg Mounts on FXD

Hey,
I am adding a passenger pillion but also need the footpeg mount kit. I looked at the instructions and I have to loosen the real tire and remove the belt guard. My only concern is getting the tire centered and the proper adjustment of the belt. I have done work on the bike before but have never touched the rear tire. Anyone have any suggestions, I don't want to pay HD to do it for me.

Thanks

Old 09-12-2010, 08:43 AM
lkohan7373
Cruiser

Sorry typo rear tire.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put 2 sets on and didn't do anything with the wheel.

I've replaced 2 belt guards and didn't have to touch the wheel either.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:58 AM
jim425
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't need to take off the wheel, but dropping the suspension with a jack might be required to get to all of the bolts depending on the wrenches you have.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:20 PM
KentFXD
Cruiser

+1
I didn't touch the rear tire when I installed the passenger peg mounts, but you'll probably need a u-joint on your wrench to access the peg mount bolts -- limited access above them impairs your ability to have a straight shot at them.

Free Advice: Cover/tape all painted surfaces nearby.
High-torque bolts + restricted access = slipped wrenches and dinged paint!

Cheers,
Kent

Originally Posted by jim425
You don't need to take off the wheel, but dropping the suspension with a jack might be required to get to all of the bolts depending on the wrenches you have.

Last edited by KentFXD; 09-12-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:20 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by KentFXD
+1
I didn't touch the rear tire when I installed the passenger peg mounts, but you'll probably need a u-joint on your wrench to access the peg mount bolts -- limited access above them impairs your ability to have a straight shot at them.

Free Advice: Cover/tape all painted surfaces nearby.
High-torque bolts + restricted access = slipped wrenches and dinged paint!

Cheers,
Kent

+1 on this advice. I just put a set on my Street Bob last week. A swivel and a long extension and it was a piece of cake. about a 10 minute job....you will need the same ratchet set up for both sides.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:56 PM
cutter4292
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I removed the belt cuard. It made life a lot easier.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:45 PM
lkohan7373
Cruiser

OK. I figured the directions went a little above and beyond. I appreciate the input always great resources on this forum. Also thanks guys for the paint cover advice will do. Ride safe.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:40 PM
My01fxd
1st Gear

Hello all.
I am new to the forum thing and dont wana screw anything up...so i hope im at the right place. did a search for it and this is where i ended up...LOL...Anyway....I have a 2001 FXD its the newest harley ive ever owned...before this was an old iron head sporty....I just wanted to ask on my fxd there doesnt seem to be a place to mount passenger pegs on the belt side. On the exhaust side there is a square peg looking mount welded to the frame but nothing on the other at all. Ive done a search for mounting kits but have never seen anything that tells me specifically what to purchase and how to mount it.....Any and all help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:17 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I didn't have a jack at the time so I used a short driver like this one. I think the size was a T46. Use as much down force as you can when turning

Originally Posted by My01fxd
Hello all.
I am new to the forum thing and dont wana screw anything up...so i hope im at the right place. did a search for it and this is where i ended up...LOL...Anyway....I have a 2001 FXD its the newest harley ive ever owned...before this was an old iron head sporty....I just wanted to ask on my fxd there doesnt seem to be a place to mount passenger pegs on the belt side. On the exhaust side there is a square peg looking mount welded to the frame but nothing on the other at all. Ive done a search for mounting kits but have never seen anything that tells me specifically what to purchase and how to mount it.....Any and all help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
Mine mounted where the front of the belt guard attaches. Had to remove the existing factory mount and replace it with one made to add pegs

Quick Reply: Passenger Footpeg Mounts on FXD