Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard mounting throw over bags

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 10:55 AM
vermontrider
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard mounting throw over bags

I got tired of strapping a bag to the luggage rack on every trip just to carry a few extra things, so I decided to get some small bags. I didn't really want to relocate my taillights yet, so decided to get some slant bags that fit in between the shocks and lamps. The Willie and Max Black Magic bags seemed to me the best looking and also were the right size. They have a plastic insert in the bags which keeps the shape of the bag. I liked the hard mount better than the throw over, so then tried to figure a way to mount them without spending a lot of extra cash. I know there are commercial systems, but there is just something about doing things yourself.

(1) The first step is a little tedious. The bags come with a zipper type of yoke for quick removal of the bags. You could just cut the zipper assembly off, but I thought if I ever changed bags, cutting the stitching would allow me to re-attach the bags to the yoke and they could be as original.

(2) I cut the sheet metal to fit the back of the bag and used 3/16 bolts to go through the bag, and capped off the bolts with acorn nuts and fender washers on the inside.

(3) I cut the head off of a 2 1/4 x 3/8 bolt inch bolt and put that in place of the stock fender bolt which is the same thread, leaving just enough sticking out to go through the bag. It locks in place on the fender strut/mounting bar by threading on a washer and 1/2 in nut. You end up with a bag mounting stud.

(4) Next I drilled through the fender strut/mounting bar and put in a 2 x 5/16 bolt. You could also use 3/8 bolt. The bolt is pushed through from the tire side, and held in place by a washer and a 5/16 nut which locks it in place. The second mounting stud.

(5) Hold your bags in the place you want them to hang, mark the sheet metal with a magic marker and drill the holes through the sheet metal and the bag. I used a step bit.

(6) Put the bags on the studs and lock them in place with over sized washers and nuts.

The bags have held in place very well, they look clean, and are mounted close to the bike. Total cost of mounting hardware was under $20. Maybe you can come up with some variations to mount larger bags, or improve on this system. Good luck, good riding!

Attached Thumbnails Hard mounting throw over bags-sep-2010-1-.jpg   Hard mounting throw over bags-sep-2010-2-.jpg   Hard mounting throw over bags-sep-2010-3-.jpg   Hard mounting throw over bags-sep-2010-4-.jpg   Hard mounting throw over bags-sep-2010-5-.jpg  

Old 09-11-2010, 11:04 AM
jefx
Tourer

Nice setup.
I used a set of inverted HD QD sissy bar plates with a pair of Fox Creek bags. Snaps on and off in seconds.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's almost exactly how I did it on my old bike...a Suzuki Volusia.

I used aluminum on the inside of the bag, and even made it an L shape. Figured it would hold a little more weight than the bag itself.

Get some chrome acorn nuts for when you don't want to run the bags and it will dress up the studs.

Can you get me a rough measurement of your bags? I like the look of them on there!

Last edited by Mascman; 09-11-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:30 AM
vermontrider
Novice

Thanks, the bags measure 12 in x 9 x 5 1/2 deep.