Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throw-over saddle bags with solo seat???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 09:19 AM
love4steel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throw-over saddle bags with solo seat???

Im looking at getting some cheap throw-overs for my bob... But I got a solo seat only. Anyone been down this road already - Can it work?

Old 09-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Sure it will work ..just keep a few things in mind..
you may have to shorten or lengthen the distance between the bags so it will lay right..
It would be a wise idea if you can tie them to the frame or shock so they stay put,like not to get caught in the tire,rub the exhaust,or rub the frame..Good Luck.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a solo seat and cheap, $117 throwover bags. I bought a large rubber mouse pad and cut it down to protect the fender from scratches. I also used a couple of small cable ties to keep the bags from flying around at high speeds. I just looped the ties through a spring coil.

Name:  P1010026.jpg
Views: 11061
Size:  134.8 KB
Name:  P1010027-1.jpg
Views: 6206
Size:  118.3 KB
Name:  P1010028.jpg
Views: 6266
Size:  108.1 KB

Old 09-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I had some on my sporty with a mustang solo seat worked good....I wire tied them to my shocks

Old 09-11-2010, 10:27 AM
chromedome09
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dale_K
I have a solo seat and cheap, $117 throwover bags. I bought a large rubber mouse pad and cut it down to protect the fender from scratches. I also used a couple of small cable ties to keep the bags from flying around at high speeds. I just looped the ties through a spring coil.

+1 on the mouse pad... If you don't put something down to protect the paint .. the bags leave a noticable wear mark on the fender.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:35 AM
T-Dub
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what I did, Used some cheap brackets, which are basically a metal rod between two washers and bent, and mounted them to my bike with existing hardware. Then lined the bags up and marked the back of the bags where the brackets were. Drilled some small holes in the bag on either side of the bracket marks and inserted zipties. lined the bags up on the brackets and ziptied them to the brackets. Then I cut the center strap completely off. My bags are hard-mounted, so they don't come off. Since I have had bags on my bob, I have never had a need to remove them. I got some great locking bags from ebay for 60 bucks. If you would like pictures, PM me.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:36 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you look at any of the "Tack and Feed" horse web sites, you can find all kinds of throw over saddle bags. like said, you will probably need to shorten them by about 4~5"s in the middle, or you can cut them and hang them from the fender struts.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:41 AM
T-Dub
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveO-ll
If you look at any of the "Tack and Feed" horse web sites, you can find all kinds of throw over saddle bags. like said, you will probably need to shorten them by about 4~5"s in the middle, or you can cut them and hang them from the fender struts.

Ahh, Fender struts. Great idea.

I have the detachable docking for the backrest, so that doesn't work for me, but for someone without the docking hardware, it's a perfect idea.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:09 PM
love4steel
Cruiser

[QUOTE=Dale_K;7270696]I have a solo seat and cheap, $117 throwover bags. I bought a large rubber mouse pad and cut it down to protect the fender from scratches. I also used a couple of small cable ties to keep the bags from flying around at high speeds. I just looped the ties through a spring coil.

which bags are those - got a link? they look like they fit nice without having to move the turn signals

Old 09-11-2010, 07:40 PM
mickey01
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=love4steel;7271585]
Originally Posted by Dale_K

which bags are those - got a link? they look like they fit nice without having to move the turn signals
I looked at these also.. I believe they are the Tourmaster Cruiser II Slant Medium..
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/cata...-p-122_17.html

Quick Reply: throw-over saddle bags with solo seat???