Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing on a lift?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 06:50 PM
dyna-rider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Washing on a lift?

I have a J & S jack and was planning on using it to wash my Dyna. Is there any special care needed for the jack, lubrication, etc.? It would sure make it easier to clean the bike.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:57 PM
LozoB
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just keep the lift oiled or greased if it calls for that. It's way easier to wash on them (wheels etc...).

Old 09-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Sears red jack and used it a few times to lift my FXD and wash the wheels. Eventually I decided using the jack wasn't worth the risk of having a big accident so I just roll the bike a little and was the wheels one section at a time.

The jack worked though. I wasn't comforable using it.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:30 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I never used the jack for cleaning, looked to be a pain, instead I went to Harbor Freight and bought a wheel spinner for $20. Roll the bike on the spinner and you can easily turn the wheel....

Old 09-11-2010, 12:36 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna-rider
I have a J & S jack and was planning on using it to wash my Dyna. Is there any special care needed for the jack, lubrication, etc.? It would sure make it easier to clean the bike.

The only thing you would have to worry about it the wheels, but I think they have sealed bearings, so not even that. I wouldn't worry about it, I've done it on my J&S. Only once when I painted my forks, but my bike never sees a hose unless I've been stuck in rain.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:38 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to probably get a J and S for some smaller jobs and washing the bike as well.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:38 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dale_K
I have the Sears red jack and used it a few times to lift my FXD and wash the wheels. Eventually I decided using the jack wasn't worth the risk of having a big accident so I just roll the bike a little and was the wheels one section at a time.

The jack worked though. I wasn't comforable using it.

We don't have to worry about this with the J&S!! Sorry, but I love my jack!!

I just bought the J&S wheel chock for my trailer and I'll be installing it today, so keep an eye out.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:46 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master

I use a cheap auto store jack, never jack my bike up any higher then needed to get the wheels off the ground. Not sure what risks you're worried about.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:08 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
I use a cheap auto store jack, never jack my bike up any higher then needed to get the wheels off the ground. Not sure what risks you're worried about.
The Dyna's oil pan sticks down pass the frame and there is a bracket on the frame to protect it, which puts the bike crooked and unstable on a jack that isn't wide enough to clear the trans. Dyna's aren't flat on the bottom like your two bikes and need those gay lift adapters. Which is why I got a J&S!!

Look on the underside and you'll see

Last edited by JaronB; 09-11-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:15 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master

I've had a few dyna's, I think I just used a piece of 2x4 on the jack when I lifted it. It's been a while though.

Quick Reply: Washing on a lift?