Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lessons from the Road

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010 | 02:12 PM
CRF
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Lessons from the Road

Just got back from a couple of day trip. Went by myself and had a great time. Just thought I'd post a few very personal observations that I realized/remembered while riding:

Pack Light: All that stuff you think you need - you don't. In fact if the trip is less than 4 days you don't need to bring anything at all. I went for 2 days this time and all I took with me was my cold/wet weather gear rolled up and strapped to the handlebars and a toothbrush. I never even unrolled the wet weather gear. I've been on lots of trips and done it both ways (bringing everything but the kitchen sink and travelling with nothing) - rolling without the gear is better. I never end up using any of the stuff I bring anyway (except the toothbrush).

Waving Motorcyclists: The further you get from a city the more likely the bikers you pass are going to wave at you. By the time you are 100 miles out you'll basically be riding with one hand on the bars most of the time if you wave at everyone that waves at you. Be choosey who you wave to. I only wave at the first bike in a line and never wave in corners or on the freeway; this cuts it down to a tolerable level. Oh, and I figure sportbike riders are just going waaaaay too fast to see me anyway so I don't bother waving to them either.

Carry Water: Strap a bottle of water on your bike somewhere. Comes in handy for lots of stuff. I used it to quench my thirst, wash bugs off my sunglasses and rinse the sunscreen out of my eyes that blinded me and almost caused me to crash into a mountain.

Maps are for Sissies: Forget about following a set route or whatever... its way more fun to just have a general idea about direction and destination and just go the way the wind blows you. Sure you end up getting lost occasionally and doubling back or whatever but thats part of the adventure. Don't be afraid to change the route or destination as the mood strikes you.

Gas up at Night: When you get to where you'll be bedding down for the night get gas before you check into the hotel or whatever. Also check your oil, tire pressure and give the bike a general once over. Saves you having to dick around in the morning. You can just get up and go.

Pick the Right Motel: I like the ones with the parking right in front of the door to the rooms on the ground floor. That way your bike is close by.

100 Miles Before Breakfast: This one is key to making a lot of miles without trying too hard. If you get an early start (see getting gas etc the night before above) and have 50 - 100 miles under your belt by 9:30 or so when you stop for breakfast you'll be amazed at how far you can travel by dinner time without even breaking a sweat. I always do this. Travelling with people who wanna sleep till 10 then go get breakfast, have to get gas etc. before rolling out for the day is a nightmare...... you'll end up stopping for lunch after an hour and your day is half shot before you've gotten to the edge of town. I prefer to travel solo than to ride with people like this.

Motorhomes have no place on the nations hiways: Serisously - these things are a freaking mennace. Blocking traffic for miles then flooring it as soon as the road straightens out so most of the cars can't make it past....... If you really need all the comforts of home with you; I have a suggestion - Stay Home!!!! and if you feel the need to pretend to camp then go light a fire in your back yard and stay outta my way.

Women in Small Towns: Besides often being quite hot - all seem to have husky, gravelly, Brenda Vacaro voices. No idea what this is about but it seems to be a universal truth.

Greasy Spoons: Eat at the greasey diner or pub whenever you stop for food. These places are almost always great and are full of interesting people. Avoid the chain restaurants and fast food places - you can eat there when you get home if you want to.

BMW Riders: Avoid these people whenever possible. You have nothing in common with them, they are strange. - You have been warned.

Exception to Rule #1 (pack light): Do bring along a couple of basic tools. Just a crescent wrench, pair of vicegrips, a set of allens, multi-screwdriver and maybe a T-27 bit ..... even if you aren't a mechanical sort there is something comforting in knowing that you can tighten up a loose footpeg, crank down the riser clamp or tightn a loose exhaust mount if you need to. Just a couple of basic tools like this will get you through 95% of what is likely to cause you grief on a modern Harley (shovelheads are different animal altoghter though - I once took a 400 mile ride with my buddy and his brother on his shovel. He broke down 9 times. Didn't phase him a bit though - he had enough tools with him to open his own shop)

Theres probably more but that is what comes to me at the moment. Its a slow work day (as you can probably tell).

Old 09-07-2010 | 02:23 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

good stuff man, nice list.

it's hilarious how alike we think.

good for you for havin a good trip and making it back issue free.

Old 09-07-2010 | 02:27 PM
TxMongrel
Road Captain

Awesome, Thanks! I'm getting ready to hit the road to the Las Vegas Rally for about 8 days total, and this is great advice. Unfortunately, the less I pack for me, the more space my wife uses for her "maintenance" items, lol!

Old 09-07-2010 | 02:33 PM
arkieollie
Tourer

You know that advice is also good for longer trips. I just got back from a 13 day 12 night 4,400 mile trip to the East Coast by myself (Graceland, Niagara Falls, Statue of Liberty, Independence Hall, DC, Hatteras/Ocracoke and back through Deals Gap) and a lot of that holds true. I camped out on 5 of those nights and packing light is essential. Had a good outline to begin with but it varied as the trip progressed. My biggest lesson was not to plan too much for any given day. I thought that truck stops had some of the best food. Oh, and anything over 500 miles in one day is going to catch up with you the next day (at least it did for me).

Old 09-07-2010 | 02:34 PM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior

Some really good points.

This summer I came to the same conclusions and put into practice the gassing up before bed, getting 100 miles in in the morning processes, among others. Really helps eat up the miles.

Hadn't noticed the husky voice on the gals though. Had a conversation with one gal who had a really sweet voice. And a way too young waitress that had a very sexy alto voice.

Old 09-07-2010 | 02:48 PM
CRF
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TxMongrel
Awesome, Thanks! I'm getting ready to hit the road to the Las Vegas Rally for about 8 days total, and this is great advice. Unfortunately, the less I pack for me, the more space my wife uses for her "maintenance" items, lol!
That reminds me of one I forgot.....

Leave the Wife/Girlfriend/Significant Other at Home: No matter how much they tell you they enjoy riding on the back of your bike - they are lying. They would much rather be at the mall or the spa. In fact; chances are that you are going to have to stop at a mall at some point on your bike trip if they come along. The real reason they want to tag along is to keep an eye on you and ensure you aren't having any fun without them. Women hate the idea of you having fun unless they are part of it. Plus, deep down; they don't trust you - not that they should but I'm just saying..........

Last edited by CRF; 09-08-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-07-2010 | 03:14 PM
JRK5892
Banned

ha ha ha great read man! glad you had a good trip!

Old 09-07-2010 | 03:18 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by CRF
Women in Small Towns: Besides often being quite hot - all seem to have husky, gravelly, Brenda Vacaro voices. No idea what this is about but it seems to be a universal truth.

Greasy Spoons: Eat at the greasey diner or pub whenever you stop for food. These places are almost always great and are full of interesting people. Avoid the chain restaurants and fast food places - you can eat there when you get home if you want to.

BMW Riders: Avoid these people whenever possible. You have nothing in common with them, they are strange. - You have been warned.
#1...absolutely. I am surrounded by small towns and always find some really good looking women there. Most lack the Brenda Vaccaro voice but I do know what you're talking about. However, adding a fair southern accent to the mix makes them even hotter. I should introduce you to my favorite bank teller. I'm working on pics. Her breasts are beckoning to pose on my scooter.

#2...Always.

#3...Hit the nail on the head. They are most definitely a different breed.

Old 09-07-2010 | 03:26 PM
sonoffatboy
Tourer

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
#1...absolutely.
#3...Hit the nail on the head. They are most definitely a different breed.
true-dat ...BMW riders most likely drive friggin volvo as well....so they are odd *****

and the 100 miles before breakfast is a great idea...i have been on road trips were its 10:30 before you hit your first mile cause of late sleepers...or dawdlers dicking around with their bikes in the morning...and taking forever to choke down an order of bacon and eggs..~

Old 09-07-2010 | 04:14 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
From: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative

...and they calculate their fuel in liters & Euros.

Quick Reply: Lessons from the Road