Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lessons from the Road

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010 | 07:05 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member

Great information and a hilarious thread.... Don't forget that the late model Harley toothed girls are 1 down and 5 up...

Old 09-08-2010 | 07:26 PM
NYdyna
Cruiser

cool read...motivates us all to take a trip like that every so often

Old 09-08-2010 | 07:51 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tony P
Small town girls with gravely voices: They sound that way everytime they remove the Marlboro from their lips and open their pie hole to speak...
I really don't see much reason to spend a lot of time talking to them anyway.

Old 09-09-2010 | 04:12 AM
gus4440
Road Captain

I believe in traveling light myself, and I like trying the local food, and I avoid the big roads and cities.

If I avoided BMW riders I would have to avoid myself as I have been riding BMW's since 1988. I have an '02 1150 GS with 81,000 miles and an '09 1200 GS I just bought in March with 11,000 miles on it. I bought both new. I have been riding HD's since 1974. BMW riders are a little eccentric. Do make it a point to talk to them. Be subtle, ask them about their bike and how many miles they have on it. Ask about where they have been this year. Then tell them where you have been and how many miles are on your bike. Unless they ride Harleys too then it will shock them because they think Harley riders only bar hop and polish chrome in the garage. Be warned though that they may find you amusing if you are wearing shorts, fingerless gloves, and a dew rag with skulls, and riding a low mileage bike painted and chromed out like a 1970's pimp car.

I always have fun ridng my Harley around BMW riders and riding my BMW around Harley riders.

Old 09-09-2010 | 08:30 AM
goblin127
Tourer

Good read. There are some cool beemer people out there and some weird ones too. Hey I've got a winter beater volvo.

Old 09-09-2010 | 08:51 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

There's a few of things I disagree with...

1) I like to pack more than I need because I never know when I may need it.

2) I have to have a map. I only like getting lost to a point, then I want to find my way to that cold beer I was looking for.

3) BMW riders may be weird, surprisingly, they are more likely to have an orgy in their hotel room during bike week.

Old 09-09-2010 | 09:09 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by CRF
Leave the Wife/Girlfriend/Significant Other at Home: No matter how much they tell you they enjoy riding on the back of your bike - they are lying. They would much rather be at the mall or the spa. In fact; chances are that you are going to have to stop at a mall at some point on your bike trip if they come along. The real reason they want to tag along is to keep an eye on you and ensure you aren't having any fun without them. Women hate the idea of you having fun unless they are part of it. Plus, deep down; they don't trust you - not that they should but I'm just saying..........
I had an opportunity to prove to my wife this was true.

We had to go to Milwaukee for her graduation, which is 200 miles from our home. We went non-stop until just before entering Milwaukee when I decided to gas up.

When she was climbing back on the bike to finish the ride, she said if this is as often as you'd stop on a real trip I don't think I'd enjoy it.

In retrospect it kind of sucks because I like having her along. She's not the spa or mall going type. Either way, as long as you wear the pants in the family the rest of that jazz ain't a problem.

Only thing I'd add to your list is bring Imodium AD!

Old 09-09-2010 | 10:34 AM
t3h_clap
Cruiser

I always pack a bottle of pepto.

Old 09-09-2010 | 11:09 AM
dmayer
Tourer

Great read - informative and funny! So true about those motorhomes as well. If you want to camp, grab a backpack and hike into a forest. That is camping.

Old 09-23-2010 | 08:36 AM
Iskra
Tourer

lol nice

Quick Reply: Lessons from the Road