Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDC 2 into 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:11 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default FXDC 2 into 1

Got a 2010 FXDC thinking about a 2 into 1 but not for the typical reasons, so what I am after is

1. Easier to clean than stock
2. Least amount of noise I can find but some flexibility here.
3. Better or at least not worse ground clearance than stock
4. Little more performance wouldn't be a bad thing but not a requirement as long as there's not a loss.
5. Doesn't look like a&s.
6. Chrome or stainless

So what are the better quality ones, I liked how Rineharts looked but dealer said they are, noisy, crappy and not made any longer - recommended V&H. The did have a Sportster with a D&D that didn't look or sound too bad and the Fatcat looks ok..........any other choices I'm overlooking?

Old 09-05-2010, 08:19 PM
grizzwold
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thunderheader would be my choice. It seems to cover just about all the stuff you listed, the only thing nobody can help you with is looks, that is going to be subject to your own personal opinion.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:23 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

Dealer said the same thing but.............aren't those pretty loud?

Old 09-05-2010, 08:27 PM
scott63
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 09-05-2010, 08:33 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

BUB has a "Stealth" baffle that fits the pipes for FL models. Email them and see if they are getting one for the Dyna pipes. Their 2 into 1 looks pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bubracing#p/u/8/518lPPTrBkU

Old 09-13-2010, 12:31 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

So narrowing the choices a little

Thunderheader is out I think due to being loud and I have heard some having ground clearance issues.

V&H Pro Pipe is a maybe - looks nice, good build quality but a bit louder than I'd prefer unless the quiet baffle makes much difference?

ST Supermegs - Not bad looking, according to ST forums its about the quietest aftermarket 2 into 1 out there. Nver been too crazy about the disc system but I could probably live with it.

D&D Fatcat - nice looking, has a slight upsweep for ground clearance, not too sure how these are sound wise.........loud, quiet, somewhere in between? Build quality?

Lastly the Samson Powerflow, brand new system that looks really good, clean lines with upswept design and seem to sound nice without being too loud if the sound clips on their site and youtube are accurate. Bit on the spendy side at $800 but so far I like this one best. Anyone got or heard one?

Old 09-13-2010, 01:11 AM
beanie boy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, the V&H Pro Pipe is almost as loud as the Thunderheader

Old 09-13-2010, 08:31 AM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Supermeg was about $525. It was a little too quiet so I went with the open cap, it only takes a couple of minutes to change the tunes.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by p51bombay
Got a 2010 FXDC thinking about a 2 into 1 but not for the typical reasons, so what I am after is

1. Easier to clean than stock
2. Least amount of noise I can find but some flexibility here.
3. Better or at least not worse ground clearance than stock
4. Little more performance wouldn't be a bad thing but not a requirement as long as there's not a loss.
5. Doesn't look like a&s.
6. Chrome or stainless

So what are the better quality ones, I liked how Rineharts looked but dealer said they are, noisy, crappy and not made any longer - recommended V&H. The did have a Sportster with a D&D that didn't look or sound too bad and the Fatcat looks ok..........any other choices I'm overlooking?
Just my $.02 worth and just from what I've read --

Not that many people use a 2 into 1 for purely aesthetic purposes. For reasons that I completely understand. Most folks who use a 2 into 1 are doing it for performance purposes. Most of them have gone to a minimum of a High Flow Air Cleaner as well as a tuner of one kind or another. Some have done that and installed cams, high compression pistons and heads, big bore kits, etc, etc. They do it because they want to go fast. Real, real fast.

Since a bone stock 2010 FXDC is about as fast (maybe a little faster) in the 1/4 mile as a stock 1970 Hemi 'Cuda, I'm not sure I quite get it but -- Hey, whatever floats your boat.

If all you want is to look good and run good (completely understandable) I'm not sure a Hi-Performance, singe the hair off a gorilla's ***** at 30 paces, 2 into 1 system is right for you. For one thing, you will very likely have to do a tuner. Keep in mind, most 2 into 1 systems are for PERFORMANCE, not for looks. For another (and this is strictly my personal opinion), Harleys should have 2 exhaust pipes, not one.

But I think that's more 'me' than anything else. My first Harley, a new '77 FX(E), came stock with a 2 into 1 sewer pipe that I hated. Not 'disliked' mind you. Hated. You're probably not old enough to remember, but the economy went straight to hell in 1977, I lost my job, my wife (don't miss her), had to move out of State and almost lost my bike. If they'd found me, they would have snagged it from me. THAT would have hurt. Saved the bike but I had to look at that GD exhaust system for about three more years. Talk about broke? I was so poor, if it had cost a quarter to go around the world, I couldn't get out of sight.

Like I said, it's just my personal opinion. If I think that 2 into 1's on Harleys look like a gunny sack full of warts -- Don't mean nothing. Just me.

Or, is it?

Old 09-13-2010, 09:16 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Grendel4
Just my $.02 worth and just from what I've read --

Not that many people use a 2 into 1 for purely aesthetic purposes. For reasons that I completely understand. Most folks who use a 2 into 1 are doing it for performance purposes. Most of them have gone to a minimum of a High Flow Air Cleaner as well as a tuner of one kind or another. Some have done that and installed cams, high compression pistons and heads, big bore kits, etc, etc. They do it because they want to go fast. Real, real fast.

Since a bone stock 2010 FXDC is about as fast (maybe a little faster) in the 1/4 mile as a stock 1970 Hemi 'Cuda, I'm not sure I quite get it but -- Hey, whatever floats your boat.

If all you want is to look good and run good (completely understandable) I'm not sure a Hi-Performance, singe the hair off a gorilla's ***** at 30 paces, 2 into 1 system is right for you. For one thing, you will very likely have to do a tuner. Keep in mind, most 2 into 1 systems are for PERFORMANCE, not for looks. For another (and this is strictly my personal opinion), Harleys should have 2 exhaust pipes, not one.

But I think that's more 'me' than anything else. My first Harley, a new '77 FX(E), came stock with a 2 into 1 sewer pipe that I hated. Not 'disliked' mind you. Hated. You're probably not old enough to remember, but the economy went straight to hell in 1977, I lost my job, my wife (don't miss her), had to move out of State and almost lost my bike. If they'd found me, they would have snagged it from me. THAT would have hurt. Saved the bike but I had to look at that GD exhaust system for about three more years. Talk about broke? I was so poor, if it had cost a quarter to go around the world, I couldn't get out of sight.

Like I said, it's just my personal opinion. If I think that 2 into 1's on Harleys look like a gunny sack full of warts -- Don't mean nothing. Just me.

Or, is it?
Damn, Thats pretty dang well said. And I even owned a 2 into 1. Granted it was on a Buell, and I raced the Buell competitively, so it warranted a 2 into 1 system, but that bike always sounded like a Buell, NEVER like a Harley.

Quick Reply: FXDC 2 into 1