Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:24 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts
Default new vibration

my bike is an 06 superglide

lately (last month or so) i have added vibration that i mostly feel in my feet.

i have tried loosening motor mounts and idling for five seconds, and shimming front mount. Motor mount seem good, isolators seem worn but ok. This helped alittle but not enough to say it fixed the problem. i have had this bike for 4 years so i know how it is suppose to feel. the vibration is felt like i said mostly in the feet and seems to increase with rpms.

not sure if this is related or not but I have been having issues with the clutch too nothing major, hard shifts and trouble downshifting with the clucth in at a stop. I have adjusted it at the clutch and cable three times in one month.

around seven thousand miles ago i replaced inner primary bearing and race along with a new welded stator/rotor after mine came apart

could clutch or clucth hub bearing cause this type of vibration.
the bike has 43,000 miles

need some suggestions

Old 09-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hard shifts and trouble downshifting can be a primary chain too tight or loose, or a primary fluid issue (too much or too little).

Have you measured your crank shaft runout?

Are your pipes rubbing on anything?

Old 09-05-2010, 11:45 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

pipes are ok.
I have not measured crack shaft runout

I did the inner primary bearing at home, but 600 miles later when my stator went I was on the road and had to have it done a hd dealership. So I am not 100% sure about the primary chain or tensioner. When they did my stator they refilled the primary with hd primary fluid, i had been using syn3 in there untill then. the fluid level looks a little low, but i was told that it is not critical in the primary.

Should i first try draining and refilling primary and if i do does it matter if i use hd primary fluid or should i go back to syn 3.

thanks

Old 09-05-2010, 07:43 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

i drained the primary and it was aliittle low about 3/4 of a quart. there was alittle metal on the drain plug but nothing out of the ordinary

i refilled it with syn3, full quart

i tried to look around in there with the borascope, kind of hard to tell really, but there is nothing loose or broken in there. chain tension i couldn't really feel with primary cover on, but it wasn't loose and tensioner shoe looked fine.

i started it up with the fliud drained and inspection cover off, reved it up and worked the clucth, nothing strange happened like the clutch bouncing around

i will ride it tonight or tomorrow, hopefully it was just the low fluid

Old 09-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by hell hound
pipes are ok.
I have not measured crack shaft runout

I did the inner primary bearing at home, but 600 miles later when my stator went I was on the road and had to have it done a hd dealership. So I am not 100% sure about the primary chain or tensioner. When they did my stator they refilled the primary with hd primary fluid, i had been using syn3 in there untill then. the fluid level looks a little low, but i was told that it is not critical in the primary.

Should i first try draining and refilling primary and if i do does it matter if i use hd primary fluid or should i go back to syn 3.

thanks
More critical than many think. Too low, or too high makes for stiff shifts.
See what your manual calls for.

I just this week helped a neighbor with low primary fluid. He had just brought it from the shop after a tranny shaft seal replacement.
The shop only put a quart it, (His 08 manual called for 38oz wet / 45 oz dry). He was shifting stiff and couldn't find neutral. Had to shut it off at a toll booth, neutral was so hard to find. Seen with a flashlight how low it was, has him add 10oz. Bike shifts much smoother and neutral is easy to find.

Not sure what your 06 calls for, but find out and make sure it's right.
It is important, regardless of what you were told.

But I don't see where a vibration can come from it.

Checking crank runout would be high on my list. It can be done with the cam plate on. Have to remove you pipes and cam cover, and put a dial indicator on it.

High crank runout happens, and will cause vibration. I have had one in the past that was too high.
Hopefully it won't be the case with yours, but you will sleep better after confirming that.

The primary fluid you asked about, (brand) is not critical.
I like Redline MTL.
Either way, whatever they have in there is not worth changing until next interval. Nothing to do with vibration.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Wait a minute,...... I wonder if your compensator nut is coming loose?
They just did your stator and the compensator has to come off for that.

A loose compensator nut can give you the same symptoms. Vibration in the floorboards.