Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question Installing Rigid Mount Sideplates for Sissy Bar

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:17 PM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Question Installing Rigid Mount Sideplates for Sissy Bar

Hi all. I embarked on installing a sissy bar setup with Rigid Mount Sideplates (Part# 52856-06) on my 2010 FXDC. Looks like a simple enough job but I ran into a snag 10 minutes in. I removed the torx screw securing the fender support cover to the fender. I then went on to remove the bolt securing the rear directional which has to be done from inside the fender (tire side). It was tough to get at while the bike is on the side stand but I was able to get it with a box wrench. Here is where I ran into the problem. The screw is so long you can't pull it out once unscrewed because the rear tire gets in the way. Is there a way around this or does the bike need to be on a jack so the tire drops far enough without the weight of the bike to get the bolt out?

Is there another way to get the tire out of the way. Outside of this obstacle it looks like 30 minute job. Any help is appreciated.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:27 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

You might try unbolting the shocks so the swingarm drops down to give you more clearance. You would need to be on a lift for this to work.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:33 PM
cutter4292
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I used a floor jack to lift the rear off the ground then removed the lower shock bolts. ( have the side stand down). You only have to drop the wheel 1/4 to 1/2 inches to be able to slid the bolt out far enough for the side plate. Just be careful and you should be ok.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:15 PM
dsiltman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on unbolting shocks, thats what I did.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:21 AM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lift up on the rear end.

You don't have to unbolt the shocks. If you can find some one to lift up on the rear fender for a few seconds you get enough clearance to push the bolt in. Been there and done it. Having it on a bike lift also helps. It takes a little upper body strength to do this. Had to send for my son.

Make sure you get the turn signal wires back in the little clips/guides on the inside of the fender. They could rub and cause you problems later if you don't.

Your right except for the problem with the bolts its a 45 minute max job, if you have the jack or someone to lift the rear end up.

Last edited by spiritwarrior; 09-04-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:46 AM
16VAFXDL
Road Captain
Veteran: Army
Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

Just recently went through the same thing with my FXDC. Ended up with no choice but to put it on a lift to let the rear tire down. With the bike up, it really did only take about 15 minutes to finish all the work.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:10 AM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

If you have a way of pumping it back up you could also just let air out of the rear tire. If I remember correctly the bolt doesn't need a lot of extra room.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:11 AM
tcatnat
Road Master

Thanks for all the help guys. I am hoping to be able to do it just by taking the weight off the back tire like suggested. Unfortunately I don't have a bike lift/jack so I may just see if I can do it with a car scissor jack. I am hoping that jacking just a few inches while leaving the tire still touching the ground is enough; just like jacking a car. Like mentioned above 1/2" should be plenty to get the bolt out. Hoping not to have to remove lower shock bolt.

I'll report back when complete; probably not until tomorrow night since I plan on spending time riding this weekend rather then wrenching.

I knew I should have picked up the Harbor Freight lift when it was on sale last week.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:14 AM
tcatnat
Road Master

Originally Posted by Blaster
If you have a way of pumping it back up you could also just let air out of the rear tire. If I remember correctly the bolt doesn't need a lot of extra room.
Simple solution that I never though of. I do have a small (135psi) Porter Cable air compressor so this may be an option also.

Thanks a lot

Old 09-04-2010, 09:21 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

If you do your own wrenching, invest in a lift, life will be much simpler in the long run.
There is a thread about modding it to make it very easy to use.
The Sears red lift works like a champ.

Quick Reply: Question Installing Rigid Mount Sideplates for Sissy Bar