Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pirelli Night Dragons Installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 01:45 PM
leepetersusn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pirelli Night Dragons Installed

It was time for new tires due to cracking in the treads and I decided to go with a 180 for the rear and matching front. After researching this site and others, I decided with the Pirelli Night Dragon over the Dunlop. I like the looks, but it really doesn't seem just by looking at it that it is much wider. Maybe it's just the way it's shaped. I only rode it home from the shop that installed it, @ 5 miles, and I can already tell a difference in the way it handles. Much better. Tomorrow will be the test, I've got a 300 mile ride planned with some friends. I'll let ya'll know what I think after the ride.

Lee

Old 09-03-2010, 02:44 PM
ratt196635
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 09-03-2010, 02:49 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Take it easy for the first 50 miles. Until you get some miles on them they could be slippery through the turns.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:53 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

definatly take it easy for a few miles. I had a newe tire come out from under me leaving the shop parking lot, it was like i was on ice. it was coverd with oily stuff

can't wait to hear how you like these tires,

Old 09-03-2010, 04:29 PM
OLDED
Intermediate
Default Night Dragon

I have had my 180 Night Dragon on for about 800 miles or so now and like it a lot. It is a smoother ride, feels easier to lay over into corners and doesn't want to follow cracks and seams in the pavement at all. I am running 36 psi. as a compromise between 1 up and 2 up. Between the new tire and shimming the front motor mount, it is like a new bike - but better than original. Didn't make any changes to the wiring and didn't use the stealers kit - all clears great. It is a bit taller and lets me lean it a few degrees more before the pegs rub too, not that an old fart like me does much of that anymore. It may even make the speedo more accurate being taller. (the Bob's Speedo - not mine)

Old 09-03-2010, 06:54 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my 180 Night Dragon! It is only about 5mm wider than the Dunlop 160 due to the sport bike curve of the tread. With the old Dunlops I had zero chicken strips but with the higher Night Dragon I have at least a 1/2" chicken strip because you simply can't lay it down to the sidewall before you drag the primary case or the pipes.
I've got over 3K miles on my rear and still have huge tread left. It is so much stickier than the Dunlop there really isn't any comparison, don't sweat slamming the throttle in a curve because it is going to launch you, not slip out from under you.

I have the 100/90-19 Night Dragon at the shop waiting for the Avon Venom to wear out up front. Looking forward to extreme performance in the future.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:38 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sniper77
I love my 180 Night Dragon! It is only about 5mm wider than the Dunlop 160 due to the sport bike curve of the tread. With the old Dunlops I had zero chicken strips but with the higher Night Dragon I have at least a 1/2" chicken strip because you simply can't lay it down to the sidewall before you drag the primary case or the pipes.
I've got over 3K miles on my rear and still have huge tread left. It is so much stickier than the Dunlop there really isn't any comparison, don't sweat slamming the throttle in a curve because it is going to launch you, not slip out from under you.

I have the 100/90-19 Night Dragon at the shop waiting for the Avon Venom to wear out up front. Looking forward to extreme performance in the future.
So you think the ND will handle better than the Avon? I was thinking of going to the the Venom from a ND. What is you view on the Venom?

Old 09-03-2010, 07:52 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I switched to the Avon Venom's years ago and they've never given me any reason to switch to anything else. Great tire!

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
So you think the ND will handle better than the Avon? I was thinking of going to the the Venom from a ND. What is you view on the Venom?

Old 09-03-2010, 08:33 PM
MarineMike
Cruiser

I've had mine for a few weeks. Love them, Love them, Love them. Soo much better than the craplops. The bike wants to dig into the corners now. Wish I pulled the trigger on this mod way sooner than I did.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:45 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
I've been very happy with the Avon Venom up front. When I bought it I was at a point where I couldn't justify buying a new rear tire but knew I was never going with another Dunlop.

I've probably got close to 14k on the Avon right now and am still going to get another 1 - 2 K out of it but..... it's at a point now where I am catching a lot of the rain grooves in the interstate, I'm steadily wearing the New Night Dragon down and want to see how a matched set will perform, I wanted a 180 out back and Avon didn't offer it, etc., etc., ....

I really have nothing negative to say about the way the Avon has performed whatsoever, I just need a single tire and want to finally run a matched set this go-round.

Quick Reply: Pirelli Night Dragons Installed