Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble with install of HD highway peg mounting kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:38 AM
vega823
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble with install of HD highway peg mounting kit

The kit comes with a pair of setscrews that start to thread okay, but won't tighten enough so that the three threads remain (as the instructions say they should). Anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you resolve it? I tried a little WD40, but the sucker will not turn anymore.
Thoughts?
Thanks.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:46 AM
kydav
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had them on my 2009 FDX. Had no problems installing them.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:00 AM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are they genuine HD accessory or the tawain junk which includes pot metal hardware. HD allen head bolts are grade 8 with self tapping starting threads. I tried the cheap junk and returned them as the bolts just came apart. Best to use a torque wrench too. If I recall correctly, it is 42 ft lb spec.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:08 AM
jblank37
Road Captain

Are you sure that the set screws are not for you to adjust the bars backward or forward for your leg length? There should be another set of holes in the bars for this adjustment.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:51 AM
vega823
Road Master

Originally Posted by joflewbyu2
Are they genuine HD accessory or the tawain junk which includes pot metal hardware. HD allen head bolts are grade 8 with self tapping starting threads. I tried the cheap junk and returned them as the bolts just came apart. Best to use a torque wrench too. If I recall correctly, it is 42 ft lb spec.
Genuine HD (p/n 49002-98).

Old 09-03-2010, 11:52 AM
vega823
Road Master

Originally Posted by jblank37
Are you sure that the set screws are not for you to adjust the bars backward or forward for your leg length? There should be another set of holes in the bars for this adjustment.
According to diagram in the instructions, there is only one place for the set screw to be installed.
I guess I will go back to the dealer when I get some time and have him look at it.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

You need to chase the threads in the hole....There cloged up....

Old 09-03-2010, 12:11 PM
PhilCat th PeaceFrog
Advanced

Reads like u need 2 back that screw out & chase the threads on the bolt & the blind hole on the peg mnt. Not what u want 2 read with the screw bound up but there it is. After u chase them with a tap and die use red locktight & tighten them up after adjusting the angle. Same thing the dealer will do because situations like these don't always occur in our garage. Super nice ride u have there by the way. Have fun #ridesafe

Old 09-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vega823
According to diagram in the instructions, there is only one place for the set screw to be installed.
I guess I will go back to the dealer when I get some time and have him look at it.
You could stick a pick in the hole to see if there's some nasty in there interfering with the set screw. Probably not.

How much of the set screw is, a) Going into the threaded hole and, b) Sticking out of the threaded hole? I'm thinking the geniuses at Harley's vendor stuck a couple too-small set screws in your packet or one of the machinists at the York assembly plant didn't drill and/or tap the hole in the frame deep enough. Also, are the actual mounting bolts going in deep enough? Are you certain? Be sure. Maybe put them in without the set screws just to see if they are.

If there's enough of both going into the hole that you feel it's bottoming out and plenty safe, then you could just grind off the end of it or, better yet have them give you a pair of slightly shorter set screws. "IF" you feel safe doing that.

Probably. It looks to me like those set screws don't do much beyond the positioning of the mounting plate. If the set screws are too long? No biggie. Simple fix. If the holes in the frame aren't drilled and/or tapped deep enough? Personal call on your part as to what to do.

But I've never seen that particular unit so I'm just guessing.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:43 PM
cutter4292
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like your installing the adjustable ones. I had some weld splatter in the bottom of the holes on mind and could not get it out. So i just cut 1/8 of an inch off of the allen bolt. It worked fine.

Put a nut on the allen bolt so you don't mess up the threads before cutting. I used a cut off wheel.

Last edited by cutter4292; 09-03-2010 at 07:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Trouble with install of HD highway peg mounting kit