Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small dent on top of tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:15 AM
Kev_England
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Small dent on top of tank

Hi all,
My tank has a small dent on the top. Not worth taking a pic since its pretty small. But I can see it! It's about 2" to the left of the gas cap.

Has anyone successfully used any of the dent removal products? E.g. Dent King (I think its called)?

I plan on getting it painted, but thats about a year off at least. In the mean time was hoping to get this dent out if I can do it cheaply.

Don't ask me how the PO put the dent in there (it wasnt me--I swear!)

Old 08-31-2010, 09:19 AM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used the paintless dent repair people before. Most will not do a motorcycle tank but a couple will. Didnt cost me that much.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:27 AM
bcmiles
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think any dent remover (at least the suction cup kind) would work on a gas tank since the metal is fairly thick. With the tank getting repainted, I would wait and just bondo the dent prior to paint.

Another way would be to find a metal bar with a bend in it. Insert it through the gas opening and pry the dent up. But again, I've only seen this done on huge dents and it'll probably end up looking worse than better.

I'd just wait it out dude!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:43 AM
goblin127
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bcmiles
I don't think any dent remover (at least the suction cup kind) would work on a gas tank since the metal is fairly thick. With the tank getting repainted, I would wait and just bondo the dent prior to paint.

Another way would be to find a metal bar with a bend in it. Insert it through the gas opening and pry the dent up. But again, I've only seen this done on huge dents and it'll probably end up looking worse than better.

I'd just wait it out dude!
Don't do the metal bar trick,it will look worse than it does now. Don't ask!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have been working on a small dent in a tank I recently bought cheap. I have almost completely removed it, although it is still work in progress. The technique I tried was posted on a website somewhere, don't recall where, aimed at removing small dents in auto panels.

Heat the area with a hair drier, then immediately spray with a plumber's CO2 can, which freezes it briefly. I have used up one can and am about to buy another, in the hope I can finish getting it out. Sounds crazy, but it has reduced a shallow dent about 1 1/2" diameter to just 1/2".

Last edited by grbrown; 08-31-2010 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:25 AM
abi
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I have been working on a small dent in a tank I recently bought cheap. I have almost completely removed it, although it is still work in progress. The technique I tried was posted on a website somewhere, don't recall where, aimed at removing small dents in auto panels.

Heat the area with a hair drier, then immediately spray with a plumber's CO2 can, which freezes it briefly. I have used up one can and am about to buy another, in the hope I can finish getting it out. Sounds crazy, but it has reduced a shallow dent about 1 1/2" diameter to just 1/2".
That works. Search Youtube, there are a bunch of vids on how to do it.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown

No, it's not crazy. That's how they took out a lot of dents on OLDER cars. Back when they used much thicker steel.

A machinist that does big STEEL (not cast) crankshafts like those used on punch presses or something with a 5" to 6" throw can tell you about it, too. Sometimes they're bent WAY out of shape and they'll use a torch and then pour a small amount of water on it to straighten out the bend. It works.

I just didn't think about using a hair dryer. Hmmm. Decent idea. I wouldn't go NEAR a gas tank with an open flame. I don't care if it's filled with water or not (you don't wanna know). I was almost gonna mention a heat gun. But I'm not gonna mention it.

No way. Too dangerous.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:23 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by abi
That works. Search Youtube, there are a bunch of vids on how to do it.
They are quite dramatic, showing the dent pop out with a distinct sound. My tank is only straightening out very gradually and quietly! I've lost count of how many times I've used the heat/cold treatment, but it seems worthwhile.

Originally Posted by Grendel4
I just didn't think about using a hair dryer. Hmmm. Decent idea. I wouldn't go NEAR a gas tank with an open flame. I don't care if it's filled with water or not (you don't wanna know). I was almost gonna mention a heat gun. But I'm not gonna mention it.

No way. Too dangerous.
Having bought my tank secondhand, it has obviously not been used for a while. I can smell gas in it, but it is only faint. The hairdrier only makes the metal a little hotter than I can touch it.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:49 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I put a "support our troops" sticken on my dent. Original plan was to get new paint in a year or two and this was a temporary cover-up. Several years later, I still like the sticker and don't mind the dent.

Attached Thumbnails Small dent on top of tank-miniapes.jpg  
Old 08-31-2010, 01:35 PM
sanman357
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a smaller one of these kits, http://www.eastwood.com/professional...epair-kit.html Bought it when they had a sale. I had a 02' XTerra that some one dented my fender right on the rolled flair. Took some time learning how to use the kit. I could still feel a tiny wave in the paint. If you were looking for it you could feel it but it really wasn't noticeable unless you were trying to find it. Also sometimes the CO2 trick works too. But i think the tank metal is too thick.

Quick Reply: Small dent on top of tank