Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros & Cons buying a new Low Rider for me ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 08:24 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros & Cons buying a new Low Rider for me ?

Pros & Cons buying a new Low Rider for me ?

It was bothering me, why dump in 8 or 9 large into my shovel when I could put that money towards a new Low Rider, I must be nuts, dumping that money into this old bike !, so I ask one of my buddys at work who just got a new '06 LR some questions about the new ride.

After all the compt's yeah, nice ride, wow look at that rear tire, nice trans etc. I started on, are you going to replace the pipes, A/C ?

Yeah real soon, then he started in on all this O2 sensor, download maps ? what ? I heard about HD going w more computer power and I remember about PC when FI came out, but it looks to me as one hella of jump ahead, man I don't know crap about this stuff (other than odds 'n ends on cars) I got to get up to speed.

That when he said come here on HDForum, ok so I sand bag a little reading everything I could on FI and changing out exhausts, A/C, what are you using PCIII, fuelpak, SERT etc. wow there is a boat load I don't know out there, anyway I copied a lot on a word.doc and was learning a lot, from a lot of people who did the work !

Did some commenting on posts, never posted, (this is not shovelworld this is my first post) reading about what riders are doing to their bikes what troubles riders are having w/what mod etc.

All the while, having a feeling something is bothering me ?

Then it hit me, if I buy a new ride it starts all over again AH ! and worst this time !

CON's

Back to looking at the wall ! the catalogs ! the parts under the glass! taking off that **** poor seat ! those god awful shocks ! (known for a long time that HD can cheapen these two items) changing out those stock brake, turn signals w/antique bulbs and lens ! at least 800 more for forward controls ! Not only a shop book that's a given but a Fuel/Electrical book ! and all the little items that cost all kinds of money, not too far down the line, painting the tins !

WTF am I doing ! to go through this all over again ! bullcrap, I am getting that 7 large shovel engine from S&S, that is so far updated from the time HD made the last one in '84.

And the pros of this ?

My butt already sits on a bike that is all set up already, great seat & shocks, really good tires, Alum solid rear wheel, PM brake, good lighting, S/S cables, chrome inter/outer primarys, Rivera PRO clutch, Accutronix forward controls, oil cooler and a great paint job, ok I need a second re-build engine, but I don't have to put up with.

No FI, no computers, no O2 sensors, no engine readers (which one?), no maps, no slip-ons, no EPA regs like emission testing down the road, the good news is, my bike will be grandfathered in any new EPA reg's, thats guaranteed but what won't be guaranteed will be '06 to'10, models. And knowing I can buy any exhaust I want w/o going through bs about oxygen sensors !

The better good news, chicks don't asked, never wondered "what year is that bike" they don't care, it's not a car.

I must have been nuts !

cj

Old 09-07-2006, 08:32 PM
ReeseSS
Tourer
Default RE: Pros & Cons buying a new Low Rider for me ?

Pros and cons of buying a new low rider for you?

Con, Why would I want to buy you a bike?
Pro.... Not any

by the way, nice rant!

Old 09-07-2006, 08:52 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

OKAY!! [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 09-07-2006, 09:04 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn you almost talked me out of the 06 Dyna I already have.The fuel injection is a headache .And the "closed loop" ? on the 06s is so new very few people really know how to tune it.It can be done and this is the place to learn how to do it but I'd rather have 1 carb. Any numbskull can rejet a single but with the FI I hope you have a laptop or a computer in your garage.I wonder if anybody makes a kit to rip the fuel injection off a twincam and replace it with a big CV or flatslide?

Old 09-07-2006, 09:11 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you want to? a) new ride
b) new ride to customize
c) you want a new ride

That's about it.

Cons

a) costs more than an old ride
b) you already have a bike
c) you don't want a new ride

That's about it

Old 09-07-2006, 09:49 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

lmao. yep,good rant,sounds like u going to keep the old one (for the chicks). no chicks here,just cows ..moo moooo,plenty of hogs here tho )))))

Old 09-08-2006, 12:41 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I really like my new LowRider but you do have to spend about $2k to get it "right". But a good stage 1 job done by a trained dyno tech will make a world of difference. But either way......a Harley Davidson motorcycle never goes out of style......it's like a vintage Porsche or Mercedes......always has class. IMO.

So no matter which way you go.......you win.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:55 AM
BlackOak®
Advanced

Dump the money into the shovel.....

BlackOak®

Old 09-08-2006, 01:03 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

BlackOak..........awesome bike you got there........

Old 09-08-2006, 01:04 AM
PoleCat
Road Captain

Well CJ, I'm lost. Are you asking us to try to talk you into getting a newer bike?

or out of wanting a newer bike?

It actually seems to me like you got everything under control.

My advice: To thine own self be true . . . In other words - screw what anyone else thinks, and do what makes you feel best. "Chicks" are generally a very poor way to chose a course of action. In the end, you have only yourself to please . . . or to blame - however it works out.

If it were me . . . I'd keep 'er and fix what needed fixing . . . enjoy the ride and save for a 2010 model.

Ride safe partner.

Quick Reply: Pros & Cons buying a new Low Rider for me ?