Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep the Dyna,or go for a Road King?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:04 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

dgwdp

Old 08-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 216 Posts

You have an '04 Dyna. In '06 they redisigned the frame. Hop on a new Dyna, then compare it to an RK.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:25 PM
NYdyna
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dyna all the way!

Old 08-30-2010, 04:45 PM
bqualls
Tourer
Default Keep the Dyna, or go for a Road King?

Your call and your money. Other opinions don't matter much. I can understand the appeal of the RK - ABS, cruise control, more luggage carrying capacity, etc. The RK seems to offer a lot at that price point. I think you are also smart looking at a low-mileage, used bike, still under warranty. Someone else took the bulk of the depreciation on that bike.

I upgraded to my Dyna when HD offered the Sporty MSRP trade-up deal. I owned my Sporty out-right, and I was able to stroke a small check for the Dyna and own it outright too. Two of my friends who own RKs argued for the RK over the Dyna, but I would have had to spend a few thousand more for the RK, further depleting my savings account. I did the deal when the economy was really in the tank, and I didn't feel like spending any more money. I also didn't want to borrow money for a motorcycle. No one rides with me two-up, and I'm a weekend rider, so the Dyna meets all my needs.

A motorcycle is a luxury item, so one school of thought is to get what you really want. Again, you have to do your own calculus. Let us know what you decide. I'm always interested in how people justify an emotional decision with logic.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:05 PM
roblack
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bqualls,just to clarify,this Road King is brand spanking new,2010,with full waranty. Thats why the dealers offering it at a good price,he has 3 Road Kings,couple of Ultras,and a few others,including a Crossbones left over,and the 2011's are in. Big difference from the 90's,when every new bike around here was sold before the dealer got it.When I ordered my 96 Wideglide,it took four months to get it. I could have sold it at a profit before I got it out of the showroom.

Ive made the decision. I just bought a windshield for the Low Rider on E-Bay,so Im keeping her. Im still going to the demo ride though,love to try a V-Rod too.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Shred4204
Cruiser

My 2 younger bro's got e-glides...no probs goin 70 mph for lengths of time...I have a 07 SB and only use for around town..dont like the highway..I feel like a parachute...I'm 5'8" and about 135 lbs...so the SB fits me..but I think in the future I will lean towards a Street Glide for comfort and wind protection..is alot easier on the bod..well okay...nearing 50 and just cant do things I used to..the only thing I dread is tipping over..lol

Old 08-30-2010, 06:10 PM
bqualls
Tourer
Default Keep the Dyna, or go for a Road King?

Originally Posted by roblack
bqualls,just to clarify,this Road King is brand spanking new,2010,with full waranty.

Ive made the decision. I just bought a windshield for the Low Rider on E-Bay,so Im keeping her. Im still going to the demo ride though,love to try a V-Rod too.
Thanks for the clarification, man. I misread your original post. Good choice!

Old 08-30-2010, 06:12 PM
KAUFMANSM
Tourer

Keep both, its the best to have both and make the choice which one to ride when!
I love having the decision to make.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:02 PM
CarbideDude
Tourer

Come on guys. What was it by the original post that gave you the even slight feeling that having both was an option?

I've had 2 road kings and now on my second dyna. It would take a lot of motor work to make the road king run with the dyna because the dyna weighs at least 100 pounds less. And any advanced motor work you did to the touring bike you could do to the dyna and it would be even that much faster. Also even though the redesigned the touring frame, the dyna will still handle much better.

My guess is if you trade the best bike you ever owned for the road king you would regret it. But still see if they'll let you take the road king on a test ride? It may be just the bike for you.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:56 AM
roblack
Cruiser

Carbidedude,thats exactly what Im thinking,Id miss the pwer and handling of the Dyna,and no,I have to have something to drive in the winter so both is not an option. Ill let you guys know about the RK test drive.

Quick Reply: Keep the Dyna,or go for a Road King?