Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help low idle today

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help low idle today

I went for a ride today and in the middle of the ride my motor had a low idle but did not stall rode fine but low idle at stop lights, etc then it came back for five minutes and was low again for a total of 60 miles , i stop to get something to eat for about 2 hours started it back up and it seem fine for the last 15 miles till i parked it in my garage , no check engine light came on , etc my friend said maybe i should buy some fuel injector cleaner i always use the same gas station and never had any problems with the idle , I hate to have to bring it to the dealer and spend ALOT money for nothing !!!!!! Has anybody had this situation ?

Thanks , Wonka !!

Old 08-29-2010, 05:19 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Check your idle set screw, they tend to wander, at least it did on my 07 Street Bob. Mine went the other direction and caused the idle to go way up, but I imagine it could go that way as well.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:53 PM
BluBob
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on the idle set screw. I rode 500 miles at speeds up to 80-85mph a few weeks ago and noticed a low idle at gas stops. It was pretty warm out, and at that time I thought it might have been my throttle cable stretching just a bit, coupled with an incorrectly adjusted idle screw. Coming home it was cooler, and I didn't have any similar problems. I still haven't had a chance to check it out, but the screw will be my first stop.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:58 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,763 Likes on 2,531 Posts

I've of the IAC device in the throttle bore of the fuel injection bikes getting gummed up with the oil vapors being sent back into the throttle bore. Clean with a throttle bore cleaner, turn the ignition on and off a few times, that usually does the trick.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
I've of the IAC device in the throttle bore of the fuel injection bikes getting gummed up with the oil vapors being sent back into the throttle bore. Clean with a throttle bore cleaner, turn the ignition on and off a few times, that usually does the trick.
Is throttle bore cleaner the same as fuel injection cleaner ? If not were can i buy it ?

Thanks , Wonka

Old 08-29-2010, 09:16 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 770 Posts

Throttle bore cleaner is in a spray can. I use CRC but you can get it at any parts store. Some people use carb cleaner. Just make sure you put a clean rag in the bore so the crap that runs out of the IAC does not go into your engine.
Fuel injection cleaners are different, they go in the gas tank.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:14 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with seniorsuperglide08 on this one.

Both the IAC and the TPS can cause this problem. The IAC can be cleaned with carb cleaner sprayed through the throttle bore while the engine is running. Turning the ignition on and off will cycle the IAC through it's range of motion and help the carb cleaner remove any deposits. The TPS is another issue and can't be 'cleaned' but can be checked for good connection at the plug.

Couple of questions: Did you pull the clutch in while you were riding and note what happened to the engine rpm?
Did it fall off completely(possible VSS) or drop a good bit and hold at a higher than normal idle rpm (as it should)?

Old 08-30-2010, 07:32 AM
Wonkaboy
Banned

Originally Posted by sniper77
I'm with seniorsuperglide08 on this one.

Both the IAC and the TPS can cause this problem. The IAC can be cleaned with carb cleaner sprayed through the throttle bore while the engine is running. Turning the ignition on and off will cycle the IAC through it's range of motion and help the carb cleaner remove any deposits. The TPS is another issue and can't be 'cleaned' but can be checked for good connection at the plug.

Couple of questions: Did you pull the clutch in while you were riding and note what happened to the engine rpm?
Did it fall off completely(possible VSS) or drop a good bit and hold at a higher than normal idle rpm (as it should)?

Yes while riding i was following someone and had to slow down so i pull in my clutch and noticed the change to to low rpm /idle it stayed for atleast 50 miles ( same low idle with clutch pulled in or neutral) and did not stall but near the end i thought it really was going stall the low idle went lower and i was giving gas just in case so it would not stall and had arrived at my destination to eat , 2 hours later i start it up and it had the reg high rpm then went down to normal but acting kind of sparatic i know what your talking about the higher than normal rpm it does happen once in awhile but not to much it did happen once during this past week and it came back down in a couple of minutes i don't what that's all about either , it has a half a tank of fuel so later i will fill up at another station , what do you think it could be ?

Thanks , Wonka !

Last edited by Wonkaboy; 08-30-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:05 AM
Silverearl
Road Captain

My 03 does the same thing but I have noticed that the idle screw has moved. I need to put some lucite on it I guess.

Last edited by Silverearl; 08-30-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

wonka my bike has been doing it to and cant figure it out....ive cleaned the iac the tps adjust the throttle and idle cables etc...its not a constant issue so ive kinda just dealt with it...if you figure it out send let me know

Quick Reply: Please help low idle today