Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I must say!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have begun touring on my Fat Bob and I really enjoy the experience; it's even a bit better touring experience than my '74 R90 was (or could be, it's still in my garage, immobile for about 24 years) when I was doing a bit of touring before.

As 8541 insightfully says, comfort is a relative conception. I'm comfortable enough on my Fat Bob, no windshield, but luckily with a Corbin Dual Tour seat. This summer I spent four days of over 700 miles of riding, out of 6500 miles in the saddle over two trips, eleven days completely on the road in all. Had all the comfort I needed even for fourteen hour days. I don't want to ride a car. I want my motorcycle experience. I've never had a bike with a windshield, never had a bike factory fitted for touring. And so far I've not felt the need. Let me win the lottery, and I'll have a Road King or a Road Glide (and a Muscle and a 48!) But give me the choice of one bike, and the Fat Bob IS the one. It does all I want a motorcycle to do, and I'm a proud and HAPPY owner.

Last edited by Robert Le Gras; 08-29-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:56 PM
oldguyalso
Cruiser

Originally Posted by roadking2000
Since your such a freak about how well a bike performs in the mud and not on the road, maybe you should reach for your personal nirvana and try a dirt bike. Dyna's are a great bike and you can tour on them just fine, but they do not come close to a RoadKing for touring which the original post suggested.
Sorry I think that my Dyna runs equal to a R-K running solo for Touring. The 6 gallon tank would be nice but that's about it. I did add saddlebags, backrest and a touring fairing, but those come off when I'm home and then my bike feels like a sports car not like a stationwagon

Old 08-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Touring Bikes running Twisties...

Originally Posted by 8541hog
I beg to differ, unless your only definition of touring is a straight road. Not saying they are better, but to say they do not come close is absurd.
My touring always involves twisty roads, so for my touring a RK does not come close. Like I said before, it is a very subjective opinion on what is better than what.
As far as I'm concerned, the biggest difference between the Dyna and the RK when touring is the suspension. Windshield, bags, seat - these things can really be identical, but the suspension (and weight) can smooth out rough roads when you're on them for hours on end.

But to each their own - whatever makes you happy.

To address the comment above, however, regarding touring bikes riding the twisties, here is a full dresser Honda Goldwing going down the Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, TN. Recognizing its a Honda not an Ultra, still in terms of weight and luggage by any standard its a full up touring motorcycle in some of the most challenging twisty roads you're likely to find. In the end I suspect that doing twisties well depends more on the rider than on what bike the rider is on.

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

Old 08-29-2010, 01:47 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Viva la DYNA!

Originally Posted by DMV11982
I was all ready to trade my FXDB in next year for a Road King! I just got back from a 1600 mile trip on my Dyna, and loved it! I want to do some touring and now that I know I can do it, COMFORTABLY, on the Street Bob, there is no way I can get rid of it. No way a Road King can carve the turns like my FXDB! While the Dyna may not be as comfortable as a Road King on a trip, you can make it damn close!

Viva La DYNA!
If I thought I could handle the heavier, taller bike I would have bought the Road King--it has everything I would want, including looks. But I ride solo, so don't need the big tourer, and am especially happy w/ the Dyna's handling. I'm replacing my leather throw-over saddlebags w/ hard bags to improve storage.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:31 PM
bqualls
Tourer
Default I must say!

I'm enjoying reading this thread. For my own part, I have no issues touring on my FXDC. I just made a 900-mile, three-day ride from my home in southeastern Virginia to Beckley, West Virginia and environs. I rode from 8 to 10 hours each day. On the ride out and back, I rode on four-lane Interstate and state highways. I got a Sundowner seat for this trip, and it made a HUGH difference in riding comfort over the stock seat. No one rides with me, so I don't believe I need a "touring" bike to go touring.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:03 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

that was a cool video
my dyna works good for touring,probably not as good as a tour bike put i have been real happy with it.
I just got back from sturgis, second time there on the dyna and the first time my wife went with me, This time the trip was 3400 over nine days

Old 08-29-2010, 08:24 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You can tour on anything. It just comes down to how candy your *** is.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:35 PM
DMV11982
Cruiser

LMFAO Pig..you always have the best responses..BQUALLS,where you at in Chesapeake? I am in Va Beach and Pig is in Hampton Roads too...We should do a hampton roads Dyna run

Old 08-29-2010, 08:38 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Hell yea! That would be great!

Old 08-29-2010, 09:16 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Wait, weren't we just told we need touring bikes to do a real touring run? I wish someone would have told me before I road out to Sturgis and then Yellowstone and back last year on my Street Bob. I always find these things out when it is too late!

If you guys do a ride let me know, even though we will have to keep it short

BTW, I am off next week and planning to ride out 58 to the BRP. Then find somewhere to camp and ride back down 56 from the BRP to 60, then back home. If any of you guys in the area are interested let me know.

Last edited by overhead; 08-29-2010 at 09:25 PM.

Quick Reply: I must say!