Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDF - Need advice on drilling baffles

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Lou E
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FXDF - Need advice on drilling baffles

I searched and read every post I could find about drilling baffles but still have a few questions and wanted to make sure I'm doing this right, or at least as right can be when doing this.

I bought a used exhaust, just in case I screw up which is likely, and set about drilling the rivets and pulling the baffles out. I've never done this before so I wasn't sure what to expect.

One came out nice and easy but the other required a little persuasion with the broom stick, this is what I wound up with.

The fiberglass packing was stuck to the slip on part, so I had to twist it around with a pair of pliers and came out pretty easy, this is that worked out.

Now for the questions, according to what I have read, I'm under the assumption that I need to drill a 3/8" hole on this part, is that correct?

What about the fiberglass, do I put it back? And what about the inside of the slip ons, do I clean that up or will it just get blown out?

I'm also thinking about wrapping the pipes, I've read all about the drawbacks of doing this and understand that it sometimes causes the pipes to crack but I'll still have the stock ones as spare, which brand do you guys recommend?

Last question, from what I've read here, even with wrapping the pipes and drilling the baffle, it won't be necessary for me to get the bike tuned or anything like that, right?

Thank you in advance for any help, this is my first motorcycle and I only know what I read here, your advice is truly appreciated.

Lou

Old 08-25-2010, 04:37 PM
rmfischer
Cruiser

Depending on the sound you are looking for try putting the slip on's on without the baffles and see what you think. I did this while I was waiting for my V&H pipes to come in and I thought it sounded awesome. This way you may not even need to worry about drilling.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:39 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rmfischer
Depending on the sound you are looking for try putting the slip on's on without the baffles and see what you think. I did this while I was waiting for my V&H pipes to come in and I thought it sounded awesome. This way you may not even need to worry about drilling.
That's a horrible idea. He'd be running moreorless a straight pipe and lose quite a bit of bottom (low rpm) end torque. Fuel injection is a bit different from carbed bikes. You kind of need some backpressure for the bike to run decent.

I'd say put the baffles in without the 'glass. They will create some back pressure and mellow the sound a bit.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:09 PM
rmfischer
Cruiser

I have fuel injection on mine and it actually ran better when I removed mine and sounded better on top of it. The bike would stutter when starting from a stop when the bike warmed up before i removed them and never stuttered after.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:17 PM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have done it both ways, I took the wrap out and drilled the hole, actually ran the best with a PCIII and big sucker-then I pulled the baffles out and worked the PCIII till I got the right low end -added gas to some levels and ran the accelerator pump attachment. It sounded LOUD and good and ran good, but to really make it right you need a tuner and tweak it. I ran w/o baffles for 6 months till I got a Thunderheader with no problem, don't know how good that would work without a tuner, I wouldn't try it personally

Old 08-25-2010, 06:49 PM
FATBOB.
Tourer

when i did my i unweld the front baffle, and when you do thAt you have the centre
pipe.i redrill all the small holes twince the size with and extra row of holes.reput the metal
cover with all the small holes. i just spot weld the two end..for the sound great

stock is ------------------1/10
krome works--------------10/10
redrill stock exhaust-------6.5/10 easy...

Old 08-25-2010, 07:00 PM
T-Dub
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The last picture shows the "cap" that is in the pipe. I punched that out after drilling it, and put the baffles back in without the packing. Bike sounded bad-*** and it ran great. If you add a bigger breather, you will need a tuner.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:48 PM
jim425
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd try it without the fiberglass. Keep in mind the baffles will rattle out unless you rivet/attach them. I drilled the baffles on my wifes sportster to make it a bit louder. Unfortunately, those mufflers don't come apart so easily and I had to put some welds in to hold them in place. If you still want some more noise start with a few holes and try it, repeat.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Lou E
Cruiser

Thank you for all the help and advice guys, it is truly appreciated.

I drilled the 3/8" hole last night so today I'm stopping by my Dad's to rivet the whole thing back together, hopefully I'll be able to get it all together tonight when I get home from job #2 and fire it up Friday morning, assuming I can wait...

Thanks again, you guys rock!

Old 08-27-2010, 07:35 AM
Lou E
Cruiser

It worked!!

I took the fiberglass out, did the 3/8" hole and put everything back, the bike sounds so much better!!

I'm not having issues during deceleration either.

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: FXDF - Need advice on drilling baffles