Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Track

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 06:17 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Mud, I checked the gap earlier. it's 10mm. Pretty darn large.

This whole thing just doesn't make sense. How are these bikes assembled at the factory without these issues yet they pop-up attempting to do a basic repair (isolator) and upgrade (true track).

The new isolator isn't narrower than the old one. Dimensions are similar.

I'm done working on it today. Clear my head. I'll attack it again tomorrow. I'm going to enjoy a cold one now.

Appreciate everyone's input. Thanks.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:32 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default isolators 1st

Along the line of what mud was saying, it seems like the isolators should be installed with TT completely disconnected; then TT can be hooked up, knowing that it didn't interfere w/ getting the engine mounts right, first.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:41 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Lo-rider, that was the first thing I did and the motor mount wasn't anywhere near close enough to be able to bolt it up. I followed the service manual and bolted the isolator up to the frame, then lowered the motor into the top of the isolator. There are pics posted in reply #34: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/7243929-post34.html

Old 09-05-2010, 11:13 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Along the line of what mud was saying, it seems like the isolators should be installed with TT completely disconnected; then TT can be hooked up, knowing that it didn't interfere w/ getting the engine mounts right, first.
When installing the TT you have to remove the mount bolts, aligning them first is just redundant. The same thing can be accomplished by simply removing the link from one end.
CB

Old 09-05-2010, 11:30 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There are 2 other stabilizers that neeed to be loosened up, Vic.
The one i wonder about (and on my scoot too ) is the top one, the stock HD mount.
The manual says to leave them all loose, run for a bit, and then tighten them all.
Maybe something to consider?
Or not

Hope it gets easier today for ya.

Last edited by schwangster; 09-06-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:38 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by schwangster
There are 2 other stabilizers that neeed to be loosened up, Vic.
The one i wonder about (and on my scoot too ) is the top one, the stock HD mount.
The manual says to leave them all loose, run for a bit, and then tighten them all.
Maybe something to consider?
Or not
Yeah, that one has been on my mind. The more I think about it, the more should at least give it a try. Could it get any worse than what it is? lol (rhetorical).

I did loosen up the front and rear and run the motor. I didn't loosen the top. I do remember reading the vehicle alignment procedure mentioning loosening all mounts (including the top). I did figure that having the f/r mounts loose, the top would act like a pivot and allow the motor to (theoretically) swing into place. Guess it doesn't work like that.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 09-06-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:59 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

In the attached picture it looks like the front frame bracket is either bent or tapered just above the mounting holes. Is it possible that you have the whole thing flipped around? Have you tried flipping to the other way to see if it lines up better.

Attached Thumbnails True Track-truetrack.jpg  
Old 09-06-2010, 01:39 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Default disconnected

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
When installing the TT you have to remove the mount bolts, aligning them first is just redundant. The same thing can be accomplished by simply removing the link from one end.
CB
That's what I meant by "disconnected"; TT should not be applying any external forces when setting up isolator shims.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:16 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

So, I contacted TT tech support about this. mentioned I changed front isolator. Was asked if I also changed the rear. No. Was told that if the front was bad, the rear was probably bad too and that they usually change isolators in pairs.

That's info I could have used when I visited the dealer recently for a replacement front isolator. You'd hope that the parts person would know that sort of thing. Ok, so I'm trying to give the parts person more credit and smarts than they usually actually have.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:59 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Default shame

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
...Was told that if the front was bad, the rear was probably bad too and that they usually change isolators in...I'm trying to give the parts person more credit and smarts than they usually actually have.
No. You're trying to deflect part of the shame on the parts guy.

Quick Reply: True Track