Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Track

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 01:46 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I assume the rear tire is on the ground and the bike is not on a jack? My only guess would be something managed to get bound up while you had the engine jacked up in the front. I wouldn't go loosen the other mount bolts, just a guess but you might want to try either sitting on the bike and getting the rear suspension to work a little or even putting a little pressure on the rear of the trans with your jack. No clue if that would work or not, but that is all I have.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:27 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't tell from the pics how you are lifting the bike. The bike really needs to be perpendicular to the floor with most of the weight on the wheels and the engine just supported enough to align the frame to mount holes. Are you lifting the bike by the frame and supporting the engine with a separate jack? If so, is your lift clearing the clutch cable and not accidentally lifting the engine slightly?
Shim the gap and don't worry if the heim joint is perpendicular to the center line of the bike, it is just there to limit the engine movement.
CB

Old 09-05-2010, 03:34 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by overhead
I assume the rear tire is on the ground and the bike is not on a jack? My only guess would be something managed to get bound up while you had the engine jacked up in the front. I wouldn't go loosen the other mount bolts, just a guess but you might want to try either sitting on the bike and getting the rear suspension to work a little or even putting a little pressure on the rear of the trans with your jack. No clue if that would work or not, but that is all I have.
Originally Posted by cbz1200n
I can't tell from the pics how you are lifting the bike. The bike really needs to be perpendicular to the floor with most of the weight on the wheels and the engine just supported enough to align the frame to mount holes. Are you lifting the bike by the frame and supporting the engine with a separate jack? If so, is your lift clearing the clutch cable and not accidentally lifting the engine slightly?
Shim the gap and don't worry if the heim joint is perpendicular to the center line of the bike, it is just there to limit the engine movement.
CB
The bike is on the ground, and is supported upright by a wheel chock.

I installed everything to get some pics:

Notice the TT motor mount bracket is how far behind the frame bracket:

The stabilizer is not parallel:

Old 09-05-2010, 04:21 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

I would disconnect the heim joints front and rear, loosen all 4 bolts at both mounts, run engine for few seconds, tighten the front mount to frame bolts and then mount to case bolts, How does it sit now, better? Tighten the rear mount to frame bolts and then mount to case bolts. How it sit now? Reconnect the heim joints. See how it runs/rides. If anything, I would shim the rear mount between the frame and mount if it is pulling the engine back after tightening the rear mount
CB

Last edited by NoLongerAmember; 09-05-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:35 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

cbz...been there, done that. No change.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:59 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

Recently?
From the pic it does not look like you shimmed the front mount so it is pulling the crap out of it. I know it is a pain in the ***, but I would at least loosen all 4 bolts on the rear mount, start it up and see if it relaxes the front and if there is a gap at the rear, shim that. Maybe you inadvertently introduced a problem, sometimes you just have to start over and remove all the variables. I wish I lived near you, I would come over and do it for you, just because I know your tired of working on it. Something just does not look right.
CB

Old 09-05-2010, 05:05 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Yeah, I loosened all the bolts and ran the engine a couple of times.

I appreciate the thought. I don't expect anyone to do anything on my ride. I'll either figure it out or I'll find a competent indy. I do know one that is a TT dealer near charlotte. Downside is that it's about a 90min ride to get there.

I don't know if I need to loosen the top mounts too.....been thinking about it. That'll probably mean removing the seat, to get to the rear tank mount...to lift the tank a bit to get in there to loosen the top motor mounts.

I just don't freakin know. I'm capable enough to tear into the motor and replace cams, etc but I'm not capable enough to install a TT. Make sense? lol

Old 09-05-2010, 05:19 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Yeah, I loosened all the bolts and ran the engine a couple of times.

I appreciate the thought. I don't expect anyone to do anything on my ride. I'll either figure it out or I'll find a competent indy. I do know one that is a TT dealer near charlotte. Downside is that it's about a 90min ride to get there.

I don't know if I need to loosen the top mounts too.....been thinking about it. That'll probably mean removing the seat, to get to the rear tank mount...to lift the tank a bit to get in there to loosen the top motor mounts.

I just don't freakin know. I'm capable enough to tear into the motor and replace cams, etc but I'm not capable enough to install a TT. Make sense? lol
I was not questioning you competency, I can just tell you're tired of messing with it. The top mount is just a link so I don't think that is an issue.
CB

Old 09-05-2010, 05:34 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Just echoing the idea that yes, it's frustrating. I'm questioning myself, not you.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:59 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,023 Likes on 2,102 Posts

unbolt the isolator from the frame

run the engine side bolts through the isolator

whatever space is between isolator and frame is your shim thickness

shim

probably need slightly longer bolts now

deal with truetrack separately

one thing at a time...........

Quick Reply: True Track