Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solution to soften ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:05 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by 32vld
Not an expert on lowering bikes.

But there is no law or rule that you must be flat footed on your bike.
I cant speak for the OP but my self I need to be flat footed at every stop. I'm 5'9" and I have drove bikes that I was on my tipsy toes at stops and almost dropped there bike's when stopping , ...not fun or safe.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:20 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

I had a set of the 11inch 411 progressives. There just is not enough travel in a short shock. Plus running a bare bones compounds the problem. So to answer your question, yes its normal for a harsh ride on a short shock.

I went with the 12 " ricors. It only raised it maybe 1/2 inch and the ride is a lot better than stock.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:40 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I went to 1/2" longer than stock shocks and my 02 wideglide now rides really nice. You could put on the longer shocks and then use lowering blocks to keep the heighth down but still get a good ride. Shorter shocks just won't get the job done correctly.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
My problem....

By far, the worst stock shocks on any bike I have EVER ridden (on my FXDB). It is borderline unsafe to put such poor (rear) suspension on a production vehicle. I feel like I am riding motocross again in the respect that I have to actually stand up when coming upon a big bump in the road to lessen the impact to my *** and back. Criminal... Love the bike, but HD really dropped the ball on the rear shocks by a LONG shot. When I have some extra funds that will be my next mod...

Yep you said it !!!

Old 08-22-2010, 10:11 PM
X90
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
My problem....

By far, the worst stock shocks on any bike I have EVER ridden (on my FXDB). It is borderline unsafe to put such poor (rear) suspension on a production vehicle. I feel like I am riding motocross again in the respect that I have to actually stand up when coming upon a big bump in the road to lessen the impact to my *** and back. Criminal... Love the bike, but HD really dropped the ball on the rear shocks by a LONG shot. When I have some extra funds that will be my next mod...
Sportster shocks have the Dynas beat in the "worst" department. I have to say that the forks on the sportster didn't dip and dive as bad as the dyna.

I plan on getting some shocks when I get a little money aside.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:25 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have same problem there must be a shock out there that keeps the bike lowered, i hat e the height with stock shocks i to put the 11 in 411 and i just take the pounding because i like the look if someone would come up with a shock that is 11 in but has some travel i would pay whatever i have heard horror stories about lowering blocks

Old 08-23-2010, 12:18 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you can get a much improved ride! Simply buy better shocks...For instance some 11" or 11.5" shocks from Ricor or even works performance will give a tremendous increase in ride quality over 11" progressives(complete sh@t shocks in any length from my experience). Ricor and works will build the shock for your weight and riding style to give you the best comfort you can get with the shorter travel shocks... Costs more, but it is worth it big time. Your sig. picture shows you have saddlebags so installing lowering blocks and stock length shocks most likely will interfere with the bags and may not be an option. The lowering blocks work by installing the shocks on a more rearward position on the swingarm. Your bags are probably cut out for the current shock mounting location. Changing the location of the shock on the swingarm will probably cause the bags to not fit around the shocks anymore. Anyways, if you can spare an extra 1/2" of seat height, get 11.5" shocks from Ricor built to your weight and you will love you ride compared to what you have now.

If new quality shocks exceed you budget, you might want to contact progressive to see if the have lighter springs for your current shocks. The progressive springs are very stiff and if you weigh less than 160 lbs you definitely need a lighter spring on their shocks.

Last edited by rounder; 08-23-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:00 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Here we go again? HEHEHE I have a pair of 11.5 prog.440's and regret that purchase tremendously.any pothole i have to stand up and hear "bang" to avoid getting hurt. I'm going back to my stockers myself. I wish I had read a few of rounder's comments before clicking the purchase button!

Old 09-05-2010, 12:41 PM
joyryd68
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, I have heard about lower blocks, is that the old way of doing things? but if it works better I might put the old shocks back on and try the blocks, cuz ya, this is killing the back, like riding a ridgid. I know there is no rule on being flat footed but I feel more comfortable and can back the bike up a little easier without having to ask someone to push me, which I have had to do once or twice already, lol.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried the shocks on the softest setting, or are they already set up that way?

Also, I recommend you get a Reach seat or modify yours.

I have a Wideglide seat on mine that I shaved to make it narrower so my feet could be straighter to the ground, and also added some foam in the backrest to push me forward. Some of the problem could be the width of the seat making you straddle too much if that makes sense.

You can see in this pic how the seat is sort of "dished out". I just sat on the seat and carved out the foam till it felt comfortable. You can have a local upholstery shop help you out on this.

Quick Reply: Solution to soften ride