Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H.D quality ????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: H.D quality ????????????????

The only things my bike has been in the stealer for is the first 1000 mile oil change (because it cost me nothing), to replace the seal on the chrome master cylinder that I put on there (defective in box), and to swap out some V&H pipes that the stealer couldn't adjust (I don't know why as there are plenty of folks with these pipes). My biggest issue is with the stealer...I don't have much confidence in the service department as I have seen them cause more problems that correct them. There has not been any defect with the bike as it came from the factory. My buddy has a 2004 Fat Boy and the same thing...no warranty work required for the bike as it came from the factory (over 10,000 miles). Mine doesn't get the use some of the others have, as it only has about 5500 miles in 19 months, but some of the folks talking about it going in multiple times and such...I would definately be concerned.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Psycho
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I got lucky, or just don't have enough miles yet, because mine has been relatively trouble free. At close to 7000 miles the only thing I've had trouble with is the windshield clamps.

However, one of our contractors has one of the 35th anniversary dynas, and has had nothing but trouble. Admittedly though, many of his troubles have been brought on himself with shoddy modifications, although others, such as starting and charging issues, rest soley on the MOCO.

I have owned a lot of metrics, and the OVERALL quality of the HD product is definately superior. The fit and finish is incomparable. Ya'll think your having trouble now, try chasing a pop or a sputter on a suzuki or a wiring issue on a honda, or try to find parts for them a long way from home. Then you'll be having trouble.

Or get a lemon shaft drive that was never quite right from the factory. Talk about a freakin headache. You'll never get it to stop leaking. Shaft drive on a motorcycle is about the most idiotic thing anybodys ever thought up. Every time the power changes direction you lose about ten percent, plus the complexity and multiple parts of the shaft drive leaves a lot of extra parts to break. The simplicity of the belt drive is superior in every comparison.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: Psycho

Or get a lemon shaft drive that was never quite right from the factory. Talk about a freakin headache. You'll never get it to stop leaking.
Isn't this an interesting turn of events...now it's the metrics that leak [sm=laughat.gif].

Old 09-07-2006, 01:23 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gqchris

I have to agree with a few others on here. I am sorry, but a HD is NOT one of the most dependable bikes. Did I know this buying one? Yes, How many times has my bike been into the shop in 1000 miles, twice. But, I deal with it and take it as being a harley owner.

Would I trade it for anything else? Hell no. Like some have said, its all in the overall experiece.

I have to chuckle at some on here claiming their bikes are FLAWLESS and perfect. Hats off to you, because between me and my circle of friends, we always have problems with ours and take them in stride. We take turns on who is getting dropped off for the week at the shop and who is picking them up!
And let me guess...you like women that give you a hard time too right?

My circle of friends and I have had lots of trouble free miles with our harleys. I guess we're getting them off a different assembly line

Mystique or not..I want to ride more than wrench. The day I'm wrenching more than riding, it's back to the honda dealer.

Todd

Old 09-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

I've had ton's of bikes, Metrics, European, Canadian, and HD. They all break down. It's a bike! I always hear about how great Wings are???? It's the only bike I ever owned that left me at the side of the road, TWICE.

I love my HD, understand it's principles, and can usually spot a problem and fix it before it dies.

My Mercedes needs work all the time, do I complain?, no. Same with the Dodge and my Yamaha, and also the Skidoo. They are vehicles, and will break down and require work.

See ya, I'm going for a quick lunch hour ride.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:59 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

that is good,however,not all of us here are super wrenches. quality is what keeps a company going these days.. still love my bob though. not for sale or trade .

ORIGINAL: Scout

I've had ton's of bikes, Metrics, European, Canadian, and HD. They all break down. It's a bike! I always hear about how great Wings are???? It's the only bike I ever owned that left me at the side of the road, TWICE.

I love my HD, understand it's principles, and can usually spot a problem and fix it before it dies.

My Mercedes needs work all the time, do I complain?, no. Same with the Dodge and my Yamaha, and also the Skidoo. They are vehicles, and will break down and require work.

See ya, I'm going for a quick lunch hour ride.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:13 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

In my opinion/life owning a harley is not owning just a motorcycle, it is a way of life.

mix that with better quality,and got got a better product. correct ?

Old 09-07-2006, 09:46 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my HD, and think I will never have anything else
Not me I'm already trying figure out how I can get hold of a Bonneville, a VMAX,Victory Hammer and a Ducatti GT 1000.And every time my Bob backfires stutters or coughs I'm reminded of how many other bikes I could have had for what I've got into my bob.Then again I also like Sportsters,Eglides and Buells, go figure.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:51 PM
hep0950
Tourer

Harleys are like everything else, you can get good ones and bad ones. They check them out at the factory, don't know if they check every one or it's a spot check, but when they find a problem, they go over the whole bike again. My sister was telling me this after her tour of the KC plant.

Ther may be better bikes, but it's more than just the bikes. They are fun to chrome up and ride and the exhaust is original, but it's also enjoying them with others that feel the same way about them that sets them apart.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:29 AM
Biggol
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: SPECIAL ED

I love my HD, and think I will never have anything else
Not me I'm already trying figure out how I can get hold of a Bonneville, a VMAX,Victory Hammer and a Ducatti GT 1000.And every time my Bob backfires stutters or coughs I'm reminded of how many other bikes I could have had for what I've got into my bob.Then again I also like Sportsters,Eglides and Buells, go figure.
I know a guy who PRIDES himself on those backfires, stutters and coughs. He does it intentionally.

I don't care for it myself but there are ways around it - at least in my situation. The thing is - if I had bought a different bike (and I looked around at the Honda VTX series, the new Yammys, looked for an 05 SZ Marauder and would have settled for a Valkyrie in good condition) I would have always wondered why I didn't get a Harley. I bought into the package. I proudly bought the Harley. For better, or for worse. Fixing it (if I'm capable and should the need arise) is like having to reshoe a horse, or herding lost heffers I suppose. All "cowboys" have to pay a price for what they love.

Quick Reply: H.D quality ????????????????