Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H.D quality ????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Phil K
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: H.D quality ????????????????

Funny thing...i owned a 79 Sporty...AMF.....and in 49,000 mile never had one problem and no leaks....other than allowing an extra minute to warm up on a cold morning, i've had no issues with my 06 Bob. Maybe i'm just lucky? I've had more problems with cars than bikes......

Old 09-06-2006, 12:09 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Looked at a new CVO RK and CVO Ultra. Disappointed in the HP and Torq figures. I'll keep my 03 Classic with 103 and 6 spd. Only prob, I've had was a stator at 29,000 miles. Besides I own it.

Bout like anything else, drove a 93 chevy P'Up 200,000 miles not probs. Traded to 2000 and had speedo and A/C prob before 70,000, traded for 2004 and have speedo and A/C probs before 32,000.

I'll still ride my HD because I know the other bikes have as many or more probs from listening to the others at work. I just may keep my bike longer.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

06, 7500 miles, ride it REAL hard, ride 2 up a bunch also.
Motor mods, thats extra were and tear on it, up and down the interstate faster than i should be, riding like a 16 year old at times. Overall- A+. The only thing i wore out was a back tire.
I did have a couple of minor issues, rattle by the triple tree, carboned up pressure rls valve, horn is intermitant. Really though, to me this is nothing. The quality of this, my first Harley, is as good as i would hope it to be. This better not jinx me!!
Now my 06 Diesel F-250- 14000 miles blown head gasket, 20,000 miles blown turbo.
Now we're talking about some quality issues.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:57 PM
3dynaP
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I currently have a 2003 FXDP. I'm formerly from the metric crowd, like a lot of folks here. Since 2001 I've had two Kawasaki Vulcans, a 750 and a 1500fi. Put 14000 miles on the 750, and 27000 miles on the 1500fi. Only one issue, a slight oil leak on a bolt on the engine of the 1500fi, fixed under warranty. Both were very reliable, and the 1500fi had excellent fit and finish, and only the side covers were plastic parts.
I agree that a lot of folks come on here looking for help with problems. The vast majority don't come on here at all.
I have recently had a problem with the handlebar wiring. Bike tipped over, and while righting it, the wires on the right side got pinched. My opinion, very poor design, having to squeeze the switch wiring with the handlebar clamps. Anyway, wire pinched, bike started running rough, even dies while on the highway. First changed out the kill switch thinking that was the issue since it no longer worked. Then I noticed the pinched wire, got it corrected, bike running well again.
My bottom line is this:
1. Harley's do hold their value better than metrics, not as well as in the past, but still better. I think the days of buying a Harley and making money later are gone for good.
2. Go to a Harley dealer and 9 times out of 10 they have the repair part you need in stock. They also have a very good selection of customizing parts in stock. The metric dealers ALWAYS had to order any part I needed, period, even exhaust gaskets! Granted I didn't need much, but they still had to order it. Very frustrating.
3. There are more aftermarket businesses that cater to the Harley market than to the metric market. More are going towards the metrics now than before though.
4. Harley dealership network is second to none. And add in the indy's and there is a lot of help out there.
5. Wrenching on the Harley seems to be easier than on the metric. The Harley's seem to be pretty straight forward, whereas the metrics seemed to be overly crowded and somewhat confusing.
6. This is subjective, but I think the Dyna handles better than any bike I've ever owned.
7. In my experience, once folks start changing the engine they tend to have more problems than those leaving them stock. (both Harley and Metric)

I think Harley's are now on par with the metrics as far as reliability goes. There are usually new model glitches with most everything.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:11 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be interested in seeing a J.D. Powers-type of survey where they document the number of actual individual repair "issues" against the number of actual units sold. Given the large number of Harleys sold in the US, I'm willing to bet that the the ratio of repairs to units sold is in-line with other manufacturers. At least Harley has a strong dealer network and parts availability.

As I've mentioned in other threads, I've had a number of Jap and German bikes that have had their share of issues - including a BMW that with less than 600 miles on it, left me stranded by the side of the road.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a used Harley in the first week of July this year. 02 FXDWG

It's my first bike - period. I don't have anything to compare it to. I do however expect the best.
It is after all a Harley. It does have the Stage 1 performance upgrade. Because I didn't know what to expect (thinking it would run like new) I was critical of a few issues. It's just tempermental and the mods changed how it runs a bit.:

Worse case scenerio - I get it rejetted.
1 - I thought it was running too rough in the beginning from possibly being to rich. Fix: I had to let it warm up a bit more (even though I'm in Florida..)
2 - It pops and backfires periodically and wants to stall. Fix: Needs quiet baffles for backpressure on decel pops (and for a bass-ier tone, backfires and stall problem solved by running half choke after a 3rd of a mile or 1 full mile, no choke after about 3-4 miles.
3 - front brakes rub/squeal - apparently normal, but am going to take it in for adjustments..
4 - annoying rattle I can only hear only when theres a car behind me at a stoplight - fix: tighten heat shields and put all 4 screws in license plate.
5 - rear view mirrors change position on their own after time. Fix: Realize its a shaking Dyna. That's what they do best. Learn to live with it and love it. Mirrors can be readjusted.

I guess what I'm getting at with minimal experience is - the Harley has the same problems that any other bike that went through a few mods would have to a noobie.
I haven't had any major issues so far and don't forsee them happening. I can't imagine any other bike would be much different.

My Chevy Silverado on the other hand - I was less than 8k miles into it when the transmission went. Enjoy the ride!!

Old 09-06-2006, 03:55 PM
bobg1253
Road Captain

Hopefully I won't jinx myself by posting here, but I have not had one single problem with my 04 FXDI. Everything has been flawless from the day I picked it up. I have had it 2 years and 2 months and have 9800 miles. It is not a daily rider, but I do ride often. Never been to the dealer for a warranty repair, only routine service. Now that I am out of warranty, I will do most of my own service work when able. Except for a few cosmetic add on's, it is still stock too. I was planning on doing the stage 1 soon since the warranty expired, but now after reading all this, maybe I should just leave it alone!

Old 09-06-2006, 06:18 PM
fireball
Intermediate

Heres the deal craigc,Iwould be out riding if my bike was not in the shop. I did'nt spend my hard earned money on something to fall apart on me. The facts are the facts and the internet is a great resource for sharing info regardless of your opinion of a bitch or a complaint......I really like my 06FXD35 and plan on riding till I can't ride no more. Have a great Day and stay safe...I would be riding today, but guess what??????????? My bike is in the shop

Fireball

Old 09-06-2006, 07:33 PM
rockstar_josh
Cruiser

Yeah, I rode a Yamaha Seca II before I got my Sportie, and it was reliable, with rattles and plastic everything and a whiny motor and all kinds of shakes at high speed. Got an 06 XL, and it felt solid as a rock compared to any other bike I've ridden. Now I have a Dyna, and it's light-years beyond my buddy's Jap cruisers, or Victory's, or whatever. For me, the Jap bikes may be light and fast, but my harley will be the same at 50,000 miles as it was at 5 miles. If things go wrong, whatever... it's a new bike and Harley will fix it. I've ridden a lot of different bikes, some of them very nice bikes in certain areas, but I didn't like any of them as much as a Harley. Not even close. That's just my experience.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:06 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

i have had a sheetload of metric bikes,i will never go back to a metic,and yea,they have plenty of problems,ask anyone who owns a vulcan 750,or etc. try to find all the aftermarket parts like we can get,they are not there for metrics,if you do get parts for a metric,they will not fit,or they will not wirk,i been down that raod too many times.
i say again,love the st.bob,and would not trade it ! no motivation at all to trade !!!!!

ORIGINAL: rockstar_josh

Yeah, I rode a Yamaha Seca II before I got my Sportie, and it was reliable, with rattles and plastic everything and a whiny motor and all kinds of shakes at high speed. Got an 06 XL, and it felt solid as a rock compared to any other bike I've ridden. Now I have a Dyna, and it's light-years beyond my buddy's Jap cruisers, or Victory's, or whatever. For me, the Jap bikes may be light and fast, but my harley will be the same at 50,000 miles as it was at 5 miles. If things go wrong, whatever... it's a new bike and Harley will fix it. I've ridden a lot of different bikes, some of them very nice bikes in certain areas, but I didn't like any of them as much as a Harley. Not even close. That's just my experience.

Quick Reply: H.D quality ????????????????