Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ricor Suspension Complete

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 12:21 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kenfm2000
I went out this morning to check this out. I jacked up the bike, removed one shock, loosened the preload on the one still remaining on the bike so I knew i co0uld easily bottom out the shock. Using Muds procedure I marked where the top of the swingarm travel is and the bottom of the swingarm travel. It is just a hair shy of 4-1/2" travel measured about 3/4" behind the brake caliper. I made another mark at 1-1/8" which would be roughly 25% of the 4-1/2" and reinstalled the shock and readjusted the shocks to where I had them at approximately 25 turns. I checked and re-measured. At that point I had just about 1-1/4" sag so it was pretty close. I adjusted it another approximately 1-1/2 turns and am pretty close to 25% swingarm travel. So for my weight and 13" shocks I need about 26-27 turns for the 25%.

The eye to eye travel was pretty close but it looks like it may better to use muds method to be more precise since the marks leave less room for error.
yeah I figured it would be off a little if you are looking to get a precise measurement. Like I was saying though, a precise measurement is not set in stone so either way is a good start and one can adjust 1/2 turn increments to fine tune for ride preference and get it precisely dialed in to what you want.
The proper way to adjust is Mud's posted method, and as such you do need to know how much the axle travels to set your % up this way correctly. I think Brian should get the actual suspension travel for his different length shocks and list those measurements for end users to reference to adjust their shock correctly. Not sure why he is giving out shock travel instead of suspension travel. For me, the shocks are turned about 3 turns or so to achieve my desired sag and ride( I have 12" shocks set to the sport tune).

Last edited by rounder; 08-22-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:05 PM
suntadz
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seems to be all sorts of methods to do this and now it has confused me a great deal. I ended up with about 7/8" shock travel sag and a little over 1" swing arm travel sag. Seems to be feeling pretty good to me but I do notice the front needs work now. Got the intimantors on the bench just have to install them. Only have about 100mi on this setup so far so I going to go ride right now and check it out again.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:37 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by suntadz
seems to be all sorts of methods to do this and now it has confused me a great deal. I ended up with about 7/8" shock travel sag and a little over 1" swing arm travel sag. Seems to be feeling pretty good to me but I do notice the front needs work now. Got the intimantors on the bench just have to install them. Only have about 100mi on this setup so far so I going to go ride right now and check it out again.
Don't get confused... adjust the shock so they are comfortable and don't bottom out except on the hardest bumps you encounter and your pretty much set. You don't need to adjust to any exact measurement as preference is much more important than some dogmatic 'you must adjust to 25% or 33% sag rule'... There are no set rules for adjustment use your butt-o-meter...

The one thing you should know, if you have to adjust more than 33% or less than 25% sag, the springs or internals are probably wrong for your weight and riding style. Anywhere between 25% to 33% should give you the perfect ride you are looking for with these shocks.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:18 PM
suntadz
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After a nice ride of adjusting over all sorts of terrain from freeway, high speed country road, twisty canyon, and around town type conditions I think I got a descent all around setting. Started off I was a bit too stiff. Couple turns here and there and was good until I got to the twisties. Few more adjustments and I think I have it. Got home and found my final road tested setting ended up with 1" shock sag and 1-1/2" swing arm sag. I love the way it handles compared to the stock setup. The rear feels solid but the front floats around. I guess I didnt notice how bad they were when they both floated around. I think it must have added 10hp to my ride for now I can go alot faster throught the twisties without scraping my way through every right turn. That is the reason for the 13" shocks. Thanks for all the help on getting this sorted out.