Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ricor Suspension Complete

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 08:00 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cactusred
the passenger pegs are the hd airfoils I believe is what they called em, tried to keep a matched theme with those upfront. I haven't had any complaints of vibes in the back, with em.
Niether had I until I put my feet back there one day - pretty surprised. I asked and the answer was "it only bothers me for a half hour till my feet go numb".............

Old 08-21-2010, 08:46 PM
suntadz
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like we have been doing the same thing. Last night I put on my new set of 13" Ricor's on my FXDWG and had the same usual question of 25% of what? My calls to Brian went to voicemail so I searched on here and found pretty much all the answers. I did Muds technique of unloading the rear wheel making the reference mark then put on the ground with me in the seat and remeasure. I finally got it to 1.25" of sag but I had to crank down on the preload something like 25 turns. Seems a bit much but after I did so it felt alot better. Rode it and it does smooth out the road alot more than the stock but what mine look like compared to others bothers me a bit. Any thoughts on how much I had to crank em down? here are the pics......

Attached Thumbnails Ricor Suspension Complete-ricor-1.jpg   Ricor Suspension Complete-ricor-2.jpg  
Old 08-21-2010, 09:40 PM
kenfm2000
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by suntadz
Looks like we have been doing the same thing. Last night I put on my new set of 13" Ricor's on my FXDWG and had the same usual question of 25% of what? My calls to Brian went to voicemail so I searched on here and found pretty much all the answers. I did Muds technique of unloading the rear wheel making the reference mark then put on the ground with me in the seat and remeasure. I finally got it to 1.25" of sag but I had to crank down on the preload something like 25 turns. Seems a bit much but after I did so it felt alot better. Rode it and it does smooth out the road alot more than the stock but what mine look like compared to others bothers me a bit. Any thoughts on how much I had to crank em down? here are the pics......
That's about the same as mine now that I have the 13" shocks in and installed. I think i had read somewhere the springs may be the same length so around 1" more threads may be showing more than the 12" shocks that some of the others seem to be using.

The total shock travel on the 13" Ricors is 3". Mine takes up about 1/4" just resting on the sidestand. So I have about 2.75" of travel with the shocks mounted with no weight on the bike. is used the 25% based on this so if you were measuring eye to eye I should have about 11/16" sag or about 12 and 1/16" shock eye to eye measurement with my weight on the bike. The close to 25 turns has that about right for me.

See Muds pics, his are 13.5" and appear to have maybe a little more threads showing.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:39 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

Yea that's why I couldn't really use MUD's example because although the principle is the same, I was unclear on the shock travel, which I learned on the 12inch shock is two inches, that differs on the 13inch shock, I felt like that was the big missing ingredient, 25% of shock travel, okay, ughhhhh. LOL.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:40 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

Oh yea, those do look sharp on your wide glide too, nice..

Old 08-22-2010, 10:21 AM
suntadz
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thnaks for the input. After looking at Mud's pics again I see that he has about the same amount of threads showing so I guess its all good. Overall I measured after getting it to where I like it and I have 1-3/4" of threads showing. Giving me about 1" of sag.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:32 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

those shocks look great!!! Also remember that the 25% is really just a recommendation and as such you can run them softer if you want. I run mine at about 30% preload myself. Most shock mfgrs. suggest 33% of travel for normal street riding. Either way set the shock up so that they bottom on the worst of bumps you experience and you will be good to go This is insuring you are using all your travel for the best ride over all conditions. Also I believe Brian is giving us the shock travel and not the swingarm(axle) travel. The axle travels more than the swingarm, so, of your doing 25% measured from the axle the settings will be off. I think kenmf2000 has a good idea on measuring eye to eye if you have to work off the eye to eye travel Brian is giving us.

Last edited by rounder; 08-22-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:45 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cactusred
Well I just finished up a couple days ago putting on my new Ricor rear shocks, and the preload adjustmen yesterday. The shock removal, and install was pretty self explanatory, however the preload adjustment was a little more confusing at least to me. The shocks come from Ricor with two tags showing to set shock travel to 25% for preload, I had no friggin clue on that process. What is shock travel on this shock? Well I read and read and read more and came across MUD's post which did get me in the right direction. I jacked up the bike, let the tires hang, made my measurement of the unloaded shock travel. Then with my bike back down on the ground, and butt planted on seat took my next measurement, and came up with 1 1/4 inches differences, rider sag, so what do I do, 25% of that number, hell I had no idea. Soooo, I called up Ricor, talked with Brian and he shed the remaining light on it for me, and I ended up with 9 turns we'll see, if I need to fine tune, then I can certainly do that too.
Here is some pics of em,

Installed, on the dyna street bob, man that anodized black is the ticket for that denim black, sweet.
This last pic also highlights my new mustang, vintage, solo seat. I just put my first ride in tonight to work, and I am pleased with not only the seat but the shocks, I need to spend a few weeks with different riding to see if I need to fine tune some adjustments but I am real pleased with that.
Those shocks and that hardware are beautiful!

Old 08-22-2010, 11:07 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On longer shocks I would set sag at 33% of total travel. Shorter shocks 25%. I have always had an issue with the longer performance shocks using a way too short of a spring, thus exposing entirely too much shock body when setup properly. The Ricors look nice in 12 inch but get funky when the shock is any longer because of the same length spring on a longer body. Ohlins does this as well.

I believe the Ricors are the best looking 12 inchers out there.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:03 PM
kenfm2000
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rounder
those shocks look great!!! Also remember that the 25% is really just a recommendation and as such you can run them softer if you want. I run mine at about 30% preload myself. Most shock mfgrs. suggest 33% of travel for normal street riding. Either way set the shock up so that they bottom on the worst of bumps you experience and you will be good to go This is insuring you are using all your travel for the best ride over all conditions. Also I believe Brian is giving us the shock travel and not the swingarm(axle) travel. The axle travels more than the swingarm, so, of your doing 25% measured from the axle the settings will be off. I think kenmf2000 has a good idea on measuring eye to eye if you have to work off the eye to eye travel Brian is giving us.
I went out this morning to check this out. I jacked up the bike, removed one shock, loosened the preload on the one still remaining on the bike so I knew i co0uld easily bottom out the shock. Using Muds procedure I marked where the top of the swingarm travel is and the bottom of the swingarm travel. It is just a hair shy of 4-1/2" travel measured about 3/4" behind the brake caliper. I made another mark at 1-1/8" which would be roughly 25% of the 4-1/2" and reinstalled the shock and readjusted the shocks to where I had them at approximately 25 turns. I checked and re-measured. At that point I had just about 1-1/4" sag so it was pretty close. I adjusted it another approximately 1-1/2 turns and am pretty close to 25% swingarm travel. So for my weight and 13" shocks I need about 26-27 turns for the 25%.

The eye to eye travel was pretty close but it looks like it may better to use muds method to be more precise since the marks leave less room for error.

Last edited by kenfm2000; 08-22-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Ricor Suspension Complete