Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake caliper

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:39 AM
cmonster
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake caliper

had an indy fix a flat on the rear a month or so ago and havent been able to ride much since so other day i get on the road for a little bit and think i hear a sound coming from rear wheel.pulled over to check it and dont see anything visible aka nothing fallin off,but what i did notice is rear rotor is pretty warm to touch and i can move caliper up and down,should there be any movement there?

Old 08-21-2010, 01:29 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well for one the caliper is a slider, but should be bolted solid (no up and down movement), check in the 2010 Dyna book (service manual), page 2-47, fig 2-61.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:32 AM
spaceblue
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, a little movement in the brake caliper is normal. When checking what is moving make sure the slider bolts are tight. The mount section of the caliper, which is the cast section that surrounds the pads, should be rock solid.
You didn't say how much braking you had been doing just prior to your check. Some heat is a byproduct of braking but not excessively so unless you've been braking very hard. You could check the temp difference between the front and rear rotors unless you tend to be a rear only brake user. Does the bike push hard when it's not running and you move it? Is the rear brake dragging? If you could lift the rear wheel off the ground you could check that. Check for a little free play in the brake pedal and make sure it is not sticking on. Also is the rear wheel in alignment? That might lead to brake drag and excessive heat.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:24 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

When you say up and down, what exactly is moving up and down? How much?

Old 08-21-2010, 10:37 AM
cmonster
Tourer

im talkin 1/4 in up down movement.i had done very little braking and usally try to use brakes equally- front rotor and caliper were cool to touch.im thinking he might have left bushing out of upper bolt, prob took caliper off hard way instead of just sliding bracket and caliper off as a unit, jacked it up a little and spun wheel it doesnt seem to be dragging ?just wondered if ther was supposed to be any up down play between caliper and bracket [ps noticed he left muffler bracket bolts loose so anything is possible]i dont normally let any one else wrench on my bike but i hurt my back which is why i havent been riding much and didnt notice it til now.

Last edited by cmonster; 08-21-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:41 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Anything that moves a 1/4" is fouled up.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:47 AM
cmonster
Tourer

thats what im thinkin,anybody got a part no. for the bushings on the caliper dont think ill mess with this cat[indy]again

Old 08-21-2010, 02:55 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonster
thats what im thinkin,anybody got a part no. for the bushings on the caliper dont think ill mess with this cat[indy]again
My parts book is due in on Tuesday, until then I am at a loss.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:11 PM
cmonster
Tourer

thanks,i called the shop that did the work and they told me they didnt know what i was talking about!

Old 08-22-2010, 08:03 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, they probably don't know what you are talking about but, if you take the bike to them they can address what they did wrong.

He probably had to take the exhaust off to get the axle out from the right side and failed to properly tighten the exhaust back up.

As to the caliper movement, I can think of two areas that could allow that:
1. There is a rubber pin on the lower portion of the caliper that prevents chatter of the caliper on the swingarm. You can see it on the lower side of the swingarm between the swingarm and the lower portion of the caliper. If it isn't there you should be able to see a half-round spot in the middle of the casting where it should be.
2. If the right side spacer was left out when installing the axle there could be some movement in the caliper but I would also expect some side-to-side movement of the wheel.

Quick Reply: brake caliper