Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot weather stop and go....

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:34 PM
YellerWideGlide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Hot weather stop and go....

So I am sitting in the parking lot called I-275 coming out of Tampa today in 96 degrees and 60 percent humidity (you West Coast guys think it is hot?). Got to thinking about the best way to ride in that situation when you can smell the heat coming off of your engine. When the traffic starts moving for a bit, should you let the revs build some to slosh some oil around or keep it low (not lugging of course).

Also, when the geek in the mini-van is glaring at me because he doesn't like the sound of my awesome pipes by his window (or maybe he is just glaring because his wife has his nuts locked in her dresser drawer and he wishes he had a bike with loud pipes) does it add to the heat too bad for me to keep blipping the throttle for his amusement?

Old 08-20-2010, 06:01 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Get of the highway asap and ride the backroads?

Ride the shoulder, at your own risk but at least you're moving air over that air-cooled engine.

When I lived near the city and found myself stuck in traffic, I always found a lil happy hour going on and had a few while traffic dissipated.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:02 PM
AnesMerc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here, take the back roads and get home 15 min later with less stress.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:09 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't even like driving through this small @ss town i pass through every day. Two lanes avg speed 30mph or less. Fortunately i live in the country and i can avoid this route all together. When i do have to go through town cruising at 35 mph in 2nd gear raps the motor a bit about 3800 rpm but it likes it. Sportsters don't do putt putt well.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:23 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
When I lived near the city and found myself stuck in traffic, I always found a lil happy hour going on and had a few while traffic dissipated.
That's the best advice you're going to get -- thread closed!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:29 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your engine will get more cooling air if you moved the forkbag.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:41 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,838 Likes on 2,548 Posts

I'd plan some alternate routes and consider using a synthetic oil. It will take the heat much better than fossil oil.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:58 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I would lay off blipping the throttle if you are sitting for a while, you really don't need to add more heat. It's not like you have a fan attached to the motor.
Like others have said, find a way to get the air moving.
If it gets to the cylinder shut down, pull over and let her sit for a while.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Faster the revs the higher the heat. Only thing gonna cool it down is air flow which comes with ground speed, not RPM. Blipping the throttle just makes it worse.

As for intentionally annoying a cager and making them even more hostile to bikers, I'll reserve comment.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:24 PM
piste
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taddeoeg
Faster the revs the higher the heat. Only thing gonna cool it down is air flow which comes with ground speed, not RPM. Blipping the throttle just makes it worse.

As for intentionally annoying a cager and making them even more hostile to bikers, I'll reserve comment.
Exactly...pretty basic stuff isn't it....I think even the geek in the minivan knows this!! Maybe he's glaring at the OP to make him rev more...so his bike overheats....

Quick Reply: Hot weather stop and go....