Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 02 Lowrider sputters when I twist the throttle.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:35 PM
bjhamlyn
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 02 Lowrider sputters when I twist the throttle.

I have a 2002 Lowrider that was sitting in my garage for the last year while I was in Iraq. I changed the plugs, air filter and oil and oil filter already. I also had to buy a new battery because someone unplugged my trickle charger and the battery died.
Anyway, after I did all that I started the bike up, and it started great. It idles great, but when I twist the throttle it sputters like crazy and wants to die.
I plan on draining the fuel tonight to see if that solves the problem, but I want to see if anyone has any other Ideas on what could be wrong as well.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:53 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope you didn't last put in ethanol, and let it sit. If you did, you could be in for some real problems. Sounds like you might need a good carb cleaning. Some crap could have gotten into the lines or somethings stuck open.
We have a Honda 4 stroke 50 hp boat motor and somehow, had something similar to your problem. We'd open her up and she'd die. Had the marine dealer work for a month on it. Still has a hesitation, but at least it will run. He said it was the fuel left in the lines over winter...sometimes it settles into the bottom of the tank, creates a varnish coating then flake off. If even a little piece gets into the lines...... well, you know.
Thanks for your service by the way. Glad you're back safe and sound.
Try putting premium gas and see what happens. You may have to take it into a mechanic to get her running right. We were told that E85 gas will start to separate if it sits for longer than 6 weeks, and can really do some damage.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:06 PM
bjhamlyn
6th Gear

Thanks for the reply. it turns out that the fuel went bad. i didn't put anything in the tank before I left ( I know i should have). Anyway, now I am working on cleaning the tank out. I removed the petcock valve and drained it, but it seems like there should be a better way. I plan on flushing a little bit of new fuel through the tank and draining it then putting it all back together.
Thanks again for the reply.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:57 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,521 Posts

You're on the right track with flushing the gas tank. Get some Techron or Seafoam carb cleaner/fuel additive and mix it in the fresh fuel in the proper ratio. Pull the float bowl off the bottom of the carb and see how much crud is in the bottom, clean and reinstall. Button everything up start the bike and let it idle for a few to get the treated gas thru the carb. Some times when my 02 gets woke up in the spring, it has to be coaxed back into life.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:04 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Damn, slipped right by. Welcome home and thanks for your service.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:35 PM
bjhamlyn
6th Gear

So I flushed the tank and pulled the float bowl off of the carb. I added the carb cleaner to the fuel and let it idle for a bit. It starts very easily, and idles great (with the choke out). If I let the choke in (even after I let it warm up thouroughly) it will die. Now I can give it a quick twist of the throttle with out it bogging, but if I twist it normally or slowly it will sputter out. Also, when I give it a quick twist of the throttle and hold it it sounds a little rough.
Does any one have any more Ideas? If not I guess I will end up pulling all of the fuel lines.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:21 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I going to say you need the rebuild the carburetor. It sounds like the jets are clogged. If you're familiar with the CV carb just take it apart and put it back together but, if you've never done it to that type of carb I would suggest taking it to a shop and letting them do it. There are a couple of tiny o-rings, a teeney-tiny washer and, a couple of springs that can vanish if you don't know when you are about to release them....not to mention how many people ruin a CV carb by twisting the idle air screw too tight and breaking the point off of it (non-replaceable part).....
At my shop it costs $60 to rebuild a carb if it is on the bike or you bring just the carb in.
The best case is to bring the whole bike in so when it's rebuilt the tech can make sure everything was put together right and adjust everything for you.

Good luck and thanks for your service.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:42 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Sniper77. This sounds like it's going to involve some real work and it's best to leave it to the pros. Old Gas that sits in lines and tanks and carbs can really be a **TCH to resolve. You may end up needing a new carb, filters and lines. Your other option is to try riding it and and run a few tanks of gas through it if possible, and each time adding carb cleaner to it. Even the tinyest inpediment in the jets can disrupt the fuel spray and thus alter the atomization of the fuel to air ratio.

Please let us know what happens........and good luck.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:52 PM
bjhamlyn
6th Gear

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to avoid that, but if I don't get it running right soon that is what I will end up doing.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:35 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Have you checked for a vacuum leak, vacuum hose from petcock to carb. Pull the top cover of the carb and check the rubber diaphragm on the piston slide for tears. Sounds like the overhaul is in the future. Did you gap your plugs or check the gap?

Quick Reply: My 02 Lowrider sputters when I twist the throttle.