Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need A Switched Power Lead

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Need A Switched Power Lead

Need to wire in a power cord for my new Garmin 1350T GPS unit. It will be mounted on the handlebars so I'd prefer a power wire up front somewhere. Has anyone found a readily accessible lead up front that I can tap into or would it be easier to find one back at the battery? Bike is a 2009 Dyna Low Rider.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:08 PM
LCisnero
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a four wire deutsch plug under the seat. It is an accessory connector and should be the only four wire deutsch plug under the seat. The plug has a rubber connector cover and should not be hard to locate. Wire 1 = accessory; wire 2 = accessory; wire 3 = stop lights; wire 4 = ground. wires 1 & 2 are tied together into the customer accessory fuse. wire 3 is tied to the back light stoplight fuse and not to the costomer accessory fuse, although it is accessible in the same connector. hope this helps. the wires are also color coded -- color blind so can't help you there. If you decide to connect there, for one "keyed" accessory you only have to use either wire 1 or 2 and wire 4 for the ground. wire numbers are on the connector, albeit, very, very small and hard to see.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member

Thanks LC. I shall look under the seat.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:51 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default option

LC's connector is possibly a much better way to go, but I'll mention what I did to get my GPS hooked up.

Since I wanted a hookup for a battery tender anyway, I connected that directly to the battery (it comes w/ an in-line fuse). Plugged into that is a cigarette-lighter-style receptacle which my GPS plugs into. Between trips I just unplug it, as it is not switched. Was able to run the wires under the tank, tucked up and out of the way, by snaking a messenger-line in first.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:52 PM
LCisnero
Novice

Foodog--checked my service manual. CORRECTION: Wire 1, orange/red stripe = customer accessory; wire 2, red/yellow stripe = stop light; wire 3, orange/red stripe = customer accessory (tied to wire 1); wire 4, black = ground. It is a good idea to use this connector and avoid adding extra fuses at other locations. the customer accesssory fuse is the number 9 fuse in the electrical caddy. By using this connector, you avoid cutting and splicing your harness wires. hope this helps.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:55 PM
LCisnero
Novice

foodog--just noticed lo-rider's post. his method is also good. I use his setup to power a phone charger.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member

Thanks LC and LoRider. You saved me a long time thumbing through my service manual. Appreciate the info and the update.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member

Need a bit more info. Finally got around to pulling the seat off and looking at the wires. I found what I presume is the Deutsch plug (it has a rubber plug covering the opening and there are 4 tiny pins down inside). Is there a female plug available for this connector that you can wire into or do you just cut off the plug and connect directly to the wires? All I have been able to find in my service manual is the location of the Deutsch plug. Don't want to wind up screwing something up by cutting wires ***** nilly.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:02 AM
plumbertom
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DT 04-4P Housing. Check your local electronics store.
They run about $5.
Look into a boot for it also about an extra buck. Helps keep water out.

The following users liked this post:
Ronald Odett (01-16-2020)
Old 08-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by plumbertom
DT 04-4P Housing. Check your local electronics store.
They run about $5.
Look into a boot for it also about an extra buck. Helps keep water out.
Merci !! Not sure about our local electronics store though. Went into Radio Shack the other day and asked for some dielectric grease. Guy stared at me for a minute and said "I don't know what that is".

Quick Reply: Need A Switched Power Lead