Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Wide Glide-Changeover to Bobtail Fender

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:37 PM
mac b
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna Wide Glide-Changeover to Bobtail Fender

Scored a 09 Fat Bob Fender on ebay. Want to convert 2011 Glide rear fender into a Bobtail with the tail light in the middle. Looks to me like I will need Fat Bob strut covers, tail-stop wiring harness, and a license plate/tail light bracket. Will the Fat Bob strut covers eliminate the need for hole filling on the Fat Bob fender? It will be a lot less trouble just to paint the fender if I do not have to weld up holes to make it look right. Any suggestions? Looks pretty straightforward if I have all the parts. Attached is a picture of the tail light I intend to use. Had one on my Bonneville in the 60's.

Attached Thumbnails Dyna Wide Glide-Changeover to Bobtail Fender-cat-head-tail-light..jpg  

Last edited by mac b; 08-19-2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 08-19-2010, 02:31 PM
WIDERGLIDER
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to see step-by-step pics of this process as I am interested in doing this as well...thanks for starting the thread!

Old 08-19-2010, 02:39 PM
rockymtnhigh
Cruiser

Hey Mac,

What color is your Wide Glide? I've got a black (not denim) 09 Fatbob and I can't stand the bobtail fender! Maybe you and I can work out a deal on some part swapping? I'd be willing to buy your Wide Glide fender. You'll need need my Fat Bob strut covers and I'll need yours. What do you think?

Old 08-19-2010, 04:09 PM
mac b
Intermediate
Default Possible Swap

Hi Rocky, my bike is yellow. Picture is attached. Are your strut covers chrome or black? I might be interested in them, your wiring harness and license plate bracket. I already have a fender, but might be willing to sell the Wide Glide chopped edition if you want to get it painted. We could swap the remaining hardward and wiring. Sounds like we both could benefit from a complete swap if everything fits.

Attached Thumbnails Dyna Wide Glide-Changeover to Bobtail Fender-wide-glide-resized.jpg  
Old 08-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mac b
Hi Rocky, my bike is yellow. Picture is attached.
Damn, I kinda liked having the only black-n-yeller WG on the forum....

Old 08-19-2010, 10:37 PM
20RoadGlidin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

WIDERGLIDER - I'm in Albany, NY. Not too terribly far from CT. I've been thinking about a winter project of swapping out my 2010 Fat Bob rear fender for a 2010-11 Wide Glide fender. Since you're also interested in doing it, maybe we can work out an even swap, and both save a few bucks. We'd both have to have them painted, but the whole process would save us some coin.

Here's a thread with a parts list for changing your FB to a WG rear fender. There's also a link in there that has pics from someone who has done the swap. It looks good:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...a-fat-bob.html

Old 08-19-2010, 11:11 PM
rockymtnhigh
Cruiser

This thread is too funny.. Fatbob guys want chopped fenders.. Wide Glide guys want bob tails. I hope someone from the MOCO reads this. You guys have any idea on what it might cost for paint? Last summer I paid a guy $100 bucks just to paint a sporty front fender one color. He did a great job but I thought that was expensive. That's why I'd really like to find someone with a black fender we can trade straight up.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:08 AM
20RoadGlidin
Road Master

Originally Posted by rockymtnhigh
This thread is too funny.. Fatbob guys want chopped fenders.. Wide Glide guys want bob tails. I hope someone from the MOCO reads this. You guys have any idea on what it might cost for paint? Last summer I paid a guy $100 bucks just to paint a sporty front fender one color. He did a great job but I thought that was expensive. That's why I'd really like to find someone with a black fender we can trade straight up.
Lol I know, we're all wacked. When I was shopping for my bike, I was having a b*tch of a time deciding between a FB and a WG. I liked the WG for its rake, seat, and rear fender/tailights. I liked the FB for its bars, dual brake discs, fat wheels and tank, chrome covered shocks, handling, and dual headlight (which I've grown to dislike, hence the 7 incher that's going on very soon). I decided on the FB just because it had more virtues that I was looking for. Now I am trying to turn my FB into a what I'm calling a Fat Glide lol.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:11 AM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

20 mins of cut and paste.
Maybe the MOCO will listen?

Last edited by schwangster; 12-18-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:14 AM
20RoadGlidin
Road Master

Originally Posted by schwangster
20 mins of cut and paste.
Maybe the MOCO will listen?
Is it me or do they both look better that way!?!

Quick Reply: Dyna Wide Glide-Changeover to Bobtail Fender