Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running no fender, how much will fork brace help, how good are steering dampners

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:34 PM
jordanball33
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running no fender, how much will fork brace help, how good are steering dampers

i love the corners but they havent been as stable since i swapped to the wide glide trees and lost the fender

ive been running fenderless for a while now, im just wondering if a fork brace will give me much more noticeable difference than if i just cut the fender off about 3 inches wide?

and on top of that, how much will i notice with the steering damper.

had a shitty tire up front, so i just ordered some 880 metzlers and im thinking with that tire combo and a steering damper/ forkbrace(cut fender) i will stick to the road better

is any or all this necessary to achieve what i want?

Last edited by jordanball33; 08-18-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:08 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Some people think a fork brace on such a short/thick front end is a waste of money. Personally, do you really think a tube that is 2" in diameter is going to flex much? Remember fork braces were designed back when HD's had 39mm and 41mm front ends. Much thinner and well....theoretically would allow more flex.

Some people claim an "OMG, what a difference" after installing a fork brace. Others claim no benefit at all except a nice chunk of metal up front.

So, the concept of a fork brace on a 49mm front end is subjective.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:17 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 449 Likes on 265 Posts

If you're noticing a difference without a fender, you'll probably notice a difference with a fork brace...as far as tires, my wife can tell the difference tires make on her bike (went from stockers to Metzlers)

Old 08-19-2010, 09:18 AM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO the fender wont do anything to help your cause. My fork brace didnt make much of a difference either. The True Track did!

Old 08-19-2010, 11:46 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with Vic. I have little faith in fork braces from a performance standpoint. On the contrary, I think they look kinda cool without a fender.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:16 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by redrubicon2004
IMO the fender wont do anything to help your cause. My fork brace didnt make much of a difference either. The True Track did!
Agreed! I don't have a WG, but a True-Track kit transformed my Dyna (and my Glide).

Old 08-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Cmat
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 FXDX with new Metzlers

I have a 99 FXDX that I just put new Metzlers on the front and rear. It did make a noticible difference in the curves but I also feel that I don't have as much stability as I would prefer. My brother in law has a 2004 Road King Classic and in comparison it hugs the curves much better than my Super Glide. I wondered about the fork stabilizers as well. I just ordered a Fatboy handle bar to replace the buckhorns that are on it to see if a wider bar will take care of the stability feel. Any thoughts you guys have is appreciated.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Dynamic
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default No brace for me

If the brace isn't EXACTLY the same center to center of your forks, it can cause stiction and binding of the fork which will degrade your performance. The brace can improve handling under front braking IF you have a massive brake on one side of a single brake setup or if you have a wimpy front axle. These new forks have massive axles and large diameter stiff tubes. If the axle clamps the two sliders and the front wheel tightly together, no need for a brace unless you have a powerful single disc. VERY powerful single disc. And VERY sticky front tire.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Cmat
I have a 99 FXDX that I just put new Metzlers on the front and rear. It did make a noticible difference in the curves but I also feel that I don't have as much stability as I would prefer. My brother in law has a 2004 Road King Classic and in comparison it hugs the curves much better than my Super Glide. I wondered about the fork stabilizers as well. I just ordered a Fatboy handle bar to replace the buckhorns that are on it to see if a wider bar will take care of the stability feel. Any thoughts you guys have is appreciated.
It is just possible wider bars will make things worst. When riding at speed it is tempting to grip the bars tight which can partly cause the feeling of instability. As we have already stated, get yourself a True-Track stabilizer kit and be amazed how much better it makes your bike. Then you can fit what bars you like!

Old 08-20-2010, 02:07 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i run progressive front springs, 15w fork oil, stearing damper, my front fender the support has welded in supports, but i really need a fork brace (i notice a huge diff in older bikes that i cafe out and run a brace on, so it could only help) and a 120 metzler up front and a 170 in back... i can turn my harley like no other... it handles like it is on rails in the turns, i run a motion pro stearing damper... but like chad said true track is a must if you want to rip turns, my next purchase is a track and brace... from there new shocks in back... air ride

Quick Reply: running no fender, how much will fork brace help, how good are steering dampners