Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleys can hang with SOME crotch rockets!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:43 PM
TimBob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harleys can hang with SOME crotch rockets!

A little background on my bike and myself (I'm 47 yo). Me...I'ma fairly profecient rider growing up on dirt bickes, then naked sport bikes, and later crotch rockets. USAF put a damper on riding during my travels so I wasn't able to enjoy the biker experience as much as I would have liked.

Bought a metric cruser in '06...fun, but not what I wanted.

Bought '10 Street Bob Feb '10 and immediately fell in love with the bike and this forum! Tons of good info on here and I thank you all for the great answers (even the funny ones).

Now for my rant: I find many on here that say "If you want a crotch rocket, go buy one". To me that is a complete farce! I know many folks here don't want to "scream and fly" but for those of us that prefer the rpm's to the right side of the range (as long as there is a SAFE place to experience it, be SAFE and enjoy.

MY Street Bob has a 106 S&S, S&S 585c cams, PCV with canned map, and minor head work. I plan ona dyno tune as $$$ allow as it is running a little rich at the moment. As it runs now, I have had the opportunity to show somepretty well built bikes that it takes some effort on their part to "hang".

I explained to the indy that did my work that the bike is a daily driver(needs to be competely reliable) however I wanted to SUPRISE some of the sport bike riders. I have had a couple ask me to pull over so that we could discuss the bike and mods performed.

Not knocking the "big bike" riders here. I happen to like MOST all bikes. Just don't get in the HD propoganda that a Harley can't be what you what it to be or that fallacy that they can't get out of their own way.

Rants can begin now. I'm Thick skinned!

Old 08-18-2010, 10:14 PM
rbartick
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

A good rider on a modern 600cc Metric sport bike will wax you. A big bore Metric sport bike will be much worse.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:27 PM
lrays280z
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you're spending money and having fun! Go get em...whatch out for cops though. The crotch rocket may get away...but you'll have a tougher time.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:36 PM
09sporty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uh yeah congrats on spending your money and making your slow bike only slightly less slow. as previously stated almost any sportbike at or over 600cc will blow the doors off the streetbob, anyone that rides said metric, and is impressed by your "speed" mods obviously doesn't know how to ride their sport bike

Old 08-18-2010, 10:37 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup I came from a GSXR 1000 and must say you could put whatever you want in a HD and it isnt gonna touch my Gixxer. You may succeed in getting your HD fast enough to get in trouble with the law, but on a Gixxer 1000 it gets me right back out of it too.. try that with your Streetbob and you gonna find yourself in a world of crap.

I ride a streetbob now and it is what it is. One sweet looking 700 pound cruiser with around 100to 135 HP if you are a engine GURU. Not a 375 lb machine with 155 HP like a GSXR.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:38 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Throw enough money at nearly anything and you can make it into something else.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:58 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

As someone that also rides a sportbike (93 CBR 900RR), I have to say that there is really no way that a competent rider on a sport bike could be outperformed by a Dyna. Nothing bad about that, I ride both and accept the limitations of both (Dyna: Speed/Handling, CBR: Comfort). Both I feel are great machines for what they are intended for, but we have to accept that they are what they are. Try a full lean turn on your Dyna, you'll hit a peg before you can even get a respectable angle. Why? Because the bike is simply not a race bike. I love all 2 wheeled machines and respect them all for what they are. Besides, the road is just that, the road, not a race track, so I am never out to out run or race anyone, ever. ROads are hazardous enough when just riding responsibly....

So why don't any of the Harley riders wave to me when I am on my CBR? :-(

Last edited by DeathProof72; 08-18-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:16 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DeathProof72

There are many days I miss my CBR but my inner child escaped too many times when I had it. Seemed the throttle on it was just on/off if I remember right.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:23 PM
rbartick
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
As someone that also rides a sportbike (93 CBR 900RR
Almost as old as my '92 ZX-11, which I've owned since 1993.

Originally Posted by ackman1968
There are many days I miss my CBR but my inner child escaped too many times when I had it. Seemed the throttle on it was just on/off if I remember right.
I'm not sure about the CBR - but my ZX-11 has more throttle throw and much better throttle response than my HD does. It also has a much, much wider rev range. I can bring it down close to it's 1,000 RPM idle in top gear (6th) or rev it up to 12,000. It is pretty happy at just about any RPM and it will run close to 70 MPH in 1st gear.

Last edited by rbartick; 08-18-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:39 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

Originally Posted by rbartick
Almost as old as my '92 ZX-11, which I've owned since 1993.I'm not sure about the CBR - but my ZX-11 has more throttle throw and much better throttle response than my HD does. It also has a much, much wider rev range. I can bring it down close to it's 1,000 RPM idle in top gear (6th) or rev it up to 12,000. It is pretty happy at just about any RPM and it will run close to 70 MPH in 1st gear.
Same here. Wayy easier to get power out of virtually anywhere in the rev range, something I do miss when on my Harley...

Quick Reply: Harleys can hang with SOME crotch rockets!