Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleys can hang with SOME crotch rockets!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think sportbikes rev to 8k-10k rpm

More like 12k - 15k.

Harleys can't do that mostly because they're a pushrod motor. The pushrods deflect and bend which limits their max RPM. Not to mention the stroke. Good Lord, 4 3/8" ?? Unreal. Then there's the fact that both pistons are traveling up and down at essentially the same time. That's no help either.

The Japanese take their racing very, very seriously. Very seriously. Honda spent $500,000,000 (five hundred million or, a half BILLION dollars) developing a motor to compete in Formula 1. The Japanese virtually invented motorcycle racing on pavement in this country. Before Japanese bikes, there was somewhere around zero (0) interest in hard track motorcycle racing.

With some of the best engineers in the world working for the Japanese companies, with them throwing tens of millions of dollars at their race teams --

Who's the NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycle Champ again?

Old 08-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Shags
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbartick

I'm not sure about the CBR - but my ZX-11 has more throttle throw and much better throttle response than my HD does. It also has a much, much wider rev range. I can bring it down close to it's 1,000 RPM idle in top gear (6th) or rev it up to 12,000. It is pretty happy at just about any RPM ande it will run close to 70 MPH in 1st gear.
This is why I don't have a sportbike anymore. Doing 70 between stoplights got old fast. Plus the comfort thing. Doing 150 on the highway was fun for a while but now I just enjoy cruising on the Streetbob.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:20 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Take a look at this site: http://www.rosascycle.com/racing/racing.html

This is a Shovel!

Andrew did all the performance work on my FXDL.

Originally Posted by redrubicon2004
I wish mine was that fast!

My buddy had one of the first REAL rockets made, The 1987 CBR600 Check out the 1/4 mile times they put down back then. 11.23, your harley wouldnt hang with an antique rocket with a good rider.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Kev_England
Tourer

If I still had a sport bike I'd probably be dead by now.
Any modern sport bike 675cc or greater will not be able to be raced to full capacity by an average rider.
When I was in my 20's i used to race the **** off them, but now in my 40's my relexes are not as good and my back doesnt like being hunched over.

But for sure, I've got a stage 2 kit on the shopping list in case I want to give it some welly now and then!

Old 08-19-2010, 09:33 AM
09sporty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimBob
I don't condone street racing, but a quick blast through 3rd gear usually lets them knowsomething is up. And it is funny listening to the excuses that they come up with as to what is wrong with their bike, and I have heard quite a few. EX: spun tire; missed shift; need tuneup; new bike and need to learn to ride it better; etc!

Harley fast? Maybe not! But plenty fast enough to have FUN! Ride safe!
Thats the essential problem. I rode an 84 honda sabre a long time ago and it would do 0 to 60 in 1st gear, no missed shifts. I guess if you are racing posers, or people with new bikes yeah they're going to be impressed. the whole problem with making harley's go fast is that you can spend what it costs for a complete fast bike just to make your bike fast, and then what do you do when a turn shows up? at the end of the day your bike is still slow and still handles like crap. I had a gsxr 750, and like previously mentioned by others the throttle had two positions on and off. I guess i've changed as a rider, but I enjoy my fxdb a ton more than my gsxr. My stage 1 fxdb is plenty fast enough to have fun, but if I beat anyone off a stoplight it's only due to the myriad of excuses you state above.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:42 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I said those HP numbers for a Hd are possible IF you know what your doing. Just look at bigdaddys specs on his sig a few posts up. His bike is about as bad **** as a Dyna gets!

Just a note. That ghostrider video that you guys watched is an 02 GSXR 1000 just like mine..... Now do you see what that bike is capable of?? That is cranking a Full Liter Bike to its limits. He also had some videos with that bike with a Turbo kit installed. My buddy in West virginia had one that he did a Turbo on once and while on the Dyno the blowoff valve stuck and he accidentally hit 16lbs of boost and 227HP
He like Ghostrider has Terminal cancer and lives life to the max.

I will only be doing a High Comp 95 kit/cams/ and the usual supporting ingredients to get mine around 100HP. Its really fine the way it is but I have Tinkeritis.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:52 AM
rbartick
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by *****
This is why I don't have a sportbike anymore. Doing 70 between stoplights got old fast. Plus the comfort thing. Doing 150 on the highway was fun for a while but now I just enjoy cruising on the Streetbob.

I enjoy crusing as well (thus my 2010 WG). My 1100cc sport bike can be ridden around very slowly and it doesn't mind being bogged all the way down near idle. It runs silky smooth at just about any RPM and it has plenty of throttle throw (not on/off). To be honest I don't use the sport bike much now, I'm usually on the HD.

The wide open power my sport bike has is pretty brutal, forget about riding it wide open in 1st and second unless you really know what you are doing. It starts to make big power by 3,000 RPM and by 6,000 RPM the front wheel is off the ground (no clutching), you have to lay on the tank to keep it down. It keeps building power and doesn't fall off until you smack the rev limiter at over 12,000 RPM. The ride can be described as violent.

My HD requires much more shifting than my sport bike does. If I try to lug my HD around at low RPM it shakes and makes all sorts of nasty sounds. The HD also does not like to rev high, the usable RPM range is fairly narrow. I can lug my sport bike around in 6th gear at 35 MPH right off idle and it runs smooth and quiet. It will not accelerate quickly off idle in 6th gear, but it will not shake, rattle, or complain. The same 35 MPH on my HD puts me in 3rd gear, which results in an RPM which is in a good part of the HD's torque curve. If I try to shift my HD to 4th at 35 MPH I'll lug the motor.

Now let’s say my sport bike in 6th gear pulls up next to my HD in 3rd gear, both bikes doing 35 MPH. Hit both bikes and the HD is going to pull away hard. Drop the sport bike down to 3rd and it is long gone. Drop the sport bike down to 1st and the front wheel will point towards the sky while the bike leaves into the next zip code.

Last edited by rbartick; 08-19-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:05 AM
risdo
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey - my FXD is quicker than most cars. That's good enough for me.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Punchsmack
Road Captain

Originally Posted by m i k e
want fast check this nutcase out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShacMAn_HK8
this dude has ***** of steel
he comes within hairs of some cars at over 165 MPH!!!!
WOW! 5-6 times within the first 5 minutes I thought he was dead for sure.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:24 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

He is terminally ill. He will pass,if he hasnt already. I havent found anything recent from him. Maybe he is already gone. You have to respect him for steppin up and fighting the power......

Quick Reply: Harleys can hang with SOME crotch rockets!